U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-11-2006, 09:29 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,417 posts, read 29,545,781 times
Reputation: 29927

Advertisements

I can't complain too much. I'm just beginning to feel arthritus in my knees and left arm. I have BAD allergys, I give myself two shots a week. I'm concerned about my memory sometimes. My mother's memory is really bad, but she's 88 and in real good health, still lives by herself. So I guess I have a lot to be thankful for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2006, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,698,771 times
Reputation: 2086
My mom has MS and that is a concern, they say it isnt inherited but her aunt had it so knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2006, 10:57 PM
 
Location: FL
1,318 posts, read 5,303,610 times
Reputation: 910
MoMark - aren't you the one that's Matt? As in you're a male? Not to be rude cause it doesn't matter but I thought you were male but you sound like a female!
I have red hair & blue eyes as well (no freckles thank god! no offense! )
and again no offense but I always had the sense to stay out of the sun! Dude! Whasamattafoyou??? When I used to have the luxury of walking to work I ALWAYS used an umbrella!!! I'm all too aware of skin cancer! (And I also don't want to get any darker! No offense meant - again - but I'm glow in the dark & wouldn't change it for anything!!! )
Well good luck & use your sunblock!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2006, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Springfield, Missouri
2,814 posts, read 11,897,970 times
Reputation: 2000001281
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
MoMark - aren't you the one that's Matt? As in you're a male? Not to be rude cause it doesn't matter but I thought you were male but you sound like a female!
I have red hair & blue eyes as well (no freckles thank god! no offense! )
and again no offense but I always had the sense to stay out of the sun! Dude! Whasamattafoyou??? When I used to have the luxury of walking to work I ALWAYS used an umbrella!!! I'm all too aware of skin cancer! (And I also don't want to get any darker! No offense meant - again - but I'm glow in the dark & wouldn't change it for anything!!! )
Well good luck & use your sunblock!!!
Yep, dat'd be moi elfyum Well, I grew up in Ca and spent time out in the sun with all the other kids growing up swimming, etc. I wore a white t-shirt when swimming, but it turns out that provides zippo protection when it's wet. I got lots of burns on beaches in Santa Cruz etc., one time so bad I had to have my clothes cut off. Then I was in the Navy, two years in Guantanamo where I actually did use sunblocks, but I also got burned a lot down there too and then I was in Honduras for a stint. In my adult life, my last sunburn was in Manila, Philippines when I was working there. I didn't realize the sun was so much stronger and I ended up with another big burn The skin cancer usually emerges or develops ten -twenty years down the road, so I've been paying ever since for stuff I did years ago. I like being in the sun, and contrary to popular belief, I think a bit of sun exposure helps you AGAINST skin cancer, but...hells bells, it's too late for me. I've got to deal with what I've got and it's not fun, not pretty, and that's just what I've been dealt. Like I said though, otherwise I'm in excellent shape..thank goodness!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2006, 04:47 PM
 
Location: NJ/SC
4,286 posts, read 13,119,485 times
Reputation: 2578
Anyone familiar with RSD? I have had four doctors say they "think" I have this disorder. I did research about it on the internet but I would like to speak with someone that actually has it. I've had this problem since last April and it comes and goes but I just woke up one day and I couldn't lift my arm, open my hand, swollen lymph notes everywhere and extreme pain from my neck to my hand. I had to go to emergency twice because of the pain and had cat scans head to toe. Finially went to physical therapy for a couple months but the pain just doesn't seem to go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2006, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Jersey
2,098 posts, read 5,784,889 times
Reputation: 938
Well, I'm a mess. Let's see at 29 when I had my youngest (I guess, 28 into 29), I had already had a couple of more pounds on then normal, but the pregnancy pushed me over the line into blimp-dom. I had carpal tunnel syndrome from the pregnancy (actually, it must've been building up over time, because once in awhile my hands would feel weird, but pregnancy weight totally enhanced it). I also got bad feet. The weird thing is, the apartment we were living in was so bad that in late fall/early winter, before the baby was born, my feet would ache after standing in the kitchen. I figured it was because the floor was soooo extremely cold (we found out the house had no insulation and actually no heat either...yes, we moved). Anyway, I figured my socks on the cold floor didn't really protect my feet and they ached from being so cold. Once I'd warm them, they'd be better. However, if I got out of bed in the middle of the night, I would have to limp because they were so sore and they also felt tight, as if the tendons between the sole of my foot and my ankle were tight and not stretched (atrophy maybe). I also had bad knees from the extra weight (all my pregnancies). The knee thing goes away as soon as I lose weight. So did the carpal tunnel. But the foot thing has yet to go away. I know when I even gain 1-2 pounds because my carpal and/or my knees will start hurting again. Sometimes when I type too long, the carpal acts up anyway...I guess that's something I'll always be stuck with, it's livable though. But the foot thing....don't know what it is. When I walk too much (i.e. at the park, etc.), I'm fine until I sit, then they throb to the point that sometimes I whine and cry from it. If I sit too long (no matter where I sit) once I get up, I have to limp and crouch over like I'm 100 years old because the pain is so bad I can't put pressure on my feet until I feel like they've "stretched" out enough. It's all in my heels though. Sometimes my husband will try to massage them but it doesn't hurt when he touches them (weird). Other times, he will simply push on or squeeze my heel and they are so tender it's like that ecstasy/pain at the same time. Sometimes, I'll make him gently punch my heels that's how bad I need it. And lastly, sometimes, the only thing that works is the heating pad (IF it even works). I haven't gotten completely back to my original weight yet, so I don't know if it'll go away with weight loss, but it seems like I need to be active to get in shape, but being active puts me in more pain once I stop. All I know is I'm sick of being in my 30's, mentally feeling like I'm in my 20's-30's (sometimes I feel like I'm 10 too LOL) yet physically, I feel like I'm 112. Anyone ever hear of those symptoms???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2006, 05:39 AM
 
1,104 posts, read 3,059,509 times
Reputation: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Well, I'm a mess. Let's see at 29 when I had my youngest (I guess, 28 into 29), I had already had a couple of more pounds on then normal, but the pregnancy pushed me over the line into blimp-dom. I had carpal tunnel syndrome from the pregnancy (actually, it must've been building up over time, because once in awhile my hands would feel weird, but pregnancy weight totally enhanced it). I also got bad feet. The weird thing is, the apartment we were living in was so bad that in late fall/early winter, before the baby was born, my feet would ache after standing in the kitchen. I figured it was because the floor was soooo extremely cold (we found out the house had no insulation and actually no heat either...yes, we moved). Anyway, I figured my socks on the cold floor didn't really protect my feet and they ached from being so cold. Once I'd warm them, they'd be better. However, if I got out of bed in the middle of the night, I would have to limp because they were so sore and they also felt tight, as if the tendons between the sole of my foot and my ankle were tight and not stretched (atrophy maybe). I also had bad knees from the extra weight (all my pregnancies). The knee thing goes away as soon as I lose weight. So did the carpal tunnel. But the foot thing has yet to go away. I know when I even gain 1-2 pounds because my carpal and/or my knees will start hurting again. Sometimes when I type too long, the carpal acts up anyway...I guess that's something I'll always be stuck with, it's livable though. But the foot thing....don't know what it is. When I walk too much (i.e. at the park, etc.), I'm fine until I sit, then they throb to the point that sometimes I whine and cry from it. If I sit too long (no matter where I sit) once I get up, I have to limp and crouch over like I'm 100 years old because the pain is so bad I can't put pressure on my feet until I feel like they've "stretched" out enough. It's all in my heels though. Sometimes my husband will try to massage them but it doesn't hurt when he touches them (weird). Other times, he will simply push on or squeeze my heel and they are so tender it's like that ecstasy/pain at the same time. Sometimes, I'll make him gently punch my heels that's how bad I need it. And lastly, sometimes, the only thing that works is the heating pad (IF it even works). I haven't gotten completely back to my original weight yet, so I don't know if it'll go away with weight loss, but it seems like I need to be active to get in shape, but being active puts me in more pain once I stop. All I know is I'm sick of being in my 30's, mentally feeling like I'm in my 20's-30's (sometimes I feel like I'm 10 too LOL) yet physically, I feel like I'm 112. Anyone ever hear of those symptoms???

Actally yes, Pixie. Being female and the age I am, I sometimes experience that. I think it's hormonal and how your hormones can sometimes affect circulation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2006, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Jersey
2,098 posts, read 5,784,889 times
Reputation: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
Actally yes, Pixie. Being female and the age I am, I sometimes experience that. I think it's hormonal and how your hormones can sometimes affect circulation.

That's what I think it is too, poor circulation (although they don't usually feel like they fell asleep or have pins and needles) but I'm convinced it's that or has something to do with that. What kind of stuff do you do to remedy that (without going to the doctor and paying a million bucks to take some medication that will give me liver damage down the road?) Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2006, 10:49 AM
 
1,104 posts, read 3,059,509 times
Reputation: 571
I don't do doctors. I lie down for awhile and keep my feet elevated (your blood circulates better) and if its really bad I take an asprin (thins the blood.) Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2006, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Jersey
2,098 posts, read 5,784,889 times
Reputation: 938
Thank you...don't worry about not being a "help", you were because at least I know I'm not alone or completely strange
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top