Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 07:58 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,154,449 times

Advertisements

Anyone here get their eyeglass prescription filled at one of the "cheapo" places? What was your experience?

I bought frames from such a place and the frames are all one-size fits all ! Most are made in China and therefore seem to be sized to fit the averaged shaped Asian heads (the Native Indians here in NM, for example seem to do fine with the frames). Well, I don't have an Asian head and the temples have been readjusted 3 times in one month and still hurt my ears. Never had this problem with glasses from the high priced optical stores. Do cheap frames just not hold their shape when "adjusted"? --Or did I just get a bad frame?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 09:03 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
There are online stores discussed previously. Use the "search this forum" to see the ones people like.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:33 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
I bought cheap frames once many years ago, they were plastic ones. One day I was just standing there and they literally split in the middle on my nose and fell to the ground. I haven't bought cheap ones ever since.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:19 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
An acquaintance suggested one of those "chain" places and it was a mistake. I should have done the glasses at
my ophthalmologist's office. I may have paid $15.00 more but it would have been worth it since that "cheap eye
place" made so many errors, thus 2-3 trips and in the end the varied lense was so off, that I couldn't use them.
Will be going to the ophthalmologist's office for new lenses in the old frames this week.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:29 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
The optical quality of budget glasses is fine. They exactly meet the Rx. In fact, they probably come closer to meeting your optometrist's specifications, than the accuracy of your optometrist's prescription in the first place for your eyes.

But the frames are usually pretty weak, and break easily. If you often lose glasses, or want several pairs for fashion variations, they are excellent. But don't expect one pair to last decades.

By "budget glasses", I am referring to $10 a par online. As for walk-in stores that advertise cheaper glasses, again, the optics will be perfect, but the frames are the weak link.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:27 AM

17,374 posts, read 16,518,282 times
I've gotten glasses/contacts from Hour Eyes. They aren't exactly dirt cheap but they are decent quality and they last. Fast, too.

I have never bought the $99 budget frames, so I don't know how well those hold up.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
We have used everything from the cheapest budget companies to close to the top of the line, no the cheap frames are not going to be as good, obviously, but we were satisfied. I would suggest you get 2 pair just in case. But having 2 pair is always a good idea, for backup.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:58 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,219,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Anyone here get their eyeglass prescription filled at one of the "cheapo" places? What was your experience?

I bought frames from such a place and the frames are all one-size fits all ! Most are made in China and therefore seem to be sized to fit the averaged shaped Asian heads (the Native Indians here in NM, for example seem to do fine with the frames). Well, I don't have an Asian head and the temples have been readjusted 3 times in one month and still hurt my ears. Never had this problem with glasses from the high priced optical stores. Do cheap frames just not hold their shape when "adjusted"? --Or did I just get a bad frame?
The frames that you pay top dollar for at a local optometrist's shop are probably made in China, too.

My last locally purchased eyeglasses were made in China and cost me $660. Since then, I've been ordering all of my glasses online from Zenni optical and Goggles4U. Each pair costs around $100. I've ordered about 8 pairs of glasses online in the last 6 years, and while a couple of the frames did seem kind of cheap I've been satisfied overall.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:11 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
The real problem was the initial fitting, as skilled technician would have identified the fitting problem, prior to ordering the frames.

Wal Mart carries a brand of frames called "phaat head", for larger heads.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:46 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
I never thought in a million years I'd recommend Walmart, but I was there earlier tonight and tried on several nice frames. I really liked a pair that didn't have a price tag and asked, "How much?" They were $5 bucks!

I agree with Jasper that the skill of the technician is the key in getting glasses to fit properly. I have the opposite problem and find that buying from the children's rack works for me, but the quality of the lenses is more important. So even if I go back and buy the $5 frames, I'll still end up paying around $100.

Just a note that might help someone. Earlier this year I bought sunglasses and only got a $30 tint instead of paying $80 for polarized lenses. Bad mistake. If you live in an area where the sun is intense or drive a lot, polarized lenses make a huge difference. The tint on my glasses appears to be very dark, but when I'm wearing them, there's hardly any difference at all. They do absolutely nothing to cut glare when the sun reflects off of other cars or the road. So spend the extra money to protect your eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness