U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2013, 07:34 PM
Status: "Support the Mining Law of 1872" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: Cody, WY
7,739 posts, read 8,533,888 times
Reputation: 14444

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
They can deny your claim for any reason they want. If a person is in a wheelchair,blind and only one arm they can even deny his claim. They can say he has the ability to answer the phone and therefore can work at a job answering the phone and that would be the end of it..Its not fair but they do this all the time.
What's not fair about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-13-2013, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Cartersville, GA
1,231 posts, read 2,603,015 times
Reputation: 1029
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
What is your disability? On your SSI application, what is your medical reason for being unable to work?
50 posts, and this question still has not been answered. I am assuming that the OP is perfectly capable of working full time (based on his efforts to obtain employment.) One does not qualify for SSI unless he/she is disabled. The lack of disability is apparently the reason for his justified denial. If the OP is 65 or older, then the disability criterion may not apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
... If a person is in a wheelchair,blind and only one arm they can even deny his claim.
Actually, blindness is an automatic qualifier for SSI, per SSA Guidelines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2013, 01:02 AM
 
5,150 posts, read 5,956,905 times
Reputation: 1416
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
They can deny your claim for any reason they want. If a person is in a wheelchair,blind and only one arm they can even deny his claim. They can say he has the ability to answer the phone and therefore can work at a job answering the phone and that would be the end of it..Its not fair but they do this all the time.
That's SSDI not SSI. SSI application assumes SSDI has already been approved. The waste here is the OP hasn't been pinned down on:

1) Are they on SSDI and for which condition?

2) If you are applying for jobs and can work and be paid more than $100ish a month you aren't qualified for either program.

3) If you are on SSDI and wish to attempt to return to work (which is great) then there are programs that SS can help make that transition where you still receive benefits at the same time.

Of course if the OP will make less than the threshold, have SSI and SSDI that's pretty good.

SSI also depends on having hardly any assets. What gets me is to see a thread like this get so big when the OP won't list basic info. This is like requesting help that is beneficial instead of help based on the circumstances. "Help me get what I want" instead of "Help me figure out if I'm qualified and what is best".

This reminds me of that carpet guy in the NC forum whom I believe has posted in two forums about his landlord wanting to rip him off for carpet replacement. He won't tell us what the landlord wants. Just ignores the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2013, 01:58 AM
 
16,487 posts, read 18,959,893 times
Reputation: 16085
A person can apply for SSI and if they get approved SS will check their previous work record. If they have worked and made a certain amount of money then SSDI will kick in and pay depending on how much money you made in the past. If you have never worked or worked very little then they will just pay you SSI. Even if you get both SSDI as well as SSI it adds up to still be nearly the exact same amount of what people get for SSI alone. There are people that get approved the very first time, but that is not the norm anymore. Some people think that they can hire these attorneys like the OP did that specialize in seeking SSI for their clients, but that is no guarantee that they will be approved. The bottom line is if SS does not believe that you are disabled you will not be approved, attorney or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2013, 02:20 AM
 
5,150 posts, read 5,956,905 times
Reputation: 1416
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
A person can apply for SSI and if they get approved SS will check their previous work record. If they have worked and made a certain amount of money then SSDI will kick in and pay depending on how much money you made in the past. If you have never worked or worked very little then they will just pay you SSI. Even if you get both SSDI as well as SSI it adds up to still be nearly the exact same amount of what people get for SSI alone. There are people that get approved the very first time, but that is not the norm anymore. Some people think that they can hire these attorneys like the OP did that specialize in seeking SSI for their clients, but that is no guarantee that they will be approved. The bottom line is if SS does not believe that you are disabled you will not be approved, attorney or not.
People say the policy is to deny everyone for SSDI round one. That may be true in a lot of cases. However, the best thing to build a case is not an attorney though those can help. The best thing is to build your medical records. A lot of people are truly disabled but without enough time in medical records to prove it. So a good SS lawyer will tell you to start going to regular doctor appointments to add paper to your file.

Since the time between reconsideration and a hearing can be considerable, that's often enough time to get your medical condition memorialized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2013, 11:27 AM
 
12 posts, read 16,517 times
Reputation: 13
Hi I am 26 and have not been able to work or keep a job in 2 years. I have been into 6 impatient treatment centers with each GAF score at 40. I have been diagnosed with PTSD, substance abuse, Major Anxiety Disorder, Depression, Bi polar and ADD and also have undergone pain management for a lower back injury. I have been put on seraquel, wellbutrin, paxil, neurotin, and vivans. I live in Florida and this is my first time applying for Ssi. I filled out the application a month ago and am in the process of filling out the adult report and I have requested all medical documentation from my past and present. My question is should I hire a lawyer for this? Also do you think I will qualify and if so roughly how long until I can recieve benifits?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2013, 11:28 AM
 
12 posts, read 16,517 times
Reputation: 13
I also have been set up for a phone interview at the end of next month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2013, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
18,815 posts, read 49,402,503 times
Reputation: 16664
You will have to be scheduled for an interview with a psychologist if your state is like mine. Then it takes about 6-8 weeks to hear what the next step is. I do these evals so that is how it works in TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2013, 04:56 AM
 
16,487 posts, read 18,959,893 times
Reputation: 16085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano1432 View Post
Hi I am 26 and have not been able to work or keep a job in 2 years. I have been into 6 impatient treatment centers with each GAF score at 40. I have been diagnosed with PTSD, substance abuse, Major Anxiety Disorder, Depression, Bi polar and ADD and also have undergone pain management for a lower back injury. I have been put on seraquel, wellbutrin, paxil, neurotin, and vivans. I live in Florida and this is my first time applying for Ssi. I filled out the application a month ago and am in the process of filling out the adult report and I have requested all medical documentation from my past and present. My question is should I hire a lawyer for this? Also do you think I will qualify and if so roughly how long until I can recieve benifits?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
The key is to have all of your medical/psychiatric records available to Social Security when this process begins. It sounds like you should have a lot of records if you have been in and out of treatment centers for 2 years at least. Get copies of every single record you can that will help your case. Despite what people here say, some people do get accepted the very first time they apply. The process is slow involving paperwork from your end, medical records being sent, often a phone interview and also often them sending you to a professional of their own to be evaluated. No one can tell you if you will or will not get accepted or how long it will take, that varies alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Cartersville, GA
1,231 posts, read 2,603,015 times
Reputation: 1029
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
The key is to have all of your medical/psychiatric records available to Social Security when this process begins. It sounds like you should have a lot of records if you have been in and out of treatment centers for 2 years at least. Get copies of every single record you can that will help your case. Despite what people here say, some people do get accepted the very first time they apply. The process is slow involving paperwork from your end, medical records being sent, often a phone interview and also often them sending you to a professional of their own to be evaluated. No one can tell you if you will or will not get accepted or how long it will take, that varies alot.
Very, very true. The most important things you can do are (1) give the SSA the names of ALL of the physicians you have ever seen, AND (2) Follow up with all of those physicians after they have received the request for records from the SSA. If one or more of your physicians fails to send the records, it can very easily result in a denial. In some cases, your case might not even be reviewed by Disability Adjudication Services if all you your records have not been received. Without a review from DAS, it's impossible to get an approval.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top