U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 08:48 AM

12 posts, read 18,486 times

Advertisements

Thank you Southern, Broken and Touche. I have all my records and the ones from my recent phyciatrist who has me on Paxil for my PTSD, Bipolar, Neurotin for Major Anxiety, Vivans for ADD and Welbutrin for Depression, and am also on Roboxin and Motrin 800 for a bulging disc/lower back injury from a car accident. I prefer not to go to the pain mamagment clinic anymore for the oxycodone and diladins, they are too addiciting and I am in Recovery and go to meetings for my substance abuse. Do I need to get a meeting list signed to show that I attend NA/AA meetings for my Substance abuse problem? Also do I need records from my old pain managment doctor?

Most important question is Should I hire an attorney for disablity? I was told to do so, but was told that they get paid 25% of my first disablity payment which the longer the lawyer wants to delay the process the more the lawyer will make?

Thank you everyone for the quick responses.

God bless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 10:03 AM

1,247 posts, read 2,839,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano1432 View Post
Most important question is Should I hire an attorney for disablity? I was told to do so, but was told that they get paid 25% of my first disablity payment which the longer the lawyer wants to delay the process the more the lawyer will make?
Getting an attorney at this point may make it a little more likely for you to get approved, since attorneys and their paralegals are very familiar with the system. They know a few tricks that might make an approval more likely. That said, there is little that an attorney can do for you at this point that you cannot do for yourself. Attorneys are needed if the matter winds up in Court, but the Courts are not involved unless there is a denial and a subsequent appeal. At this point, an attorney will basically follow up with all of your doctors to make sure that they have sent in the requested records. You can do this yourself, for free.

On the other hand, if you are denied, and if you think you might need to fight the denial in Court, you really do need attorney. You will be going up against an attorney who works with the IRS, and this is not a fair fight, unless you have your own legal representation. You are unlikely to win an appeal without an attorney. Even you only take home 75% of your first check, that is a lot more than 75% of $0.00, if you loose the appeal.

Even if you are denied, you can always request that your case be reconsidered by a different DAS staff member. It's worth a shot, and you do not need an attorney to make this request.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:56 AM

19,586 posts, read 53,146,960 times
I think the records you cited are enough. If you turned them in then the next step will be the Disability Exam with a psychologist or psychiatrist. They should agree with your doc and you should get it. However, "there's many a slip" in the process. I wouldn't waste the $$ until you get denied - unless getting this money means not going homeless.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:16 PM

3,691 posts, read 3,959,509 times
Quote:
Hi I am 26 and have not been able to work or keep a job in 2 years. I have been into 6 impatient treatment centers with each GAF score at 40. I have been diagnosed with PTSD, substance abuse, Major Anxiety Disorder, Depression, Bi polar and ADD and also have undergone pain management for a lower back injury. I have been put on seraquel, wellbutrin, paxil, neurotin, and vivans. I live in Florida and this is my first time applying for Ssi. I filled out the application a month ago and am in the process of filling out the adult report and I have requested all medical documentation from my past and present. My question is should I hire a lawyer for this? Also do you think I will qualify and if so roughly how long until I can recieve benifits?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
You are 26 years old with a diagnosis of substance abuse. Get an attorney now.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:58 AM

Good morning,

Ok, thanks for the answers everyone. I have my phone interview with ssi on Monday. Can anyone give me a heads up as to the questions they will ask. My head is sometimes all over the place and I want to write down on paper what I will have to explain to them. I have been waiting for this call and do not want to say anything that I should not say.

If anyone has an idea of the questions you think they will ask me please let me know.

Thanks soo much

Old 01-25-2014, 01:34 PM

19,586 posts, read 53,146,960 times
Sorry, don't know. Good luck!

Of all the people I have examined so far, only one was not justified in my mind. Lazy, clueless 18 y/o with no ambition and no idea of what to do, no mental issues that I could find.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:14 PM

Ok,

Thank you southern. I hope it goes well.

Have a great day

Old 01-27-2014, 07:40 PM

I had my phone interview today after waiting amonth and a half and she just asked me basic questions and said that in order to get approved I have to have a phone interview with ssa which is in 2 weeks. She only wanted to know my situation as of the beginning of December 2013 when I applied. I'm confused.

Can anyone let me know what my next step would be? Or the difference with the ssi phone interview and the ssa interview?

Old 01-31-2014, 11:27 PM

548 posts, read 769,048 times
I am still waiting on hearing back from the appeal's council on my decision unsure on what to do after.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:47 AM

16,487 posts, read 20,226,408 times
Quote:
I had my phone interview today after waiting amonth and a half and she just asked me basic questions and said that in order to get approved I have to have a phone interview with ssa which is in 2 weeks. She only wanted to know my situation as of the beginning of December 2013 when I applied. I'm confused.Can anyone let me know what my next step would be? Or the difference with the ssi phone interview and the ssa interview?
I would assume that somewhere in your papework you said your disability began in Dec. 2013 and that is why they want to know what was going on them, or maybe why was it that you applied then and not earlier if your disability began much earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness