Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 01:20 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
This isn't my first time. This is my second time applying. The first time I didn't go as far as I am doing now. And my lawyer is done with me he didn't win me the case so he is done. Now it's the SSI appeals council to look everything over and decide.
If your lawyer is "done with you" he may realize your case is not winnable, that you can indeed do some kind of work to support yourself. You may try contacting another lawyer, but that too may be a waste of your time and energy. You may want to talk to a career counselor for advice. Or look into those programs for the disabled that train them for some kind of employment. Many disabled people work and are proud to be able to either support themselves or contribute to their support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 01:31 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,667,852 times
SSI stands for Self Sufficient Income.

Sheesh, I don't why some people around here don't know that.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:09 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
SSI stands for Self Sufficient Income.

Sheesh, I don't why some people around here don't know that.
Because that's not what SSI stands for. Supplemental Security Income is the correct full name.

Here's a link that explains it and even has a quick "Are You Eligible" screen. Please note that it's designed to help "blind, aged and disabled people".

Supplemental Security Income

Old 06-12-2013, 10:22 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The OP admits he has already been hired. So why would he need SSI?. Only because he doesn't like working for the man, apparently.
Napy666 is a woman in her early to mid 20s who has posted on the Relationships forum in the past. She has never held a job for long. Apparently her parents are getting tired of her sleeping half the day and staying up late into the night and not even looking for work. They've fought because she only bathes once a week. She hopes to meet a man to team up with who is willing to support her. She has not had much luck so far. This is all from her own past posts. Now I see she's trying to get SSI so she can have some kind of an income. Perhaps her parents have finally told her they want her to move out. This has nothing to do with prepping or self-sufficiency should the SHTF. This young lady needs to get in the shower, get some decent clothes, forget finding a man and sleeping all day and find work of some kind,.. or get back in school and learn some kind of trade at the least.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:14 AM

548 posts, read 890,896 times
A lot of the writing jobs screw me over becuz they'll pay me like $25 a story and only talk to me once a month or every few months to even a year or more. So thats nothing. I have tried selling stuff on ebay never got a lot of money, I have been applying to places with no luck.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:26 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,460,415 times
If this question was answered before, I missed it: What medical condition does the OP have that prevents him from working? Some people believe that disability is not a criterion for SSI. This is a common misconception. One must be disabled in order to receive SSI benefits.

Here is a good site that explains some common reasons SSI denials.

I think the biggest reason for the high denial rate is the fact that many applicants simply do not qualify for SSI.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:45 PM

119 posts, read 206,942 times
If your appeal is turned down, there are , as I understand it as many as 3 opportunities to still qualify -- It sort of works its way through the court system

Old 06-13-2013, 02:10 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,943,043 times
Moving to Health & Wellness from Self-Sufficiency & Preparedness, as the OP's question about the SSI process is not within the context of SS&P, but possibly a disability of some sort.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:04 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,279,986 times
What is your disability? On your SSI application, what is your medical reason for being unable to work?

Old 06-13-2013, 07:30 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
They can deny your claim for any reason they want. If a person is in a wheelchair,blind and only one arm they can even deny his claim. They can say he has the ability to answer the phone and therefore can work at a job answering the phone and that would be the end of it..Its not fair but they do this all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness