Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 10:46 AM

21 posts, read 522,278 times

Advertisements

My feet are pretty wide and flat, but I'm really skinny and my feet are bony. Is genetics the cause of having wide feet or not wearing shoes too often. When I was little I barely wore shoes. I've only worn them when I go out. I found a picture of some guy that never wore shoes and his feet were very wide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 12:02 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Based on what you've mentioned it would be genetics. Someone in your family's history had wide feet. Genetics can skip generations and show up again.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:14 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,340,579 times
Genetics. I have narrow feet, but when I don't wear regular shoes during the summer, they seem to get wider until I go back to wearing regular shoes. Also, as you get older, it seems that feet do get a little wider. However, it really is all what you inherit. Thank your ancestors.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Genetics. You also mention you have flat feet. Flat footed people have wider feet because their feet spread out due to the flatness. If you use orthopedic inserts for arch support, it's very likely you won't need wide width shoes. My son has flat feet. Prior to knowing this, I always had to buy him wide width shoes. Once he started wearing arch supports in his shoes, he wears normal width shoes now.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:58 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkballs View Post
I found a picture of some guy that never wore shoes and his feet were very wide.
Many, I have noticed, of the immigrant Vietnamese girls who do manicures/pedicures have wide feet, and I suspect it is for the same reason, that they went practically shoeless growing up. I do think that such feet seem more stable, and perhaps more naturally attractive, than the typical squished narrow feet in the shoe- wearing world.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:21 PM

Low and behold. In addition to genetics, being overweight causes wide feet. The weight puts pressure on the feet and flattens them.

Are Your Feet Getting Wider? | ThirdAge

Old 06-18-2013, 10:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Low and behold. In addition to genetics, being overweight causes wide feet. The weight puts pressure on the feet and flattens them.

This may or may not have anything to do with wide feet. They happen to run in our family and my husbands, but more in his. He is not over weight nor was his mom, both have very wide feet. We had a good friend in San Diego, who was grossly overweight, she wore a AA shoe. I have a weight issue and wear a medium width. So, sorry, I find it hard to accept wide feet and weight are closely related. I am sure in some cases, there would be a lot of fat on a persons feet as well as other places if they are grossly overweight, but this certainly isn't the only reason for wide feet. Heredity seems to be the number one cause.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This may or may not have anything to do with wide feet. They happen to run in our family and my husbands, but more in his. He is not over weight nor was his mom, both have very wide feet. We had a good friend in San Diego, who was grossly overweight, she wore a AA shoe. I have a weight issue and wear a medium width. So, sorry, I find it hard to accept wide feet and weight are closely related. I am sure in some cases, there would be a lot of fat on a persons feet as well as other places if they are grossly overweight, but this certainly isn't the only reason for wide feet. Heredity seems to be the number one cause.
I didn't say weight is the only cause. I said "in addition to genetics."

You didn't read the article either. The feet don't widen because of fat on the feet. The feet widen via spreading out under the pressure of the body weight above. If pressure is required, that would mean less active overweight people would be less likely to have wider feet as a result of weight. For example, an excessively obese person who doesn't leave bed often or sits in a chair all day wouldn't be putting pressure on their feet. I didn't write article. I just shared what I found. It's a podiatrist and he has been seeing an increase in wide width feet that are the result of more and more people being overweight.

I'll even challenge what many people define as not overweight. When airlines announced they would require two tickets for people who don't fit into one airplane seat, there were people interviewed on TV complaining the seats were too little for normal people who weren't overweight. Every single person who said that was overweight. They just don't view themselves as overweight because society is getting bigger and bigger. They think large is normal and 250 lbs is overweight.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

I'm actually underweight that's why I mentioned I'm really skinny but I have very wide feet.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Many, I have noticed, of the immigrant Vietnamese girls who do manicures/pedicures have wide feet, and I suspect it is for the same reason, that they went practically shoeless growing up. I do think that such feet seem more stable, and perhaps more naturally attractive, than the typical squished narrow feet in the shoe- wearing world.
Why do they have to make shoes so narrow even designer ones. I can never fit into them because of my wide feet. Not everyone in the world has narrow feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness