Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 07:50 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,245,642 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what kind of further testing should be done (and in what time frame) after finding atypical glandular cells (also atypical squamous cells of unknown significance) I think the glandular cells were endocervical in origin.
The gyn just sent me a letter telling me to come back in 6 months for another pap but I'm a little worried they are waiting that long because there is only one gyn for the whole town and she is very busy (at least thats what my doctor told me). When I googled it in English everything seemed to suggest that at least a colposcopy should be done but when I googled it in Finnish it said standard procedure is to order another pap in 3-6 months time but cervical cancer rates have been rising here so I'm a scared that its not the best way to proceed.
Anyone had any experience in this? Would it be worthwhile just going to a private gyn for further testing sooner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 08:02 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Yes, I would seek out a private doctor for the colposcopy. I had some indication (cannot remember what type of cells) so I had the colposcopy done within a month. Turned out normal, thank goodness. But the peace of mind was worth it.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:51 AM

Glad it turned out normal for you. Piece of mind would be nice, would hate to worry for 6 months, maybe it is worth it.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:04 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Does anyone know what kind of further testing should be done (and in what time frame) after finding atypical glandular cells (also atypical squamous cells of unknown significance) I think the glandular cells were endocervical in origin.
The gyn just sent me a letter telling me to come back in 6 months for another pap but I'm a little worried they are waiting that long because there is only one gyn for the whole town and she is very busy (at least thats what my doctor told me). When I googled it in English everything seemed to suggest that at least a colposcopy should be done but when I googled it in Finnish it said standard procedure is to order another pap in 3-6 months time but cervical cancer rates have been rising here so I'm a scared that its not the best way to proceed.
Anyone had any experience in this? Would it be worthwhile just going to a private gyn for further testing sooner?
We need more information, particularly your age and whether you have been tested for HPV.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
We need more information, particularly your age and whether you have been tested for HPV.
I'm 26. I don't think they tested for HPV. The Pap was done when I was on the end of my period (practically no blood but still some) and I have heard that can cause abnormal results. The gyn did do a full pelvic exam and transvaginal ultrasound at the same time and everything looked normal (I was there because I was having pains, had a yeast infection as well - I think thats everything thats relevant)

Old 06-24-2013, 07:47 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,974 times
I'd probably try to go back when you're not on the end of your period and when your yeast infection is cleared up. Hopefully that's all that was causing the atypical cells. That way you can either have peace of mind or else know that you might need to proceed with treatment (though I know that for some kinds of atypical cells they do just have you wait because many times it goes away on its own... not sure what kind that is for, though).

Old 06-24-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I'm 26. I don't think they tested for HPV. The Pap was done when I was on the end of my period (practically no blood but still some) and I have heard that can cause abnormal results. The gyn did do a full pelvic exam and transvaginal ultrasound at the same time and everything looked normal (I was there because I was having pains, had a yeast infection as well - I think thats everything thats relevant)
In the US, the HPV test can be done on the original Pap smear specimen. It is called "reflexive" testing because the HPV test is not done if the Pap is normal. Determining if you have one of the high risk types of HPV should be the next step. Also, in the US, colposcopy, in which the cervix is examined with a low power microscope and possibly tissue biopsies obtained, is recommended for anyone with atypical glandular cells on the smear.

See here for the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists guidelines:

http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Pa...624T2224493013

I think that if you have both atypical glandular and atypical squamous cells, the colposcopy might be even more justified.

In general, it's best to be treated for any infections first, then go back for the Pap. Ideally, it is also best not to be bleeding at all, but the amount you describe should not be a problem.

If you do not have high risk HPV, the abnormal cells may just be due to the infection. If you have high risk HPV or an abnormal colposcopy, the gynecologist can then decide what needs to be done next.

If you test negative for high risk HPV, consider taking the HPV vaccine, if your health system will allow you to get it.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:00 AM

If the HPV test can be done on the original pap smear then maybe they're doing the test now and will send me those results later.
Thanks for the link, it says a colposcopy should be done with the atypical glandular cells and I really don't want to take any chances as I've been hoping to try for another baby in the next year or so, so I think I'll have to go private (probably the public doctor would do it if I kicked up a fuss but this way I can pick my own appointment time to make sure I'm not on my period).

They don't offer the HPV vaccine here but I can get that private as well although that seems a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
If the HPV test can be done on the original pap smear then maybe they're doing the test now and will send me those results later.
Thanks for the link, it says a colposcopy should be done with the atypical glandular cells and I really don't want to take any chances as I've been hoping to try for another baby in the next year or so, so I think I'll have to go private (probably the public doctor would do it if I kicked up a fuss but this way I can pick my own appointment time to make sure I'm not on my period).

They don't offer the HPV vaccine here but I can get that private as well although that seems a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.
I would ask about the HPV test. Do not just assume it is being done.

That's why I said ask about the vaccine if you test negative for high risk HPV types. If you do not already have one of the types in the vaccine, it could be a consideration.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I would ask about the HPV test. Do not just assume it is being done.

That's why I said ask about the vaccine if you test negative for high risk HPV types. If you do not already have one of the types in the vaccine, it could be a consideration.
I thought I was too old for the vaccine now but I'll ask about it and the test. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness