Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 10:16 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times

Advertisements

I know there is an old thread about this but I want to know about the new stuff the docs are doing for people who have lumbar spinal stenosis with butt and leg pain, trouble standing and walking, and just want to relieve the pain by sitting down. This is me now. Nothing has helped so far. I am ready to see a neurosurgeon, cause I understand there are new techniques that don't even use general anesthesia and get you up and going really soon after. I think its called decompression and/or fusion, which I need, cause I have scoliosis.

If you have done this, please let me know what it was like and if it worked for you ! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 03:50 AM

523 posts, read 3,804,496 times
my father had minimally invasive surgery for spinal stenosis - it gave him perhaps 5 years of significant relief before his symptoms returned, and in fact became worse than they were prior to the original procedure. despite this, he said he was pleased he underwent the surgery.

not everyone is suitable for this type of surgery - it depends on the nature and extend of your particular condition.

make sure you do you own due diligence - understand the benefits, risks, and what the long term implications might be, and whether having something done as a minimally invasive procedure now will effect treatment options later on.

and, most importantly, be sure you know what your surgeon's level of experience is, and what his complication rates are....this type of surgery is still relatively new, and you would probably be better off avoiding someone who is still getting to grips with it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness