Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 03:42 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times

Advertisements

Hi, I suffered a injury to my arm (elbow to upper arm) last Friday - no breaks/dislocations according to x-rays taken in ER. Now, starting EARLY Wed. a.m. (it woke me) - my outer elbow area feels like it burns, even the fan blowing a light breeze across it yesterday burned. I thought maybe I'd slept on that side and that caused it - I iced it but it's still got that burning feeling today. Thoughts? Is it something I should have someone else look at? Maybe that's a common thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 04:45 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Burning pain is often nerve-related....look up "neuropathy." Especially if there's an "electric shock" element to the burning, or there's any tingling or numbness.

But don't get scared by reading worst-case scenarios! Simple stretches for a day or two can be an easy fix, if it's due to a simple injury or over-use or something that's irritated a nerve. Anti-inflammatories might help. Or it may just go away on its own in short order after the irritated nerve calms down.

Obviously I am not a medical professional, just speaking from personal experience. If you have a doctor you probably ought to give them a call.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:33 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Could be just a bad bruise. If concerned have the doc check it out.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:38 PM

Thanks to both of you - I have an appt. w/an orthopedist Monday, it's actually not burning so bad but I still have some finger numbness/tingling but I thought I'd better see someone other than the ER since it's been so long and I want to cross my t's and dot my i's. I read that you should use a sling for more than a few days but I've honestly had to at least occasionally since then - as well as icing it - so I want to have it checked out by someone who knows bones/joints/whatever.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-13-2013 at 06:53 PM..

Old 07-14-2013, 11:40 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,561 times
After dealing with CRPS/RSD the past 18 months I can tell you emphatically... STOP with the ICE!

RSDSA :: Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome Association

RSD/CRPS

Two... what a poster above said about it being nerve pain is correct!

Three... go see a neurologist!

Be sure to stretch, repeatedly, everything related to the injury.

I hope your symtoms cease soon and you recover completely!

Do not be alramed by what may seem like an alarmist post!

Old 07-14-2013, 03:11 PM

thanks, to be on the safe side I'll stop icing it as well - I was up most of the night w/pain and/or burning in elbow area up to shoulder

I'll keep this appt. w/the ortho. though and see what he says. I'm someone who doesn't go to a Dr. unless absolutely necessary, unfortunately, in this case I have to get this taken care of sooner rather than later.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:52 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
thanks, to be on the safe side I'll stop icing it as well - I was up most of the night w/pain and/or burning in elbow area up to shoulder

I'll keep this appt. w/the ortho. though and see what he says. I'm someone who doesn't go to a Dr. unless absolutely necessary, unfortunately, in this case I have to get this taken care of sooner rather than later.
Really, better safe than sorry!
Over 30 years of repetitive physical work so I am not unfamiliar with nerve pain/muscle/joint pain (sometimes debilitating) but from my experience most is not a big deal and simple exercises can and do make a HUGE difference within days, as does anything that will stop irritating the nerve and let it heal.

But you are definitely smart to see an ortho/neuro doc.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:37 PM

Turns out to be tennis elbow caused by the door - have this strap/brace on it and it feels so much better - also have a prescription for P.T. if I think I need it - and I can ice if I think it's necessary. Thanks for the help everyone.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:39 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
^^^Thanks for responding back with your doctors diagnosis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness