Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 12:38 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times

Advertisements

One forgets a powerful, moneyed group which has every motivation in the world to want to restrict pain meds: drug cartels. Increasing restrictions on pain meds aren't keeping the abusers from doing drugs - they're causing the abusers to do heroin instead. They only hurt those who have legit needs. Banning pain meds is quite possible because it would mean more money for cartels. For similar reasons, one can picture prison guards' unions supporting banning pain meds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 05:51 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
I guess none of you have ever heard the expression, "One bad apple spoils the whole bunch." That's what's happening, but it isn't even so much a matter of the abusers being the bad apples, as it is the mill doctors prescribing drugs to people who don't need it for medical reasons.

This doesn't really have much to do with Big Pharma making more money (because honestly, if it was about that, they'd be lobbying for LESS FDA control, so their drugs could be spread more freely, not restricted tighter so fewer people steal them). It has to do with physician accountability. Doctors need to be made more accountable for the prescriptions they're feeding to their patients.

I just read the *actual* FDA press announcement here:
FDA announces safety labeling changes and postmarket study requirements for extended-release and long-acting opioid analgesics

Summary for those who don't want to read it: people with diagnosed long-term pain management needs are basically unaffected by this. It's primarily a labelling change, to hold physicians more accountable for off-label prescribing. It's saying "This is a serious drug, intended for serious long-term painkilling use. If you're prescribing it for anything less significant than that, we'll be keeping tabs on your frequency of prescribing it."

Dentists who prescribe just 22 of them following surgery will be watched carefully to make sure they're not giving out easy refills. I'm assuming all surgeons will be monitored more closely with regards to their prescribing habits. That's a GOOD thing, not a bad thing. It means that surgeons who are quick to shove narcotic opiates on their patients, without even bothering to find out if the patient truly needs them, will have to consider their actions more seriously. And the mill doctors who get wealthy by feeding addicts with scripts, will be easier to catch, because they will be more closely watched, and there are now actual rules and guidelines and policies that the FDA can enforce to ensure that these mill doctors have fewer excuses to do what they do.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:36 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
One forgets a powerful, moneyed group which has every motivation in the world to want to restrict pain meds: drug cartels. Increasing restrictions on pain meds aren't keeping the abusers from doing drugs - they're causing the abusers to do heroin instead. They only hurt those who have legit needs. Banning pain meds is quite possible because it would mean more money for cartels. For similar reasons, one can picture prison guards' unions supporting banning pain meds.
Heroine use is going up everywhere and pain meds abuse is going down. I guess drug addicts always find a way to get their drugs legally or illegally.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:43 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
What do you think of this new super pain killer being
released next month?
If you were to take 2 pills, let alone 3...I believe the warning is possible death.
It is ...I think...pure hydrocodone....please correct me...so sorry I don't have the name.
Maybe it starts with a Z.

I know I'm a big help!

Edit: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/health-...ry?id=22730068

A link from ABCnews

Old 03-04-2014, 11:53 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
It says Zohydro right at the top, before the text content of the article, under the big photo of the drug. It's an opiate narcotic. What do I think about it, in context of this thread? I think the same about it as I think about all the other opiate narcotics being discussed in this thread. That the new labelling and subsequent more careful monitoring of prescriptions being dished out by doctors is a good thing.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:44 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
"What do I think about it, in context of this thread?"

The press this compound is getting makes it sound like abusers could have a greater and quicker opportunity to practice gene pool cleansing than currently.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:56 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Have a friend who has a chronic bad back and has prescriptions for oxycodone, fentanyl and vicodin, but he also uses the Indica strain of medical cannabis, which soothes his body without fuzzing his mind, and allows him to take significantly fewer pills. The Indica strains relax muscle and work as general analgesics, also helping with sleep.

Cannabis seems to be getting more and more available, not less so.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:49 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
I work in a LTC/Rehab facility, and pain meds make our jobs much less hectic! Lots of call lights through the night to answer: "The nurse said every 4 hours, it's now 12:50am, I was given the last one at 8:55pm, and it'll probably take her 10 minutes to get here, then 5 minutes past my due time!"

Yes, there are those who set alarm clocks even!

I've over it now! Pointless to question these people! Just give it to them and be happy!

I'm more concerned with the stubborn, stoic types who could actually benefit from some pain meds, but this small crowd refuses to take them!

Pain meds outlawed? Only when cars are outlawed!

Old 03-07-2014, 12:17 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Pain meds outlawed? Only when cars are outlawed!
It's much like the ATF permitting the sale of guns and banning all bullet sales.

Sure, pain meds will not be outlawed but they'll be so impossible to get that you'll figure they might just as well BE outlawed.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:59 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Sure, pain meds will not be outlawed but they'll be so impossible to get that you'll figure they might just as well BE outlawed.
The above is a baseless conclusion. Cracking down on the drug mill doctors (an extremely small if very troubling percentage of total doctors) will not affect the prescribing of pain medications for legitimate uses.

Are you not aware that it has been documented that one doctor sat in a café with his Rx pad and just wrote out prescriptions for dangerous and powerful narcotics? It has been documented that a number of other doctors wrote such prescriptions based only on the "patients" statements that they wanted them? Sorry to be a broken record here, but people are dying from overdoses of prescription pain medications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness