Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 09:58 PM

7 posts, read 27,871 times

Advertisements

It has now been 2 months since my lithotripsy and I have now seen my Urologist (after having an ultrasound a week before). The scan showed NO stone fragments however there is a slight amount of bruising around the affected kidney which he feels should dissapate soon (probably from the lithotripsy treatment). I have another appointment with him in 6 months (Oct) at which time (after another ultrasound), he will look to see if any NEW stone has started forming and if the bruising has gone. I am still drinking approx. 2.25 to 2.5 Litres of water a day in an effort to dilute the urine concentration and hopefully prevent any new stones precipitating out. The extra fluid intake also causes a much stronger urine flow which may also move any small, forming stones to be flushed out. I plan to maintain this protocol forever if no stones form within a 2 year time frame. Will keep you posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 06:31 AM

484 posts, read 761,069 times
I am having a very hard time with the amount of water/lemon intake a day. Some days I just cannot do it. Also my PCP suggested I need to see a nephrologist, to find out *why* I am making such large stones in such little time, as annual lithotripsies is not a solution. I was dubious about this, and after calling several (most deal with CKD, diabetes) I finally found one who when I explained what I need to see them for - they directed me back to my urologist. Has anyone been suggested a nutritionist, or something similar? I get that the water/lemon is a preventative measure, but there has to be someone else who I can see regarding the "why" and work towards correcting. Thoughts?

Old 05-12-2014, 06:36 AM

3 posts, read 7,460 times
Default Had my ESWL done 5/9/14

This is my 4th bout with kidney stones. This is the first time I've needed lithotripsy though, I had a 10mm stone, about 1cm. I was scheduled for eswl to break it up since the ureter is typically only about 4mm wide. My past stones were small enough to pass myself, though the pain was still horrid! I also needed a stent put in to help with the evacuation process.
I have a heart arrhythmia and show inverted T wave on my EKGs. I have bouts of SVT as well so I was concerned about my well being, especially the general anesthesia effect on me. I had to get clearance from my cardiologist first, he thought I'd be fine.

I was a nervous wreck for the procedure, really it was the anesthesia that scared the heck out of me! To put my life in the hands of another is nerve wracking, I don't care what the safety stats are, this is me.

Here is how it went for me:
On Friday, May 9, 2014, I went in for outpatient day surgery. I'm grateful it was a small community hospital, the staff seem so much more friendly and personable. I was all prepped and sitting in a recliner with my IV, waiting for my turn.
I was able to vent to my RN about my fears, she said she was a cry baby when it came to getting her surgery done. I talked to my anesthesiologist about my morbid fears and he sat with me and we discussed facts, my fears and the 'why's' of them. He was so incredibly kind to me. That helped a lot, but I was still scared.
I got to talk to my surgeon, another wonderful human being, exuding kindness and empathy. My whole team were like angels!
I was given the first level of anesthesia through my IV before they brought me into the OR, it made me woozy and I hated it! I started to panic, but she calmed me down, I felt very drunk by the time I got the the OR.
I scooched over onto the lithotripsy machine and got positioned. I was then given the next round of the anesthesia, the one that knocks you out. I didn't like the fact that I was aware of the "going out." I've heard so many times it's like a light switch, boom! you're out; NOT with me, I felt the "fuzzies"--I lost my vision first then my hearing and went out. Hated that part too. But I woke up pretty coherently. I was already being wheeled to recovery. I stayed for about an hour, they got me into a recliner and up walking to the bathroom pretty quickly. They gave me food and drinks, kept checking my vital signs. Then I got dressed and had a wheelchair out of the hospital. I think I was in the recovery room for about an hour.

Peeing afterwards felt like fire! I was given meds to help with the burning and help with the bladder spasms due to the stent, also I got percocet, but I ended up not needing them, I can feel the stent a little bit-- like I can tell something is there, but I'm not in pain, I've been peeing out sand, looks just like tan beach sand, I strain what little I can catch to put in a lab cup so they can see what it's made up of. I'm not sure what we'll do about the other 2 stones still in me. He had to use the FDA max of 2,500 shocks on that one stone, so the other 2 are in there still.

I would rather have ESWL then an incision surgery, I don't have any bruising at all, I don't feel like someone "beat me up" I guess everyone is different, I am tired and need to rest alot, but I also have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and I believe all of this and the emotional stress exacerbated it. I do small things around the house and shower, but I can't do too much. It's been 3 days, I may need more time to recover than the average person. I'd do it again if I had to, better than surgery, but I dread anesthesia

Old 05-28-2014, 11:50 PM

Hi Tamatem and Karebear70...Robert00 here. I know what you are both going through and sympathize. Mu Urologist thought that I might have a "pool of urine being trapped in a pocket of my kidney" with this pool not being flushed out on a regular basis as is the case with the rest of my kidney tubules and thus becoming more and more concentrated. This does sound plausible and it is why I am drinking much more water, in an effort to keep the urine in a diluted state even in such a "trapped pool". In addition, I am endeavoring to walk on a reasonably regular basis to "jog" the kidney around and loosen any small, growing stone crystals, thus allowing them to be passed unbeknown to me. On reflection, I remember that prior to the year 2001 (when I retired), I had no stones at all. It wasn't until after this date that they started to appear. My job back then was in the retail area and I would hardly ever sit down from say 8.30am till 6.00pm at night. This constant movement all day, may have been the reason I didn't "notice" any stones passing as they may have been constantly dislodged from their growth position and passed as very small objects. WHO knows? Anyway, that's my treatment program from now on....much more water intake combined with more walking. I will keep you updated.

Last edited by Robert00; 05-28-2014 at 11:59 PM..

Old 11-14-2014, 02:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,636 times
wonder if any of you could help. My grandmother has had lithotripsy about 3 years ago now and everything in her kidneys are fine but she has experience severe back pain since then. she did not have this back pain prior to having the lithotripsy done, so if you or anyone you know has had this could you please let me know

Old 11-14-2014, 11:37 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,815 times
When urinating, let the bladder do the work. I have had 2 ESWL's. My stones were huge...first stones were 10mm by 10mm, 2, one in the renal pelvis and the other down in the kidney. Had the surgery and the worst thing about it was the stent. BTW, there are tons of forums out there where people discuss their stones and experiences of kidney stone surgery. My stones literally tore my flanks up with pain similar to having an ice pick rip down your sides. I was in bed for many hours throwing up and unable to move.

You don't mention a stent which is unusual since that's the number 1 complaint after this surgery. What did your urologist say when you showed him the open wound? I bleed for around 88 days; didn't seem unusual to me. I am prone to kidney stones as well and have cut out all stuff that the stones feed on. What kind of stones do you have. If you don't know find out; this is very important.

Stones form a good part from not having enough fluid intake. I now drink at least 2 liters of alkaline water a day, cut the animal stuff, no dark soda, etc... Good luck to you

Old 11-18-2014, 01:51 AM

OMG...I didn't bleed for 88 day, it was 8 days

Old 11-18-2014, 10:48 AM

484 posts, read 761,069 times
thank goodness! lol!

Old 11-18-2014, 09:32 PM

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...80120444,d.cGU

Looks like men should drink more fluid per day than women. The Mayo Clinic suggests that men drink 3 liters of fluid per day and women 2.2 liters per day. I drink 3 liters since I am a chronic stone person. I use to guzzle water in the am to get my limit in but have since read that the water should be drank evenly throughout the day for absorption rates since once your drenched your body will just pee it out...OK Robert .

People can include the amount of fluid from their food as well to the overall input of fluid.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:14 PM

Hello again to all kidney stone sufferers. It has now been 6 months since my lithotripsy was carried out and I am still maintaining my water intake of approx 2 to 2.25L a day. I had my 6 month follow up visit to my urologist last week (had an ultrasound done the week before with pictures going to the doctor) and all is still clear in my kidneys...no stones at all. I am convinced that keeping the urine diluted is the secret to stopping the stones forming in the first place so if I notice my urine looking even a little "straw" coloured, I increase my water intake. I aim to have a urine colour virtually "as clear as water".
Previously, I would develop a stone or stones every 2 years (for the past 15 years) so I will maintain this program of water intake continually and see how I am after 2 years. I will post occasional articles as I go.
Tyvin...You really gave me a fright with the 88 days bleeding...thank goodness it was only 8 days. I also bled for about 6 days after my lithotripsy.
To "Danthefireman"..I have not experienced any back pain at all since my lithotripsy. I would suggest your grandmother have an ultrasound or CT scan to see what could be causing the back pain. It may be just bruising which has persisted, however it must be checked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness