Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 09:49 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times

Advertisements

I think it's more of a regional thing also. When I lived in NC I was called honey, sugar or the shortened shuug. Didn't happen in NY or here in Florida. I don't care for it either but if it bothered me that much I would just ask to be addressed by my name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 11:54 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,261,525 times
A lot of my coworkers will call women patients mom. Filipinos will use Tiyo,Tiya,Tatay,Nanay, etc. If it bothers you don't be afraid to say so.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:10 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I went to a new doctor today and three people there, including the doctor addressed me in the very patronizing and condescending way of either Dearie, Sweetheart (doctor used that word) or Honey. It's not like I'm a fragile little granny. I'm 5'10" and weigh more than I should.
It was a podiatrist office and they probably see mostly "senior citizens" and I heard them address others that way- both male and female.
My husband just told me he gets called those names himself which surprised me as I thought it was mostly to women. He says he thinks people who call seniors that think they are being friendly and personal but every person I've ever talked to about this say they detest it as well.

I remember my own mother being called those names in retail establishes and she wasn't even a senior citizen. maybe I get my disdain from her. In any event it is so disrespectful and I think the doctor heard me say "Oh God don't call me that!" as he was leaving the exam room. I don't know but he sure didn't address me like that during the rest of the visit.
I totally agree, and there have been several threads, including my own, where I said the same thing. Get ready for the onslaught by people who think you're just mean and unfriendly. I am a very friendly person, but I would only consider maybe appropriate for someone addressing me this way who was a lot older than me, and I'm 68.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:50 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
First World Problem of the Week: "being addressed with an affectionate term."

Let's file that between "being smiled at by perfect strangers" and "having other drivers let us make a left turn."

Old 12-04-2016, 09:24 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,164 times
I understand some may not like the "dear", "sweetie" or some such but it is a small thing best just politely accepted. Those who use such terms mean well. I'm a guy and have been called "hon" or similar kinds of things and it never concerned me in the least. It was just their way of being polite. No different than I will address any women that I haven't been introduced to as "mam" no matter their age, race, ethnicity, or religion. Its just how I was taught to be polite.

In medical settings actions are far more important when it comes to treating patients in a respectful manner. Close the door or curtains. Everyone that comes into the room introduces themselves as to who and what they are (and not with purposely ambiguous terms such as "student" which could mean a kid in high school or a 3rd year medical student), say what you are going to do and ask if that is OK before touching me or exposing me etc. Call me hon all you want but then treat me the same as you'd want your husband, boyfriend, Dad, brother, or son treated.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:48 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
Never heard people in a medical office use the terms cited by OP. I've generally found nurses to be pleasant but professional and receptionists to have attitudes and be inpatient when you dare question them about something.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Never heard people in a medical office use the terms cited by OP. I've generally found nurses to be pleasant but professional and receptionists to have attitudes and be inpatient when you dare question them about something.
I would agree; I am trying to think of a time when the doctor,, nurse or anyone else in the field called me honey or sweeie. Maybe once or twice and it really doesn't bother me. I think most of the time I am called by my first name.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:52 AM

1 posts, read 886 times
I was in hospital and I called the female doctor sweetheart and I got kicked out of hospital there and then is that wrong or not you tell me .

Old 07-30-2017, 08:32 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaC View Post
Here in Florida, when it USED to be southern, everyone called everyone Honey, Babe, Sugar, Darlin, Dearey, etc. It's our way of using terms of endearment for names we can't remember.

I like it. Shows that somewhere, someone is still human and void of that vomitous pc garbage.
I thought that in the South everyone was taught to say ma'am or sir?

Old 07-30-2017, 08:53 AM

85 posts, read 67,247 times
In the Southeastern part of the U.S. it's kind of common. However, I would never call someone older than myself honey or sweetheart. They are maam and Sir or Mister. I reserve honey for friends/family members. I have called young adults honey, and it's not meant in a condescending way. Sometimes the staff at the pharmacy will call me honey, but it's usually an older lady, and I just shrug it off. I don't run into this at the doctor's office, I addressed as Miss, Maam or my first name. It is professional IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness