Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 12:26 AM

15,930 posts, read 20,899,784 times

Advertisements

I'd guess there are a fair number of patients that aren't sick or feeling bad though.
They could be there for a routine check up, testing, a follow up visit or consultation, any number of things, and they might feel just fine.
Heck if I'm going because I don't feel well and the staff asks me that, I simply tell them "I'm feeling a little under the weather, thought I'd stop in and visit with you folks for while."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 12:30 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,172,704 times
That is an interesting take on it DubbleT but I don't think I have ever been to the doctor without being sick more than once or twice. I'm fairly healthy I guess.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:32 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,952,945 times
eh, I don't address anyone using "sweetie, honey or dear" when you manage a huge truck stop for a while you learn that some of those boys take those words seriously and it does not end well most of the time when you tell them you were just trying to be nice but you are not going to be "that nice".

Old 07-23-2013, 01:18 AM

36,858 posts, read 17,216,861 times
Women, seniors, and little kids can call me whatever they want.

I expect men to address me by name.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:47 AM

454 posts, read 789,620 times
for me, i agree with the OP..

at first i thought it was nice, polite, endearing... but then i noticed doctor/dentist staff seem to call ONLY those individuals that appear to be over 50 (whether they are or not, as age is deceiving). i just find it patronizing and condescending and kind of unprofessional. you really dont get called sweetie/dearie when you go to business offices, department stores, banks.. just those doctor & dentist offices. you have my chart there with you with my name on it, so just call me Sandy

Old 07-23-2013, 07:07 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,766,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyLuvsToTravel View Post
for me, i agree with the OP..

at first i thought it was nice, polite, endearing... but then i noticed doctor/dentist staff seem to call ONLY those individuals that appear to be over 50 (whether they are or not, as age is deceiving). i just find it patronizing and condescending and kind of unprofessional. you really dont get called sweetie/dearie when you go to business offices, department stores, banks.. just those doctor & dentist offices. you have my chart there with you with my name on it, so just call me Sandy
Thank you.
Actually I know they don't do it to be rude or mean. They do it to SEEM like we are attached to each other, to be friendly but they don't know me, don't give a s&*t about me (at least the staff doesn't) and it is so fake to me. Way too personal. Seems like younger people look down on seniors in some sort of way like "Poor dear--has one foot in the grave and I must pat her on the head". Like I said-patronizing.
I'm glad it doesn't both others. I usually don't react to little things as I've had to deal with REAL problems but this is one pet peeve which sets me off. Give me respect and address me by Ms. no Kudzu or even my first name or nothing at all.

And yes the forms are weird. You spend 15 minutes listing all your meds, complaints, why you are there and in walks the nurse who says "What brings you here today?" you tell her and wait 15 minutes and in walks the doctor "What seems to be the problem?" Why did I have to fill that out on the form? Did you even read the form? Guess they need it for the records but filing out the same info on 3 or 4 pages is annoying.
OK rant over.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:57 AM

452 posts, read 705,973 times
Here in Florida, when it USED to be southern, everyone called everyone Honey, Babe, Sugar, Darlin, Dearey, etc. It's our way of using terms of endearment for names we can't remember.

I like it. Shows that somewhere, someone is still human and void of that vomitous pc garbage.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:08 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,706,208 times
Depends where I am and how long the 'relationship' is expected to last.

If it's 20 minutes in a restaurant, 'hon' or 'sweetie' doesn't bother me.

If it's a long-term business relationship, which is what a doctor should be, I expect them to use my name. It's right there on the chart. If they shorten it to the nickname which I *never* use, I say 'I prefer to be called (longname) or Mrs. ****.'

They went to some kind of school. Presumably they can figure it out.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:18 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,884,547 times
When I was in school, the career services lady used to call everyone honey, baby, etc. I loved it. Made me feel a little less homesick. Now that I work in a corporation, there are a few ladies who do the same to everyone, and we all think it's sweet. We're not elderly by any means but even if I was, I wouldn't think this was condescending unless said in a condescending, "you're a dumb old person" way.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:24 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,421,731 times
Here in Ontario, medical staff are taught to ONLY use the person's name, as in how are you today Mister Smith, or if they know you well...... Nice to see you again, Brenda.

And as a matter of routine, before any treatment is begun, they identify the patient, by asking for their full name and date of birth. It is to prevent any mistakes in medication or treatment.

I think that our system is a good idea. To me it is not professional to call any one by a nick name. We all have a proper name, and it should be used. If you don't know the person's name, you can all ways use Sir or Mam. That could be the result of 30 years in the Canadian Forces military, where rank is all ways observed, and names are used properly.

Want to get an immediate attitude adjustment ? Just call a Chief Warrant Officer, who happens to be a woman..... honey, or sweet pea. !!!

Jim B

Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness