Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 02:42 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,671,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
My doctor called me by my first name, so I called him by his first name! What, exactly, is wrong with that, Anon?
And when the receptionists call me 'hon' I return the compliment.
No offence intended, so none taken.
There's nothing wrong with that, coming from you, because you don't mean any offense, and don't take offense.

I was responding to David, who DOES take offense at being called something other than "Sir" or his first name, and claims that he would give offense, if it was given to him. THAT - is juvenile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 09:08 PM

15,986 posts, read 20,969,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
WTH is wrong with Ma'am, or Sir? Unless, of course, one can't tell if its a him or her....then, well, just ignore them, I guess...
Because what you see as a term of respect (ma'am) many see as offensive. Just as what you see as offensive some simply see as an attempt at being friendly or informal. What makes your POV the correct one?

Old 07-27-2013, 09:35 PM

168 posts, read 313,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There's nothing wrong with that, coming from you, because you don't mean any offense, and don't take offense.

I was responding to David, who DOES take offense at being called something other than "Sir" or his first name, and claims that he would give offense, if it was given to him. THAT - is juvenile.
And what's wrong with it? Doctors have to stop thinking they are the last ones on the face of the Earth. If I'm not treated the way I want, I go somewhere else. I do that with restaurants, shops, airlines, why should doctors be any different?

Old 07-29-2013, 04:37 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,561,719 times
Doctors are the high priests of life and death. Of course they believe they are special. They are actually.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Doctors are the high priests of life and death. Of course they believe they are special. They are actually.
Arrogance doesn't get them very far with me. They are some of the worst people I've met. Special in the worst way possible.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJK View Post
Arrogance doesn't get them very far with me. They are some of the worst people I've met. Special in the worst way possible.
I'm sure even the best ones feel that way about some of their patients. Just like I feel that about some of my customers.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I'm sure even the best ones feel that way about some of their patients. Just like I feel that about some of my customers.
It's just a pity most of them aren't very professional when you question their actions. The good thing is that there many others around. But in general they are probably the worst class when it comes to work values, good manners and being professional.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJK View Post
It's just a pity most of them aren't very professional when you question their actions. The good thing is that there many others around. But in general they are probably the worst class when it comes to work values, good manners and being professional.
I just haven't had that experience. All the doctors I've gone to have behaved professionally, respectfully, and have made an attempt to be considerate, kind, and empathetic. Not all have succeeded, but I've never had a doctor who didn't try.

My sister had a doctor who was out and out rude, but he was that way with all women - he felt women were a step lower on the food chain. Suffice it to say, he is no longer my sister's doctor, and he has lost several employees as a result of his attitude.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:16 PM

15,121 posts, read 27,615,946 times
Quote:
I just haven't had that experience. All the doctors I've gone to have behaved professionally, respectfully, and have made an attempt to be considerate, kind, and empathetic. Not all have succeeded, but I've never had a doctor who didn't try.

My sister had a doctor who was out and out rude, but he was that way with all women - he felt women were a step lower on the food chain. Suffice it to say, he is no longer my sister's doctor, and he has lost several employees as a result of his attitude.
Reminds me of when I had an EMG (I think that's what it was called? the probes in your back w/electrical impulses) - HORRIBLE!!! I could hardly sit up after, let alone walk. The Dr. talked to my husband (like I wasn't there, was a child, something?) - my husband said "SHE is the patient, talk to her"

Old 07-29-2013, 07:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,739,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I went to a new doctor today and three people there, including the doctor addressed me in the very patronizing and condescending way of either Dearie, Sweetheart (doctor used that word) or Honey. It's not like I'm a fragile little granny. I'm 5'10" and weigh more than I should.
It was a podiatrist office and they probably see mostly "senior citizens" and I heard them address others that way- both male and female.
My husband just told me he gets called those names himself which surprised me as I thought it was mostly to women. He says he thinks people who call seniors that think they are being friendly and personal but every person I've ever talked to about this say they detest it as well.

I remember my own mother being called those names in retail establishes and she wasn't even a senior citizen. maybe I get my disdain from her. In any event it is so disrespectful and I think the doctor heard me say "Oh God don't call me that!" as he was leaving the exam room. I don't know but he sure didn't address me like that during the rest of the visit.
It only happened to me once in my life, and it was a transplant coworker the same age as me when I was in college.

You live in the South. Unfortunately, this is a very common way people refer to women down there.

Last edited by Hopes; 07-29-2013 at 07:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness