Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2020, 01:58 PM

814 posts, read 580,354 times

Advertisements

My husband has had fairly bad toenail fungus for the last six or seven years. He visits a podiatrist three times a year for a pedicure and the doctor doesn't recommend anything. He says it is very difficult to treat and there were no guarantees anything would work. Thanks, doc.

There are many articles on the internet regarding this problem but no single thing seems to be the Magic Bullet. My husband's feet don't bother him as much as they bother me. He has other health issues and I worry about his feet getting infected.

My questions is, are topical, anti-fungal ointments and creams a waste of money and time? Is the only solution really to have all your toenails removed and waiting 18 months for them to grow back? He's almost 80 years old....

Thoughts? Suggestions? Should we just leave it alone? "We" being me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2020, 05:33 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
My questions is, are topical, anti-fungal ointments and creams a waste of money and time? Is the only solution really to have all your toenails removed and waiting 18 months for them to grow back? He's almost 80 years old....
Went through similar with my dad. From what I've read and what his podiatrist said, yes, some types of toenail fungus (there's more than one type. Also other conditions that appear to be fungus but aren't) are difficult to eradicate, partly because you can re-infect yourself over and over. Also that topicals are a waste of money because they can't penetrate to all parts of the nail where the fungus resides. Getting rid of all the infected tissue and starting over with healthy tissue was necessary for him.

Old 12-12-2020, 05:40 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
At age 75 I had a case of the fungus. My Primary Care doctor prescribed a cream called Clotrimazole & Betamethsaone Dipropionate Cream 1%. It knocked out the fungus in about 2 weeks.

It was cheap and covered by my Medicare plan.

https://www.goodrx.com/clotrimazole-betamethasone

See your family doc.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:29 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
At age 75 I had a case of the fungus. My Primary Care doctor prescribed a cream called Clotrimazole & Betamethsaone Dipropionate Cream 1%. It knocked out the fungus in about 2 weeks.

It was cheap and covered by my Medicare plan.

https://www.goodrx.com/clotrimazole-betamethasone

See your family doc.
There isn't just one fungus. There's no such thing as "a case of the fungus." That cream, according to your link, is for athlete's foot, ringworm, and jock itch.

I had a (not the, but a) fungal infection on my fingernails and used some kind of medication that began with the letter K, but it was a prescription med, not the stuff over the counter. It took 6 months to completely grow out; the medication stops the fungus from growing while your nails continue to grow as usual. So eventually if you trim your nails whenever you see them growing even a little - cut them right back as short as you can without drawing blood - the nail will have been completely replaced by clean, uninfected nail.

My fungal infection had a very common cause: moisture under acrylics. The nail technician didn't properly apply the acrylics, and it basically got moldy between the synthetic and my own nails, and that spread to the cuticle and under the nail bed.

Toenails can become infected with fungus even easier, if you wear shoes that don't breathe well without socks. For that reason my shoes are all leather, or all cloth. No more vinyl or synthetic uppers, and either suede/leather soles, or I wear socks (or both).

Old 12-16-2020, 01:40 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
There isn't just one fungus. There's no such thing as "a case of the fungus." That cream, according to your link, is for athlete's foot, ringworm, and jock itch.
THIS is what so many people don't realize. Yes, that is an antifungal, but there are fungi it isn't particularly effective in treating. If it worked, great.

Old 12-16-2020, 01:54 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Some home remedies to try (can't hurt - use Vicks Vaporub (or store brand) on the nails and cover with socks, sock feet/toes for a while in white vinegar.

Old 12-16-2020, 05:32 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
My mom had a fingernail fungus and she read online to apply Vicks vapor rub 2 times a day. The fungus is gone. Try it.

Old 12-16-2020, 06:53 PM

532 posts, read 445,604 times
Here is my thickened yellow toenail story:
About 30 years ago I was working in the ER and the topic popped up in a discussion between me (I was an EMT) and one of the ER Docs. Somehow I got into a conversation with the ER Doc I was working with about a patient and then we commiserated on how we both had some toenail issues. So we talked about treatments and she brought up an oral antifungal pill to take over a couple days and then wait for new nail growth. I had previously asked my Family Practice Dr about it before but couldn't get him to prescribe past just using a topical cream. An oral antifungal is metabolized by the liver so I guess potential side effects might be seen with use so some physicians want blood work to check on your liver or might just not want to prescribe this if you are older?

So the ER Doc she says hey lets both go on this med and see how we do. Fast forward a few weeks and my toenails are just starting to look better and then a few months later and they look great and so do hers.

About 5 years later the yellowing of the nails had returned... Oh well!

Fast forward again 25 years and about 5 years ago I'm at a preop visit for a hernia repair, my skin is reddish (mild jock itch I think?) around the groin area and the surgeon sends me immediately to see his wife who is a Dermatologist to get this treated. She puts me on a cream for the area, antifungal pills, and a selsun shampoo. Clears up my crotch well before surgery and clears up the nails in a few months.
Today, 61 years old, I'm still pretty good with the toenails but a few are starting to thicken again.

How about a referral to a Dermatologist for your husband?

Old 12-17-2020, 01:48 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
I fought a toenail fungus for years and years. Tried everything, home remedies, OTC, prescription.

After being in tears over this for so long, I just had all my toenails removed. While I under anesthesia for something else, lol.

Had to do it twice. My PCP did it wrong the first time and they grew back. He only used a local

No wonder it's considered "torture"! ugh.

I will say I don't regret it---life is simpler without toenails to maintain. BUT, the beds will be tender to some degree forever....at least in my case.

In case anyone wonders....no one has ever noticed the absence of the nails.

Old 12-18-2020, 11:05 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Couldn't hurt to try what I did: Listerine mouthwash. Wouldn't use that stuff in my mouth but soaked my toes in it. every night until I had gone through three bottles.

Then I just forgot about it. Until about six months later when I realized the new growth looked a lot nicer than the old part.

That was 25 years ago and no recurrence.

Mind over matter? Who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness