U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 01:51 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times

Advertisements

Lifelong insomniac here so Dr said I had to go for Sleep Study. Sleep Study Clinic PA said take a sleeping pill so we can see what you do during actual sleep. We don’t want to watch you toss and turn. We already know you can’t sleep. She kept emphasizing Sleep Apnea and CCAP machine I would need but I knew I don’t have sleep apnea. I just can’t turn my mind off and awake frequently in the night.

I get there at 7 p.m. where “nurse” (young man-professional and friendly) explains it all to me and answers questions. Then he starts to attach wires to my body (head, behind the ears, face, jaw, by my eyes, legs and forearms. About 15-20 patches have to be glued on and then the wires are snapped onto the patches. They in turn are attached to a black box about 5x8 which has to rest on the bed.

The glue smells to high heavens. It was so strong I actually tasted it and still tasted it at 6 the next morning. He also attached a sticky strip under my nose and placed a plastic thingy on this. He said it gently vacuums exhale breath to measure all sorts of things. That clear tube is attached to some place over and behind my head. Monitor wrapped around my finger as well.

Also some elastic bands which were supposed to be over my chest but I’m a big busted lady so it rode under my arm pits and was extremely uncomfortable. Another band at my waist or hips. It didn’t stay where ever it was supposed to be and I kept pulling at the arm pit one and finally had it riding right on top of my bust.

I took sleeping pill around 10:30 and after half hour of reading decided it was time to get in the bed. Very hard and noisy with plastic hospital bed sheet on it. I brought my own pillows, Nexus 10 for music and white noise, Kindle, chapstick, eye mask, nose spray, cup for water, Kleenex—all the things I thought I’d need just like at home.

I slept from 11 to 12:08 and then the nightmare began. My gown was all tangled up. I usually sleep in the nude so that was different and uncomfortable. All the wires and tubes and box made me think I was in a bed full of snakes. I tugged at my bands and gown and eventually kicked off the leg wires. He had to come back in and tape them to my legs. I was aware the camera was on and felt a bit uneasy about that. Also he could hear me (not the best night to have fixed a big pot of Cowboy Beans for supper!) I didn’t like the fact I could not get access to a light so a few times I turned on my nexus just to use as a flashlight. No window made me feel claustrophobic and I was aware I opened my eyes frequently. My mouth was extremely dry with that yucky taste. Because of the gizmo in my nose I could not drink from my cup. I started to panic. I could feel my heart racing. I clinched my fists and muttered a few choice cuss words every time I got tangled up in the wires. I kept telling myself to “calm down, don’t embarrass yourself”. I kept thinking “This is ridiculous, I’m outta here” and if I had driven myself I think I would have left but DH drove me and I didn’t want to call home and wake up the whole family.

I came this close to crying out of sheer frustration. I wondered if I would be the first to get up and leave. I wondered if they would take all the wires off and let me stay there for the night. Somehow I did manage to sleep for awhile-not sure how long but it certainly was not a restful sleep. It was a nightmare. They should call it The Nightmare Study Cllinic.

Nurse said he thought it costs $1,500 for people without insurance. Most of that is for expensive software and doctors who read the results, Why would anybody pay that much money for torture? He also said people walk out in the middle of it all the time and he has had to kick a few out for being combative. As predicted I do not have sleep apnea. When I got home I slept for 3.5 hours in deep sleep, which messed me up for that night’s sleep! I get the official results in 2-3 weeks. I'm sure they will tell me to learn to relax. Right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 05:56 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,364,838 times
first please let me say it does sound like a nightmare and I feel so bad for you going through all that.

Now,having said that, please forgive me for having laughed aloud at your very well written and descriptive experience; which was quite comical--to read--but I'm sure not to experience.

HUGS to you!!!

Old 08-04-2013, 07:04 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,258,628 times
I had two sleep studies done, but they were for apnea not insomnia. My experience was nothing compared to the original poster's. The biggest hassle was having to get the nurse person to disconnect me in order to pee around 3AM.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:08 PM

25,584 posts, read 30,493,706 times
I've had two sleep studies done. Both times I went home about 6 AM and went back to bed to get rested up. I ended up with a Bipap machine. I used it for about 6 months. I could only wear it about two or three hours, then I would remove.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:11 PM

6,719 posts, read 11,734,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
I had two sleep studies done, but they were for apnea not insomnia. My experience was nothing compared to the original poster's. The biggest hassle was having to get the nurse person to disconnect me in order to pee around 3AM.
Actually this was going to be my question -- how on earth do you pee in the middle of the night if you are all hooked up to multiple wires? Do you just try not to drink anything for 12 hours before?!

I usually wake up once at night to use the bathroom and drink some water ... I know I have a sleep disorder (it's one that about half of blind people have) but I would have to live in a cave for a week or so for it to be confirmed!! It doesn't really negatively impact my life so I just live with it.

NK it sounds like quite an ordeal!! What made you decide to have it done now? If it is simply persistent insomnia (which is awful!), is there anything they can do other than give you prescription sleeping pills?

Let us know what the results say, you have me very curious!

Old 08-04-2013, 07:23 PM

104 posts, read 399,435 times
I empathize with you. I had a sleep study a year ago to rule out sleep apnea along with persistent migraine headaches. With all the wires attached you feel like an alien and no you don't get restful sleep; I do recall nightmares and gaspising for air. I did not have sleep apnea but did have problems going to sleep and staying asleep which I had reported to the neurologist who ordered the study. I did not have to any out of pocket costs for the study but I feel in a way it may have been unnecessary given that the results matched what I reported to my doctor. I too woke up early and asked to go home to get some restful sleep. Even after that sleep study I still have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep and I hate how tired I am the next day with and without having taken medication to help me sleep. Let me know if you have found some sleep relief.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:38 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
I have now had 3 sleep studies done over 8 years. My experience was NOTHING like the OP's. I fell asleep within 15 min or so, but I am claustrophobic and awakened thinking the machine was not working and the power was out. It was that dark in the room! The tech came right in and changed the mask to one which I tolerated well. I then slept well until I had to go to the bathroom. I just said "I have to go to the bathroom" and the tech came and disconnected the wire bundle from the computer. The paste they used did not bother me, I guess different places use different things. I went back to sleep again until I was awakened in the a.m. My subsequent studies were the same except for the feeling the power was out. My last one charged Medicare about $3,750. Thank goodness I don't have to pay that.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:46 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,258,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Actually this was going to be my question -- how on earth do you pee in the middle of the night if you are all hooked up to multiple wires? Do you just try not to drink anything for 12 hours before?
Actually, hassle wasn't the right word - I think it was more of a self conscious thing. It's pretty simple, all the wires are connected via one bundled connector so it is only one disconnect. I just felt weird pushing the button and speaking into the dark room to the voice over the loudspeaker: "I need to pee".

Old 08-04-2013, 08:13 PM

8,161 posts, read 9,363,321 times
no kudzu, I can understand completely. I had two sleep studies done earlier this year, and they were both hellish. I also sleep nude, so having to actually wear pj's made me very uncomfortable and restricted. Brought my own pillows, but the bed sucked. Too hard, sheets were uncomfortable, and they couldn't get the temperature in the room to stabilize. All night it was either to hot or too cold, back and forth, back and forth. All the wires drove me nuts, and my mind just raced all night. It usually takes me a couple hours to fall asleep regardless of how tired I am, so that coupled with the urgency to need to sleep for the study made it hard to settle down.

First night, which had me there for 10 hours, I ended with less than 3 hours of actual sleep, and it was very fragmented at that, never made it deeper than stage 2 sleep. It was a nightmare. I left the place angry. Not at them, just that it had turned out that way and that my sleep problems are so severe.

Last edited by 11thHour; 08-04-2013 at 08:47 PM..

Old 08-04-2013, 10:57 PM

5,280 posts, read 3,341,742 times
Same experience here as the OP. Complete waste of time and money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness