Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 02:52 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It made me sore, red and my skin was so dry and cracked I bled.
I am not saying it will be like that for you...
For most people, it is indeed exactly like that. Using a low dose helps, and you need coping techniques such as changing your cleansers and moisturizers, avoiding sun exposure, using eye drops and heavy lip balm, etc. Your doctor should have made all that clear before giving you the script. My isotretinoin courses were miserable - the first, higher dose course was far worse than the second, lower dose course. But they were totally worth it and I would not hesitate to use it again if I needed to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 08:53 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times
I also used Accutane in the 80's and it permanently eliminated my acne. So well in fact that both my mother and sister decided to also use it for milder acne, both with permanent success. I had a dry, somewhat reddened face and cracked lips when using it, but definitely worth never having to deal with acne again! I remember feeling kindof sexy with the side-effects, for it looked like I received too much sun & getting sun was attractive. Crazy teenager logic.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:55 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,974,571 times
I'm tired of taking Accutane at this point. I'm on my 3rd pack and I've had every side effect you can name and I'm fed up now. My cyst acne has cleared so I'm happy it's worked and in a short amount of time but I honestly don't think it's safe for me to continue all the way to 6 months. The joint pain is really bad and I've read that some people continue to have it after treatment for years. My hair has also thinned out and I'm not happy about that at all since I've always had nice thick hair. I don't even get blowouts anymore because I don't want to do anything that will cause additional breakage. I have 10 pills left and I'm going to finish those, then I'm done. At this point I'm happy with the results so I don't see a need to continue especially given that my body is not responding well to the medication.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,189 times
Default Natural treatments for acne prone skin

This may sound strange to many people but, washing ones face with raw honey works wonderfully well at controlling mild to moderate acne. It must be RAW honey with all of it's antibacterial and antimicrobial benefits intact. Pasteurized honey, the kind you see in the plastic bear bottles, will not work as all the beneficial properties have been killed.

Trust me, I know this sounds weird to most people but, it truly does work. When I hit my mid 30's my face turned from a bit oily to combination skin & the oily patches increased & I had more acne than when I was a teen! Honestly. However, I've been using home made remedies from my herb garden (as well as essential oils) for years & for my family, they work wonders. So I thought, why not try raw honey? I have it in my pantry anyway. I've been faithfully cleaning my face & neck with raw honey twice a day for 3 weeks now & I've had a drastic decline in the number of whiteheads. Before I began using the honey, I'd have a dozen little whiteheads all over my face, every single morning. Now, my skin is smoother, firmer, brighter & blemish free! I've thrown out all those face washes & creams & serums. They didn't work anyway. I have naturally beautiful skin now!

I've also discovered that several oils & butters I have on hand to make body butters & lip balms will work wonderfully on the face & neck. My personal favorite is raw, cold pressed hemp seed oil. It has a comedogenic rating of 0 which means it will not clog pores or cause pimples so, it's wonderful for even acne prone skin. It's light & is absorbed fairly quickly. After 3 weeks of use morning & night (after washing with raw honey), the lines I had on my forehead & around my mouth are gone & my skin is SO soft! I highly recommend at least giving this a try. If it doesn't work for you, you still have two all natural products that can be used as a nice sweetener & salad oil.

For tougher areas such as the nose (where I have problems with blackheads) and to shrink pores, I use a natural clay mask & it sucks up the yuck from pores like a vacuum. I use it after I've exfoliated using a homemade sugar scrub. I'll post a link to the clay below.

I'd love to hear from any who try this as to what your results are. I've included links to the products I use for the convenience of others. Best of luck!

Here's a link to info on why washing with honey is beneficial:[url=http://www.crunchybetty.com/honey-challenge]Take the Crunchy Betty Honey Challenge! |[/url]
I use Y.S. Eco Bee Farms Raw Honey:[url=http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B28Z9IC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailp age_o00_s00]Amazon.com : Y.S. Eco Bee Farms Raw Honey - 22 oz, Pack Of 2 : Grocery & Gourmet Food[/url]
The Hemp oil I use:[url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00016XDVG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_ detailpage]Amazon.com: Manitoba Harvest Hemp Seed Oil, 12 Fluid Ounce: Health & Personal Care[/url]
Great info on facial oils:[url=http://thebestorganicskincare.com/a-list-of-non-comedogenic-facial-oils]A List Of Non-Comedogenic Facial Oils | The Best Organic Skin Care[/url]
Facial Clay:[url]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014P8L9W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_ detailpage[/url]

Last edited by KnowledgeGeek; 03-16-2016 at 02:58 AM.. Reason: adding more info

Old 03-18-2016, 05:09 AM

50,331 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I only know a few people who have taken it and it isn't pleasant, but it is sometimes the best treatment. My SonIL's side of the family had severe acne which left them with scars. My oldest grandson was afflicted and took Accutane. It saved his face from a lifetime of scars, and it was only necessary to get him through his teens. I can see why adults with persistent acne would not be able to tolerate it for a long time, but a one shot deal to have good skin is worth it.

A friend's son also took it in high school and was forced to discontinue for the reasons others have mentioned, extremely dry lips and discomfort.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:52 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindTheCure View Post
So I went to the dermatologist recently and I told him how frustrated I was that nothing was working in treating my mild acne. I've had acne for 9 years beginning in high school and it's an ongoing problem. I've tried many different treatments and some have helped for a few pimples but no treatment has helped me in getting rid of the acne completely. The dermatologist suggested Accutane because there are two uses: one is for people with cystic acne and the other is for people who may have less acne but more persistent acne.

I have a few weeks to make my decision. My acne has been a huge problem in my life and I really really want it to just go away. Should I go ahead with the Accutane? How bad would an initial breakout be for someone with mild acne who takes Accutane?
Try drinking lots of water and avoiding fried foods. Some acne is genetic, especially those people who get pizza face and then end up with craters in their skin. My sister had it thru puberty, I never had more than one pimple on occasion.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:12 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
If you're female, go on the pill. Worked wonders for me.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:53 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Well, the pill isn't the answer for most.

My grandgirl is 19 and she's been trying so much for the last 4-5 yrs..meds, peels, laser work and FINALLY she believes she has found her answer....she's gone off GLUTEN. She used to even have rashes on arms and they are about gone too. No more stomach bloating either. I saw her last night for dinner and her skin was beautiful. Many are finding the pits of gluten. It's pretty easy today as there is so much gluten free foods and many restaurants are using GF products.

Gluten: The Greatest Enemy of Clear Skin

There is a lot of info on this connection === skin and gluten

Old 03-21-2016, 04:34 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Well, the pill isn't the answer for most.

My grandgirl is 19 and she's been trying so much for the last 4-5 yrs..meds, peels, laser work and FINALLY she believes she has found her answer....she's gone off GLUTEN. She used to even have rashes on arms and they are about gone too. No more stomach bloating either. I saw her last night for dinner and her skin was beautiful. Many are finding the pits of gluten. It's pretty easy today as there is so much gluten free foods and many restaurants are using GF products.

Gluten: The Greatest Enemy of Clear Skin

There is a lot of info on this connection === skin and gluten
The only "info" on this purported connection is on ridiculous alternative health sites like Mercola...

There is actually no proof that gluten influences acne....as in none....

The idea that "gluten" is somehow responsible for so many ills is preposterous, unless someone has gluten intolerance there is no reason to avoid gluten containing products

4 new gluten myths that appeal to the healthy | FoodConnections.org

Oh, by the way, there is boatloads of evidence that OCP's are beneficial in treating acne, not sure how you figure that a scientifically PROVEN method of controlling acne isn't the answer for "most"....

Not the answer for males, but for "most" women....sure.....

Certainly more likely to work than avoiding gluten....

Old 03-21-2016, 06:03 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I don't find Mercola ridiculous...you may but I do not. My info is not from his site. But there are many sites on this issue. Plus I do believe the wheats today are GMO products. Guess that is a myth too.

Here's a non-mercola site:

http://www.acneeinstein.com/gluten-acne/

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-21-2016 at 06:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness