Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2013, 08:28 PM

606 posts, read 1,394,463 times

Advertisements

My son is almost 8 years old. For the past three months we have been watching s small cyst on the back of his head. It is on the center of the back of his head a couple of inches above the hairline, below the occipital bone. Probably about 2 cm in size and not changing rapidly.
It is not red or irritated, and the skin is smooth. The "cyst" moves easily when palpitated and is not fixed. It only bothers him when we touch it.
After three months of observation, I took him back to the pediatrician who suggested going to a pediatric surgeon. That seemed a bit drastic to me. Wanting another opinion, I took him to a dermatologist who is unsure of what it is, as well. Dermatologist wants him to see a plastic surgeon.
In short, it obviously needs to be removed in order to diagnose it. I was really hopong this could be done in the doctor's office by a dermatologist, but this is obviously not the case.
I am not a big fan of surgery, but don't want to take any chances with my child.
What would you do? Go to the plastic surgeion or see another dermatilogist, or get another opinion from another pediatrician?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 09:13 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,535,399 times
I'd go to the surgeon. Chances are they'll just numb him up, and drain it but you never know.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:56 AM
ino

680 posts, read 2,491,219 times
Well I can quote two instances of cyst removal.

Our adult daughter had one in the middle of the top of her head, doctor said as long as it moves under the skin it is just a cyst. She had it for several years and it started to slowly get bigger. It eventually caused enough tightness of the skin surface that it ruptured the skin while she was messing around with her hair, she removed crap out before a small sac popped out. Job done, no more cyst, that was several years ago now.

I had one myself, below the eye just below my shaving line on one cheek, it was a brownish colour similar to a freckle and was slowly growing over months. I eventually got sick of seeing it there and deliberately cut it while shaving, squeezed the begeebers out of it removing all the crap. It started to come back over more months so I cut it again and squeezed it again and when all the crap came out a small sac came out. That was a year or so ago now and it has never come back, again, job done.

Before anyone suggests idiocy in my act I'll get in now and say - anyone is entitled to say what they want, but I'll respond here by saying toughen up and stop running the doc with every little thing that happens. Daughter fixed hers without the aid of a doc or any such bunkum, and I fixed mine without the aid a doc.

If you know it's only a cyst, make sure your hands are clean and get stuck into it if you want to get rid of it, but make sure a sac comes out after all the crap is expelled. You'll be left with a bit of a hole, but that heals up.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:48 AM

523 posts, read 3,797,683 times
It beggars belief that anyone would consider it a good idea to perform "do it yourself" paediatric surgery at home. I would recommend going ahead with a paediatric plastic surgeon consult, as has been recommended to you by your dermatologist.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:16 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,730,900 times
I would take him to the pediatric surgeon recommended by the pediatrician. The cyst is in an area that will be hidden by his hair, so scarring is probably not a major concern, and the pediatric surgeon might know more about the problem than a plastic surgeon.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:01 PM

606 posts, read 1,394,463 times
Thank you for all of your opinions. I really appreciate them.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:40 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,397,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post
My son is almost 8 years old. For the past three months we have been watching s small cyst on the back of his head. It is on the center of the back of his head a couple of inches above the hairline, below the occipital bone. Probably about 2 cm in size and not changing rapidly.
It is not red or irritated, and the skin is smooth. The "cyst" moves easily when palpitated and is not fixed. It only bothers him when we touch it.
After three months of observation, I took him back to the pediatrician who suggested going to a pediatric surgeon. That seemed a bit drastic to me. Wanting another opinion, I took him to a dermatologist who is unsure of what it is, as well. Dermatologist wants him to see a plastic surgeon.
In short, it obviously needs to be removed in order to diagnose it. I was really hopong this could be done in the doctor's office by a dermatologist, but this is obviously not the case.
I am not a big fan of surgery, but don't want to take any chances with my child.
What would you do? Go to the plastic surgeion or see another dermatilogist, or get another opinion from another pediatrician?
Thanks in advance.
If I had 2 doctors tell me to take him to the surgeon, I would take him. They will remove it an analyze it to make sure it is benign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness