Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:37 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times

Advertisements

Just a vent here......

Recently I broke my arm, and can't open pill bottles. My dh bought me one of those pill/day boxes, and has them all counted out. Good idea!

But it points out how many pills I'm taking! No wonder my appetite is poor---my stomach is filled with pills!

Ok, here's what I take:

Metformin 2 500 mg tablets, morning and night

Metoprolol, one 50 mg/am

Cymbalta 2 30 mg/AM

prednisone 3 5 mg /AM

folic acid one/AM

In addition, 8 Citrical/day, spread out through the day

Then, on a per week basis:

Enbrel, 2x week

methotrxate, once/week

Vit D, 50,000 IU/week

and now, for a sinus + tooth infection, antibiotics 4x/day, along with Motrin for pain and sudaphed

ARRRRRRRGH!!!!!!

I'm so sick of pills!

And I HATE that pill/day box, even though it does help, it makes me feel like a senile old lady!

Well, ok, at least no risk of dehydration, I swallow at least 2-4 glasses of water to get all those pills down!

Wonder what would happen if I "just said NO to drugs?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 02:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Heres a feel good movie that might encourage you to the possibility of getting rid of most of those pills.

Fat Sick & Nearly Dead - YouTube

Last edited by jambo101; 09-02-2013 at 02:24 AM..

Old 09-02-2013, 03:15 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Make you feel any better to know that I had to get the husband 2 pill boxes for when we travel?
In addition to the 4 things that aren't in pill form.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:33 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Well let's see: I did a quick check on "why people take these particular drugs" - just to see if there are any common denominators.

The main ones are Type 2 diabetes and diabetes-caused neuropathy and related aches and pains that go along with it...which can mimic fibromyalgia, and hypertension, which can be exacerbated by type 2 diabetes and obesity in general (even if the patient doesn't have diabetes).

The prednisone is an immunosuppressant, which means you're prone to infection, which would require you to take antibiotics, which the prednisone would make less effective, which would make you prone to infection, etc. etc. etc.

Taking folate and methotrexate is pointless - your body needs folate. The function of methotrexate is to reduce an -over-abundance of folate. Taking folate gives you more folate. So these two pills are cancelling each other out.

Enbrel isn't a pill, it's an injection, for RA.

It sounds to me, like most of your problems stem from whatever is causing your type2 diabetes. I have no idea what you look like or how much you weigh, but obesity is the #1 most common cause of type 2 diabetes. If you are obese, you can probably *drastically* reduce ALL your symptoms, and possibly eliminate some of those meds, by losing weight, and getting fit. You'd have to work through the pain, but there are people at the gym I go to who are where you are now, and they're doing it. Slowly - but surely, and they're seeing results.

If you're not obese, I would still direct you to a nutritionist AND your pharmacist. The whole folic acid supplement combined with methotrexate is suspect and a pharmacist can probably help you understand exactly what you're taking, what each thing is doing to you, and why. I really think some of those symptoms are side effects of some of the drugs, which you could eliminate through diet and exercise. Not all - but certainly some.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:04 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Well let's see: I did a quick check on "why people take these particular drugs" - just to see if there are any common denominators.

The main ones are Type 2 diabetes and diabetes-caused neuropathy and related aches and pains that go along with it...which can mimic fibromyalgia, and hypertension, which can be exacerbated by type 2 diabetes and obesity in general (even if the patient doesn't have diabetes).

The prednisone is an immunosuppressant, which means you're prone to infection, which would require you to take antibiotics, which the prednisone would make less effective, which would make you prone to infection, etc. etc. etc.

Taking folate and methotrexate is pointless - your body needs folate. The function of methotrexate is to reduce an -over-abundance of folate. Taking folate gives you more folate. So these two pills are cancelling each other out.

It sounds to me, like most of your problems stem from whatever is causing your type2 diabetes. I have no idea what you look like or how much you weigh, but obesity is the #1 most common cause of type 2 diabetes. If you are obese, you can probably *drastically* reduce ALL your symptoms, and possibly eliminate some of those meds, by losing weight, and getting fit. You'd have to work through the pain, but there are people at the gym I go to who are where you are now, and they're doing it. Slowly - but surely, and they're seeing results.

If you're not obese, I would still direct you to a nutritionist AND your pharmacist. The whole folic acid supplement combined with methotrexate is suspect and a pharmacist can probably help you understand exactly what you're taking, what each thing is doing to you, and why. I really think some of those symptoms are side effects of some of the drugs, which you could eliminate through diet and exercise. Not all - but certainly some.
Prednisone is also use for inflammation. I have to take it for asthma.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:31 AM

ummmm....the folic acid is a prescription, prescribed to balance the depleting effect of Methotrexate. Its 1 mcg dose, which is much more than the RDA. The purpose of methotrexate is NOT to deplete folic acid, its a side effect we try to avoid with additional supplementation.

Yes, Enbrel is an injection, taken 2@/week.

Yes, many of the problems I'm experiencing are side effects of the prednisone, but withough prednisone my primary issues---rheumatoid arthritis and psoraisis---are not controlled.

You'd be surprised at the pills I have eliminated. I was taking Lipotor and Tri--? the name escapes me and I don't feel like looking it up, but for high triglycerides. Since changing diet, I have brought my cholesterol and TG's well under control.

Its not really Type II diabetes, but might as well call it that. Its actually steroid-induced hyperglycemia, due, of course, to the prednisone. Well, this time last year my FBG was around 400, and my random BG was 598+. Now I'm at about 90 FBG, try to never go beyond 140 random. Metformin has been instrumental in the management of my BG, but it doesn't stop there. I really have changed my diet. I know people who simply take insulin, or a fistful of pills, and think that's all there is to it, and continue with the same habits Looking back at what I used to eat, literally turns my stomach I simply shake my head as I drive past MCD with mile-long lines at meal times.

And, yes....you're quite right, exercise really does help. It doesn't have to be bouncing around in a gym, there's so many things there that are a hazard for me. Instead, I have some home workout DVD's. I find my BG often peaked in the afternoon, around 210. A simple 30 min exercise session I would drop 50-60 pointS!

I find it sad, but most people simple swallow a fistful of pills, and think that's all there is to any chronic disease management. Lifestyle changes are seldom considered.

It was an eyeopener when we filled up that little pill box! Some of those pills are so big, especially Metformin, bi horse pills. I'm taking a generic, I might ask if there's a smaller version. The Citrical is essential, especially now with a broken bone. Except that I need so many----I take the Citrical petite, which is smaller than the regular ones, but a smaller dose. Each one is 200 mg, I need 8/day = 1600 mg calcium. The amount of milk I can drink is limited, due to its carb content.

Oh, forgot to mention the skin creams---3 creams to treat the psoraisis---greasing up every night s a thrill

Old 09-02-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Make you feel any better to know that I had to get the husband 2 pill boxes for when we travel?
In addition to the 4 things that aren't in pill form.

If they add any more pills to the regiem, I will need another box, too

I probably should have another box for the weekly pills, I just remember to take them on Sunday,

Methotrexate

Vit D

Then, of course, the Enbrel, which must be kept refrigerated. I get a 3 month supply at a time from the mail order pharmacy. Its so bulky, I have a seperate small fridge I keep it stored in.

Guess gone are the days I could pack a bag and hop a plane in a minute's notice---I need at least as long as the vacation to pack all my pills!

Old 09-02-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

Well, actually, the "common denominator" is rheumatoid arthritis, which is NOT related to obesity. Its an auto-immune disease. The mainstay of treatment has been prednisone, which has produced side effects, such as the "diabetes". Actually, what I have is called Steroid-Induced Hypergylcemia, which for all practical purposes is the same thing as Diabetes Type II.

As with all chronic, incruable diseases, its a balancing act. There is no cure for RA, and all treatments have side effects. One must weigh the benefits/risks of all treatments. The risks of prednisone-induced hyperglycemia, hypertension, osteoporosis, and other problems were all known before I started the drug. They were an acceptable tradeoff for my degree of severity of RA. Please, no discussions about haw RA is a "disease of sloth", it is an autoimmune disease, the body literally attacks and destroys its own tissues, including joints, as well as internal organs such as heart, kidneys, blood vessels, anywhere connective tissue is located (which is just bout the whole body). When I first developed RA, I was 21, 5"4" and weighed less than 120 lb---hardly a fat, lazy slob! The other issues have stemmed from the treatment of the primary issue, the RA. Still, I manage to remain independent! BTW, I currently weigh 147, so, still not a fatty!

But, you are so right, diet and exercise can and do help ameloriate the symptoms. They are NOT a cure, but need to be part of the overall treatment. They are so often ignored

Old 09-02-2013, 01:12 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
You do realize drugs are toxic, right?

In your case, I would visit an M.D. who is also a naturopath and come at your problems from a holistic perspective.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:18 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Many pills, prescription or not, can have a negative reaction to other pills. I would suggest you talk to your doctor about all the pills you're taking and see what he/she says. You may need to make some adjustment on your pill taking schedule or have to eliminate some. Your Doc would know best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness