Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 01:48 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times

Advertisements

My Sons manage properties and bed bugs are a mother to get rid of, normal poisons don't touch them. I think the process is heating the place up to some unGodly temperature for a long time and that bakes them. There may be other ways, but that is just one I heard of, and it costs LOTS of money to do.

We no longer buy any used furniture, even desks and things like that, because bed bugs are becoming so commonplace, and they hide in the tiniest cracks. My Sons tell me you can tell if you have them because you will see blood trails up the walls sometimes.

Damn, it makes me itch all over just thinking about them !

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 02:32 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,645,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We no longer buy any used furniture, even desks and things like that, because bed bugs are becoming so commonplace, and they hide in the tiniest cracks.
There are lots of reports of bed bugs in new furniture, including mattresses, etc. It's so disgusting.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:44 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
There are lots of reports of bed bugs in new furniture, including mattresses, etc. It's so disgusting.

Eeeeeech ! I even dread staying at nice hotels any more.

Don

Old 09-05-2013, 03:56 PM

3 posts, read 6,266 times
I have been an appetizer by many a bug, and clearly I can not see these bites as bug bites unless you scratched and forgot to mention that. possibly a young spider of sorts, not poision but just toxic to irritate the skin. your age should be factored in since seniors often have sensitive skin, a simple bite to some can cause an exaggerated result for others, as scratching can as well. 'Fog' your place inside and out. along the foundation use ortho or a similar spray 1 foot up from the dirt line. inside throw a fogger in the attic and basement at the same time your fog inside and spray outside. and do what I call 'diy home exterminator'. buy the strongest bug/spider/scorpion/mini monster illuminator fogger offered, do it all in one day, and buy a extra one or two foggers to make sure all corners are exposed. in this situation more rather than less is better protection. make sure that you are not pregnant or trying to get pregnant and keep the room/house locked up tight for as long as possiblen after you fog it is my belief that it is more efficient. and on that note and I need advise... I have been trying to trap bees of all sorts. buying bait making my own traps for years successfully. this year nothing gets them. so I made my own 'internet recipe' bait ...then made my own bait....doesn't matter, they arent fallin for it. the trap is modeled after the store bought trap. the ol soapy water spray isn't even doing the job of disabling their flight. what is going on....do they have little superbee suits on made of kripdinite? do they tire of the 'bait' they outlived? what can I do different...the nest is still yet to be found as natl, forest hides them...but I always had control on them...the whole colony eventually finds the trap.....as they can kill me I must find the right solution.
kesther thanks for any input

Last edited by kesther; 09-05-2013 at 04:08 PM..

Old 09-05-2013, 05:16 PM

29,792 posts, read 24,876,501 times
Those don't look like any bed bug bites I've ever seen, but I could be wrong. Bed bugs don't always bite in rows, but many times they do. If there are bed bugs though, buy yourself some diatomaceous earth (DE) FOOD GRADE! I cannot stress this enough MAKE SURE IT'S FOOD GRADE!!! Spread that stuff around very generously (it's extremely cheap). You can even make a perimeter on your sheets while you are sleeping, as this stuff is completely safe. As the name suggests, you can even eat it. What it does is it slices their hard exoskeleton, causing them to dehydrate and die. Takes about 8 days to kill them all, but you must continue to spread it around for a month or two to get all of them.

Bed bugs are a nightmare to get rid of as others have stated. Even if you do eliminate the problem, if your neighbors in a complex have them, they will continue to find their way in. Almost every complex around the Ohare area here has reports of them, as well as every hotel. New York is even worse. With persistence, you can eliminate them, but not everyone is persistent.

Also buy a mattress encasement if bedbugs are discovered. A good one can run over 50 dollars, but the cheap ones only offer a false sense of security. Many of the cheap ones have positive reviews because people have initial success. After a couple months when these encasements wear in, the bugs start finding their way to their hosts, and the problem returns with a vengeance. There is no need to call the exterminator though. Way too expensive, and the results are never guaranteed. Anyone with a working brain can achieve the same chances of success for far less cost.

I do hope you do not have bed bugs! They are no fun at all, but they can be defeated.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:32 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
Have you considered the kissing bug?

Old 09-05-2013, 09:15 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,787,328 times
Read an article this past spring that the Bulgarians had a folk remedy to get rid of them and it sounds similar to d. earth. They would take kidney bean plants and lay them in a circle around the bed and when the bugs came out at night to feed, they would get caught up in the hairy leaves like velcro and then you'd take the leaves out the next morning and burn them. I'm guessing they probably dried some for wintertime. Obviously not everyone will have those but if you have a garden you may want to plant some next spring. It does seem too like any hairy bean leaves would work but I'm not sure.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:04 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
Here in upstate NY I am 100% absolutely sure we have no bedbug problem but have been getting similar looking and only mild itching bites and have to conclude spiders simply due to the lack of the variety of bugs as found down south.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:34 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,645,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Here in upstate NY I am 100% absolutely sure we have no bedbug problem but have been getting similar looking and only mild itching bites and have to conclude spiders simply due to the lack of the variety of bugs as found down south.
According to the Bed Bug Registry in upstate NY, there are bed bugs in the area.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:26 AM

830 posts, read 1,537,164 times
Those look like bed bug bites I once got in university housing. Mine were never in rows even though that is common. Different people reacted different ways - some people had spots which stayed small-looking, while mine enlarged like that.

It was one horrible summer and in the end the university just kept the house vacant for a whole year to attempt to deal with the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness