Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2019, 12:00 PM

676 posts, read 721,084 times

Advertisements

I had routine bloodwork and I went to the dr for results. All was ok but he mentioned my lymphocytes wear slightly elevated. He went on and on about leukemia and all the different types. So he wants me to get another CBC in 2 weeks.

I was floored. I feel fine and this kind of talk unnerved me quite a bit. Very unexpected.

I told him I had a cold prior to my bloodwork. But he insisted on the 2 week recheck. He also stated that if it isn’t normal in 2 weeks, he will send me to a hemotologist.

The bloodwork from 6 months ago was normal and my total wbc was normal then and now as well.

Needless to say I’m quite concerned, especially since I don’t feel physically sick. Like what the heck. This came out of left field for sure.

Any encouraging thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 12:16 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
A viral infection is a common cause of a mild elevation in lymphocyte count, and you just had one. Odds are this is nothing to worry about. If the count hasn't decreased two weeks from now, then you can start to be concerned. But the odds are good that that this will turn out to be nothing significant.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:09 PM

676 posts, read 721,084 times
Thanks for your reply.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:13 PM

7,255 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post

The bloodwork from 6 months ago was normal and my total wbc was normal then and now as well...

If your total WBC count was normal, then presumably the portion of lymphocytes was a little elevated (they're reported as % of total)-- How does this genius doctor know it's elevated lymphocytes and not a decrease in the proportion of one of the other WBC types? I bet he never thought of that.

If he thinks a repeat test is warranted, then 2 weeks might be too soon.

Normal lymphocyte counts are a few thousand. Lymphocytic leukemia has counts more like 60-100,000. Aredhel correctly points out that viral infections commonly cause a rise in lymphocyte counts 2 or 3 x normal and may take a few weeks to come down.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:18 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
I had routine bloodwork and I went to the dr for results. All was ok but he mentioned my lymphocytes wear slightly elevated. He went on and on about leukemia and all the different types. So he wants me to get another CBC in 2 weeks.

I was floored. I feel fine and this kind of talk unnerved me quite a bit. Very unexpected.

I told him I had a cold prior to my bloodwork. But he insisted on the 2 week recheck. He also stated that if it isn’t normal in 2 weeks, he will send me to a hemotologist.

The bloodwork from 6 months ago was normal and my total wbc was normal then and now as well.

Needless to say I’m quite concerned, especially since I don’t feel physically sick. Like what the heck. This came out of left field for sure.

Doesn't sound alarming, could be nothing. I had Lymphoma and now my lymphocytes are always very low, it bothers me but there's nothing I can do about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness