U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2013, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 7,419 times

Advertisements

I'm at the end of my rope, and don't know where else to turn. Here's the background:

Firstly, I deal with chronic pain, and my pain level is high every day. The drs at Mayo, haven't and able to put all the symptoms together, but they are very similar to MS and Lupus. I also have fibromyalgia and shingles. It causes depression due to not being able to escape from the pain, and is very stressful. About five months ago I brought home a puppy that was infested with ticks. It caused a major tick infestation in my house and I've spent the last five months battling it, but I believe it's under control. About three months ago my head started itching terribly along with my face. I started thinking I had to see ticks on my head and my face was just dry due to showering so much. I stopped wearing make up and I started moisturizing my face all the time to get rid of the dryness to no avail. In June, I got a call that my daughter was in a terrible accident. She jumped in the pool and broken her neck. They had to put her neck back together and it was in and out of intensive care and the hospital four times and we almost lost her each time. She stayed with me for two months after being released from the hospital and my symptoms started getting worse. I would feel crawling and biting and when I went to the area, it was red and there were bumps and a lot of the time I was able to pick off a tiny dark gray bug. A few times they were wormlike parasites. My daughter started thinking I was losing it. I forgot to mention, at the beginning of the year I almost lost my mother and she was 1600 miles away, and I'm mentioning it to show the stress I was under. After my daughter went home and life was to go back to normal my symptoms continued to get worse. Tiny white things that look like an opaque grain of salt started appearing out of my skin along with tiny bright white mites, and I even showed my daughter one of the white things as it was coming out of my skin. It got worse and worse and I went to a walk-in clinic and he did everything but call me crazy. I did research on the Internet and my symptoms fit Demodex mites, except that you aren't supposed to be able to see them and I could definitely see these. In desperation, I went to a dermatologist who took a biopsy of a bump on my arm, but he wasn't familiar with any skin parasites. He went out of town before giving me any results so I went to another dermatologist. He said he was familiar with Demodex, but that my parasite didn't fit that description, Nor anything else he was familiar with. I took in some of the parasites and the salt grain like things, and we looked at them under a microscope. He said that he couldn't rule out that they were bugs, but he believed that they weren't. He said that the egg like things could be from my hair follicle and were the bulbs that each hair follicle holds, because they sometimes come out. Keep in mind that one one night I moisturized, I shed about 50 to 100 of these in a two hour period. He asked me if I would be upset if he told me that he didn't think they were parasites. He said he thought it was delusional parasitosis. I told him I would love nothing better than to have this because it would mean I didn't have parasites. He gave me some information on this condition and it made me so happy and relieved because I told him that I would rather be crazy then has these. I continue to get the biting and stinging and I still pick these things off of me. I continue to get red marks and have had a few of the wormlike parasites again. In the meantime, the first dermatologist got the biopsy results back and it showed Anthropod reaction. When I told the second dermatologist, he said that unless they found bug parts in it, it could be other things as well and he still wasn't convinced. Yesterday I decided that I was not going to let this turn me into a crazy person and stay suicidal, spending every available moment picking these off of me. I came home from work, and got in the mindframe that these things weren't really happening to me, as I was trying to make excuses for each of my symptoms. Then the stinging started again, where I was able to pick more off of me along with the salt grain like eggs. Let me mention, that some of my health issues are nonexistent vitamin D in my blood, abnormal lymphocytes in my blood for over a year. I'm finding it really hard to believe that these aren't really bugs, when they leave a mark, get red and I'm able to show that there was something that I'm able to pick off at the same time. Last night I found a healed bite and it had a black dot in the middle. I scraped and scraped til the black dot came off, and underneath was a little pit , with what looked to be one of the worm bugs, dried up. Probably due to the ivermectin topical I used last week. I have another one of these on my stomach, but probably more. I have tried so hard to explain the sharp stings as being shingles, which I've had in the past. I am not hoping to convince anyone that these are real, I am hoping someone help me find answers as to why they are not. I really need help us I'm at the end of my rope and don't how much longer I can do this. Anyone?

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-26-2013 at 02:55 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 12:39 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,054,517 times
Please ask you doctors to refer you for a psychological/psychiatric assessment okay?

I know it's hard to believe the mind could be powerful enough to create real physical symptoms, but it is.

Don't continue to live such a miserable life without trying ALL avenues of treatment

Old 09-26-2013, 01:10 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,978,939 times
That's quite a story.

I found this with 4,000 types of parasites:

https://humaworm.com/parasitetypes.html

Which lead me to this:

threadworm infection - definition of threadworm infection in the Medical dictionary - by the Free Online Medical Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Also from the first link, read about hookworms and how they can infect human skin.

Actually, just "find" the word "skin" throughout the first link and you'll find many different types of parasites.

You might do better seeing an internist. Try to get a stool sample to see if you have intestinal parasites.

I do agree that a psych eval might be appropriate, but at the same time I'd still try to identify the parasite just in case it really is one.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:06 PM

87 posts, read 117,696 times
I don't think it is psychological. You already have autonomic dysfunction identified by the Mayo clinic, and weird, unexplainable symptoms like these are often reported. Many people with dysautonomia are declared "crazy" at some point. I actually believe you have a form of parasite, but not sure where to go next since you already have visited two dermatologists.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:03 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,978,939 times
Mayo hasn't officially diagnosed her with an autonomic dysfunction, but my girlfriend had symptoms of lupus for 10 years before the blood work finally verified it. A weakened immune system could result in strange parasites. Alternately, parasites can weaken the immune system.

What does the first dermatologist suggest? The one who received back a positive lab result for an anthropod reaction?

Since you actually have these little specimens but your derm couldn't identify them under the microscope, why not try contacting an entomologist at state university to see if he/she is willing to identify your specimens.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:48 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,539,506 times
The link Hope put on led to a description of MORGELLONS DISEASE which sounds exactly like what the op describes.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:02 AM

637 posts, read 1,010,047 times
What do the doctors who were treating you at Mayo say? Have the dermatologists told them of their findings? Were the dermatologists aware that you are under the care of the doctors at Mayo for a host of other symptoms? It seems to me that abnormal skin sensations would be a symptom to be considered in determining whether you have MS, Lupus or another autoimmune disorder and they should be communicating with each other.

Has anyone considered Lyme Disease? What about exposure to a toxin, like something you used to get rid of the ticks? What about pain killers or other RX medications that you take? Can these sensations be a side effect of them?

Old 09-27-2013, 12:10 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
I was thinking Morgellons also.

An old home remedy for skin parasites is to put a layer of vaseline over the affected area twice a day. It will smother anything that's living there and will help irritated skin heal itself.

To get rid of ticks in the house, sprinkle your carpets and under couch cushions and your mattress with food-grade diatomaceous earth. If you still have the puppy, you can dust him with it also. Ticks always climb up, so look for them toward the top of walls or drapes. We had ticks really bad because my neighbor was neglecting his dogs, but after I treated my house and yard really well, his wife started finding ticks on their baby and so they called an exterminator and now we're back to finding a tick or two each week on the dog, not dozens of them every day.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:27 PM

1,913 posts, read 2,704,256 times
Two possibilities:

1) You are experiencing delusions/hallucinations and need psychiatric care. This could be Morgellons, as your own doc stated, and what you are seeing are cotton fibers and irritation from your own scratching and skin picking. The mind is very powerful & it is not your fault if this is happening. You have experienced a lot of trauma, so it makes sense that you may develop a psychiatric disorder from stress.

Or

2) http://www.dovepress.com.offcampus.l...d-article-CCID

http://f1000research.com/articles/2-25/v1

A new etiology for Morgellons, ie. either an active tick-borne illness caused by spirochetes, or some response to the spirochetes that have already left & can no longer be treated. I would share this info with my dermatologist, acknowledge that you know the true cause of Morgellons is not yet understood, but request to be treated for a spirochete disease (ex. antibiotics, like doxycycline for 14-21 days for early Lyme disease). If that doesn't work (or your doctor is not responsive), call the researchers who are investigating the link between spirochete illness and your symptoms -- ask them if any kind of treatment has been shown to work, even if in just one patient. They may also have other recommendations.

You can find them at the University of New Haven, CT:

http://www.newhaven.edu/586934.pdf

Last edited by west seattle gal; 09-27-2013 at 01:22 PM..

Old 10-31-2013, 08:52 PM

812 posts, read 919,848 times
I thought Morgellons right away, too.

Look into Dr. Klinghardt... he treats Lyme and Morgellons. He publishes his protocols online for people to read.

You are not crazy. You do not need a psychiatrist. You definitely have something going on here.

I hope you post again about your progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness