U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 09:33 PM

4,827 posts, read 6,928,029 times

Advertisements

Almost every night before bed, I've been taking 600-800mg of Motrin/Ibuprofen. I have neuropathy and I take it to try and get rid of the pain (it mainly just helps me to fall asleep). I don't want to take Lyrica or any of the other meds for nerve damage because of the side effects.

My question is, is it dangerous to do this? I don't take it "every" night but probably at least 5 nights a week. I can't take Tylenol (it gives me a headache) and I can't take aspirin (it gives me hallucinations).

Is it dangerous to take Motrin/Ibuprofen on a regular basis like this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 09:35 PM

42,204 posts, read 49,740,662 times
Yes.

NSAIDs are a major cause of GI bleeding in this country.

Stop this.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:49 PM

5,843 posts, read 8,423,141 times
You could end up with Barretts Esophagas like I did, because I was taking advil so much. Its a pre cancerous condition of the esophagas, and the acid reflux you may have at night along with the meds can damage the cells in your throat. Please discuss this with your doctor and find another solution.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:53 PM

4,827 posts, read 6,928,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
You could end up with Barretts Esophagas like I did, because I was taking advil so much. Its a pre cancerous condition of the esophagas, and the acid reflux you may have at night along with the meds can damage the cells in your throat. Please discuss this with your doctor and find another solution.

I no longer have health coverage and the wonderful "Obamacare" is out of reach (financially) for me. I also don't qualify for medicaid.

I can't afford to go to the doc and I definitely can't afford all the bloodwork I need ($800 or more). The so-called "low cost clinic" charges a lot and they no longer do "sliding scale fees"

I have to find a way to get rid of the pain or at least a way to sleep at night.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:56 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,025,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I no longer have health coverage and the wonderful "Obamacare" is out of reach (financially) for me. I also don't qualify for medicaid.

I can't afford to go to the doc and I definitely can't afford all the bloodwork I need ($800 or more). The so-called "low cost clinic" charges a lot and they no longer do "sliding scale fees"

I have to find a way to get rid of the pain or at least a way to sleep at night.
Try sleeping with a good old fashioned heating pad

Old 10-03-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes.

NSAIDs are a major cause of GI bleeding in this country.

Stop this.
Question - how long would the average person have to have been taking this amount of ibuprofen regularly at bedtime for there to be potential issues? A month? A year?

Old 10-03-2013, 09:58 PM

38,673 posts, read 45,016,991 times
While the typical dose is two 200mg tablets (400mg), doctors will often recommend up to four 200mg tablets (800mg) in times of severe muscular cramping or pain.

If you do take 800mg of Ibuprofen, be sure not to exceed a dosage of 1600mg in any 24-hour period, and it would be unwise to continue taking Ibuprofen at this level for more than 3-5 days.
How many ibuprofen tablets can you take

I would suggest you read this Mayo Clinic report on the amount you should take and at the bottom of the page click on the precaution button as it tells about the bad side effects that may occur.
Ibuprofen (Oral Route): Proper use - MayoClinic.com

Old 10-03-2013, 10:12 PM

6,233 posts, read 18,119,501 times
My mom was prescribed 800mg of ibuprofen after surgery. I think the biggest risk is in someone taking them long-term without disruption. It doesn't sound like you take them 365/24/7. As long as you give your body time to flush them out you'll probably be fine but if you notice any stomach upset you might want to cut the dose. And drink lots of water.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:15 PM

42,204 posts, read 49,740,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Question - how long would the average person have to have been taking this amount of ibuprofen regularly at bedtime for there to be potential issues? A month? A year?
It will differ from person to person, but given up to 40% of GI bleeding is caused by NSAID use (use, not abuse), any chronic use (especially unmonitored) is inadvisable. Plus we do not know what comorbidities the op has, other habits (drinking, etc).

Also 800 of ibuprofen is kind of a pointless dose - diminished returns on pain control vs GI bleed risk.

If op is opposed to researching more holistic approaches to chronic pain control, I personally would pick lyrica over chronic NSAIDs.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It will differ from person to person, but given up to 40% of GI bleeding is caused by NSAID use (use, not abuse), any chronic use (especially unmonitored) is inadvisable. Plus we do not know what comorbidities the op has, other habits (drinking, etc).

Also 800 of ibuprofen is kind of a pointless dose - diminished returns on pain control vs GI bleed risk.

If op is opposed to researching more holistic approaches to chronic pain control, I personally would pick lyrica over chronic NSAIDs.
Good to know, thanks

I do get relief by taking 1000 mg at bedtime - but have only been doing it a short time (helps me sleep without the pain waking me up). Will discuss this with my doctor at my yearly physical in a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness