Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 09:21 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times

Advertisements

There is no treatment for mono, and it's no good to take antibiotics for no real reason. I have mono at age 15 and again at 49. All you can do is rest, and you have to rest. Besides massive fatigue, the symptoms are swollen glands (very hard to to swallow), sometimes headache and aches, but nothing like a cold. Mono can be diagnosed with a blood test, although many docs are still mistaken that it can't be mono if you're older- believe me, it can, and my doctor had to learn that when I was 49.

I have a very good doctor and she certainly knew that there was no antibiotic treatment for mono, be it teenage or adult. Please do some research and don't dose yourself with unnecessary antibiotics. If I am wrong about that, please tell me, but I think I did my research and have good docs. Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 10:43 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
You could also have Epstein Barr. While there is no drug to "cure" there are treatments that include supplements, diet, lifestyle changes etc.

I suggest you do go to the Dr. to have testing done.
Mono is Epstein Barr.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:26 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,754,991 times
THANK YOU Brightdoglover, FINALLY a post with some relevance. I just happen to be 49 as well.

I don't have the swollen glands and the sore throat was for the first day. The sinus stuffiness just won't go away. It's tight, packed, not runny. OTC meds relieve the pressure somewhat. I am trying to rest as much as possible. I get feeling better towards the end of the week, then the weekly trip into town for groceries set me back and it's lather, rinse and repeat. 12 weeks now.

How long did it keep you down?

Old 10-14-2013, 11:34 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Are you sure you're over 50. After all, you're using the phrase "Really?" after the question. Souns more like a teenaged troll.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:49 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
THANK YOU Brightdoglover, FINALLY a post with some relevance. I just happen to be 49 as well.

I don't have the swollen glands and the sore throat was for the first day. The sinus stuffiness just won't go away. It's tight, packed, not runny. OTC meds relieve the pressure somewhat. I am trying to rest as much as possible. I get feeling better towards the end of the week, then the weekly trip into town for groceries set me back and it's lather, rinse and repeat. 12 weeks now.

How long did it keep you down?
Sounds like sinus problem to me. If the OTC meds help you should keep taking them until that stuffiness goes away. I take Mucinex-D round the clock for my stuffy nose. It helps open those passageways up so I can breathe easier! If you don't take care of a sinus problem it could go on for 12 weeks and eventually make you feel weak. I usually go to the doctor before it gets that severe but I know enough about my problem not to let it get that bad. I used to get as ill as you describe on a yearly, if not bi-yearly basis. I quit smoking, and don't get that sick anymore but I still have to take that decongestant or everything dries up. I'm allergic to cats and have 3, so it's the price I pay!

Old 10-14-2013, 03:36 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
So you didn't go to be checked, yet you're taking amoxicillin?? So you did see a healthcare provider? Many things can cause your symptoms; that these have lasted so long points to something else.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:42 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,754,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Are you sure you're over 50. After all, you're using the phrase "Really?" after the question. Sounds more like a teenaged troll.
OMG BG, thank you! And I look like I'm 35, too. I don't think many teenagers can spell as well as we can, they can't even write cursive anymore!
Seriously, I'm a young hag, DH is 64, yep, I was just past jail bait when we met

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Sounds like sinus problem to me. If the OTC meds help you should keep taking them until that stuffiness goes away. I take Mucinex-D round the clock for my stuffy nose. It helps open those passageways up so I can breathe easier! If you don't take care of a sinus problem it could go on for 12 weeks and eventually make you feel weak. I usually go to the doctor before it gets that severe but I know enough about my problem not to let it get that bad. I used to get as ill as you describe on a yearly, if not bi-yearly basis. I quit smoking, and don't get that sick anymore but I still have to take that decongestant or everything dries up. I'm allergic to cats and have 3, so it's the price I pay!
myrc, the mucinex isn't really working, there's no runniness just stuck blocked up. I'm not having trouble breathing, it's mainly a post nasal drip constant swallowing type dealio. And I quit smoking a month ago, go me! We are down to 7 cats now, at my all time high we had 22. (ten acres and a big barn, but we still had 14 in the house at one point, we wuvs our kitty children.)

Thanks for your replies, folks, keep them coming. I am adding grapefruit seed extract and another round of olive leaf extract in addition to the antibiotics. I'm leaning to a chronic sinusitis thing at the moment. Pretty sure it's not Lyme disease (no fever, thankfully)

Old 10-14-2013, 04:56 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
I had mono as an adult in my 30's and it was hell. It came on fast (was not like a cold at all) and my neck glands were so swollen that I looked like Frankenstein. My spleen hurt so much I could sleep on that side and taking a shower and getting dressed wore me out for the day. For a while there I couldn't even get from the bedroom to the living room so was stuck in my room. Food completely turned my stomach.

A doctor doesn't have to be good to diagnose mono, it's a simple blood test.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:48 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I don't remember sinus/cold sx being part of my mono. Both times (ages 15 and 49) I had significant swollen glands, low-grade fever/headache and unceasing fatigue. I can't say how long I was down and out, because it was a progression. For instance, I got tested in December for liver problems, HIV, anemia, all the fatigue stuff- but didn't get dx with mono until the following spring. I was home from work for about six weeks and still tired when I went back. No appetite except for soup (craved tomato for some reason). Just exhaustion, just walking across the room to let the dogs out was an effort.

Also, when I was 39, I had something like mono only more severe. Never got diagnosed because I had just started having a health plan (instead of traditional BC/BS) and got an appointment to get started that was two months out, didn't know enough to insist on being seen sooner, and my thought processes were so impaired, I didn't think to insist. Along with the usual mono stuff, I had a tender spleen, large bruises on my thighs that looked like a beating (and weren't sore), chills, zero appetite, headache, stunning exhaustion. I had trouble walking up one flight of steps to my apartment. I couldn't think. Just nibbled a piece of bread and slept with chills for 15 hours. I am sure it was a severe form of mono, but by the time I was seen, the only signs left were the fading bruises on my thighs and a 20lb wt. loss. I was tested then for all the big things and the only thing off was my clotting time.

My doctor is clear that there is no such thing as chronic mono, but she admits that my ongoing fatigue and swollen glands when run down are mysterious. There is nothing major wrong with me (multiple tests) and I do chalk it up to some sort of, if not chronic mono, something close to it and dormant until I get run down. I work third shift and have done so for some 23 years and it's worn me out. I just went to part-time and find I do feel better but am sleeping some 12-15 hours a day, like a detoxification from full-time nights. A recent complete medical workup (cardiac, upper GI, etc.) showed me in perfect health at 60. My fatigue is a bit of a mystery, but I'd be willing to blame a lot on the stress of a stressful job and shiftwork.

In summation, it is an urban legend that you only get mono as a teenager/20s. It's always available and I'm proof and had to prove it to my doc.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:57 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
OMG BG, thank you! And I look like I'm 35, too. I don't think many teenagers can spell as well as we can, they can't even write cursive anymore!
Seriously, I'm a young hag, DH is 64, yep, I was just past jail bait when we met

myrc, the mucinex isn't really working, there's no runniness just stuck blocked up. I'm not having trouble breathing, it's mainly a post nasal drip constant swallowing type dealio. And I quit smoking a month ago, go me! We are down to 7 cats now, at my all time high we had 22. (ten acres and a big barn, but we still had 14 in the house at one point, we wuvs our kitty children.)

Thanks for your replies, folks, keep them coming. I am adding grapefruit seed extract and another round of olive leaf extract in addition to the antibiotics. I'm leaning to a chronic sinusitis thing at the moment. Pretty sure it's not Lyme disease (no fever, thankfully)
I have always had cats and as an adult my allergy to them has been severe. There are other allergens that bother me but they are the #1 source of my discomfort. Indoor heating is another. If you've started heating your home for the winter you might benefit from a humidifier. You can also put a pot of water on the stove to boil to add moisture to the air. Hope you find something that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness