Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 11:03 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,194,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
My last blood test revealed I was very deficient in B-12...my doctor has me coming in every 3months for a B-12 shot...My doctor doesn't charge me for the shot because I pay $1800 yearly for a concierge plan...so there would be no motive in having me get them...
Thanks to intestinal problems, I do not absorb it from foods and have to supply it to myself as a suppliment. I used to get the shots monthly and it was rolly coaster time. Huge energy at the start, dead tired by the end of the month. What I do now is take the sublingual tablets, 5000 mcg. What I discovered when doing some research is the effectiveness of it depends on the type of processing. The stuff you find in walmart won't help as much as its harder to absorb. I use methyl cobalsmin processed formula now and it seems to work much better. The only difference I see is it disolves under the tounge slower.

If you are deficent in B-12 you'll find you feel much better in a lot of ways with a sufficent amount. Its not just lack of energy but things like cramping in your feet and toes, especially if they get cold. If you find a big boost in things at the beginning and it wears out by the end of the month you might consider the tablets as they tend to keep you more even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 09:16 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,606,793 times
It's a scam. You can see if you feel better by purchasing quality (Solgar) vitamin B 100 complete supplements and see how you feel. It's important to purchase vitamin B complete, which means there's equal amounts of vitamin B in the capsule. Getting equal amounts of vitamin are necessary for absorption. I notice a difference after taking them - I have no snack attacks, no desire for sugar and it sometimes even feels like I've taken a valium. Love vitamin B!

Old 04-26-2015, 10:12 PM

5 posts, read 6,048 times
I have been on B12 shots for years due to Crohn's disease but have always hated needles. I have tried over the counter and sublingual vitamins but they have no effect. Apparently they do not work, according to my doctor, if you don't have intrinsic factor or IBS type issues with B12 absorption--thats why I have to get the shot. Just recently started taking a new product my doctor prescribed called Eligen B12. Its a small tablet I take instead of the injection and my doctor told me it will have exactly the same effect as my IM--my blood levels have been the same as they were with my B12 shots since taking Eligen (had my first test last week)--so I am off the needle after years of looking for another way to take B12.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:25 PM

22,620 posts, read 24,446,970 times
I eat liver and other nastiness on a regular basis, YUMMMM!

Last time I was tested, my B12 was at the high-end of the normal scale.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:43 PM

7,120 posts, read 8,617,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Irishiis...do you notice any real benefit from the shot?

Teddy, you said "scam!" Why? Need cites. Cite-less opinions don't count.
I can't say I have noticed any drastic improvements...I did notice a big difference from a much needed increase in my thyroid medicine...as far a mental clarity,energy etc. ...

Old 04-27-2015, 05:22 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,778,550 times
My last panel of bloodwork showed that I was B-12 deficient. My doctor wanted me to get an injection each week for four weeks and then once a month thereafter. I asked what the cost would be in her office and was told $53 per shot. Couldn't afford that if Medicare wasn't going to cover it. Found a lab in town where I can get the same shot at the cost of $35 for 4 shots. I started last Thursday. She told me that if my levels are really low, it might take a month to notice a different.

My Vitamin D levels are deficient as well, and I am also working to get those back up. I think the daily pain I feel will improve when that happens.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:27 AM

5 posts, read 6,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
My last panel of bloodwork showed that I was B-12 deficient. My doctor wanted me to get an injection each week for four weeks and then once a month thereafter. I asked what the cost would be in her office and was told $53 per shot. Couldn't afford that if Medicare wasn't going to cover it. Found a lab in town where I can get the same shot at the cost of $35 for 4 shots. I started last Thursday. She told me that if my levels are really low, it might take a month to notice a different.

My Vitamin D levels are deficient as well, and I am also working to get those back up. I think the daily pain I feel will improve when that happens.
Photogal, if you don't want to have to get shots, which I hate as I mentioned in my post above, the Eligen prescription my doc gives me costs $49 a month cash at Target pharmacy, and my Walmart pharmacy told me they will match that price (and you can take it from home rather than go to the lab).

Old 05-05-2015, 02:56 AM

10,927 posts, read 5,899,635 times
Quote:
I meant to ask about them just out of curiosity, but forgot.
A sure sign you need them.

As far as I can make out, our modern diet causes a problem with B12 formation and absorption.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:34 PM

9,510 posts, read 16,428,805 times
I just started B-12 injections last week. The Doctor has me down for 1 a month for 6 months. Then I will be tested to see if my level has improved. I'm told I am deficient in B-12 due to long term use of Diabetic Meds. Evidently the drug Metformin can cause this deficiency.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:29 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,761,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
My last blood test revealed I was very deficient in B-12...my doctor has me coming in every 3months for a B-12 shot...My doctor doesn't charge me for the shot because I pay $1800 yearly for a concierge plan...so there would be no motive in having me get them...
So tell us, do you feel better after getting the shots?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness