Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 08:16 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times

Advertisements

I don't know what to say. Scarring? Can they do something?

All their money goes to there dying daughter for years, so
they don't have insurance for themselves, or maybe they have like $7000
deductable... Always pay cash.
She says it makes sense bec of her daughter that she would have it
manifest in her heart. Sure, but so what?

What can convince her she needs to see a doctor?

Details:
3 am she had sharp pain, thought, typically, it was indigestion.
Took aspirin and tums, while asking her husband..."Do you see the light in the room?"
No.
"Do you hear that sound like a helicopter could land?" No.

She had one slice of pizza 11 hrs earlier with onions on it.
Husb, had no indigestion, of course.
Her father had his first heart attack at 50, she is a high strung NY Italian, 56.
She is a slender vegetarian for decades, no smoking, very little red wine.
Doesn't know what caused dad's heart problems, finding out.
Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 08:24 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,010,807 times
have her sign up for the health care act, it goes into effect in jan.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:25 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Tell her she's of absolutely NO USE to her dying daughter if she, herself, dies.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:35 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I don't know what to say. Scarring? Can they do something?

All their money goes to there dying daughter for years, so
they don't have insurance for themselves, or maybe they have like $7000
deductable... Always pay cash.
She says it makes sense bec of her daughter that she would have it
manifest in her heart. Sure, but so what?

What can convince her she needs to see a doctor?

Details:
3 am she had sharp pain, thought, typically, it was indigestion.
Took aspirin and tums, while asking her husband..."Do you see the light in the room?"
No.
"Do you hear that sound like a helicopter could land?" No.

She had one slice of pizza 11 hrs earlier with onions on it.
Husb, had no indigestion, of course.
Her father had his first heart attack at 50, she is a high strung NY Italian, 56.
She is a slender vegetarian for decades, no smoking, very little red wine.
Doesn't know what caused dad's heart problems, finding out.
Thanx
So their "dying daughter" has been dying for YEARS? Sounds like they have been scammed by their own daughter.

It sounds to me more like a TIA or "mini stroke". Typically, seeing lights and hearing sounds are not a symptom of a heart attack, but can be symptoms of strokes.

Since she is a vegetarian (and obvously health conscious), you might suggest to her to see a good naturopathic practitioner for evaluation. It will cost a fraction of what a medical doctor would charge and she will not be subjected to the possibility of receiving thousands of dollars of useless medication and treatment.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-19-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Tell her she's of absolutely NO USE to her dying
daughter if she, herself, dies.
Her daughter begs her not to visit her now, ha...and never come to the hosp when in there.
(Not that they don't love each other.)
I need some medical reason.

But I understand what you're saying, thanks, Dale.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:41 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,086,761 times
A good reason to see a doctor would be to figure out exactly what's going on and what to do to prevent a serious occurrance. Left by itself, the problem could become worse and end up causing a very expensive hospital stay. It doesn't make sense to be "penny wise, pound foolish."

Old 10-19-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
A good reason to see a doctor would be to figure out exactly what's going on and what to do to prevent a serious occurrance. Left by itself, the problem could become worse and end up causing a very expensive hospital stay. It doesn't make sense to be "penny wise, pound foolish."
Omg, that's perfect! An expensive hospital stay!!!
Xxxxxoooo

Old 10-19-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
So their "dying daughter" has been dying for YEARS?
Sounds like they have been scammed by their own daughter.
20yrsinBranson
Branson, I do believe that is the most insensitive thing I have ever read.
(Esp with absolutely no information.)
But, I really appreciate the heads up about strokes and thus, will
look that up...with the severe pain in the chest , none of us thought 'stroke'.
Thanks
--------
Searched, turns out there is chest pain with a stroke...then light and sound sensitivity
may happen. No, roaring sound or a room full of sparkly lights. But thanks, I learned some stuff.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 10-19-2013 at 10:04 AM..

Old 10-19-2013, 10:16 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
I think I read recently that women tend to ignore heart attacks more than men because they feel only men get them, and consequently they end up with more damage or they even die.

I had a heart attack at 42. My Wife and I were at a nightclub where my Sons were playing and as I was standing there I got what I thought was indigestion pain in my chest. I started looking for a waitress to get some ginger ale to relieve it and my Wife (now my ex) asked me what was going on. I told her I had some indigestion but because she is an RN she looked strangely at me and asked if I was ok, and I assured her it was nothing.

A few minutes later the pain came back and she asked if my left arm was hurting, and it was, so she forced me to to to the ER, where they determined it was a heart attack. Because of her pushing me to get there quickly, and they got medicine in me to break up the clot, I had minimal damage. The next morning I underwent angioplasty and have been fine for the past 26 years (knock on wood )

So, I owe my ex Wife a big thanks for saving my life, and I would suggest you really push your friend to get looked at. Lots of people who ignore these symptoms could be saved if they would have just gotten help.

Don

Old 10-19-2013, 10:33 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Does she monitor her blood pressure? If it remained relatively stable, it was probably not a heart attack. If she had gone to the ER, they would have given her a handful of aspirins and run about $100K worth of tests and kept her in intensive care overnight.

In any case, even if she does not go to a doctor, she should be taking 81mg aspirin every day, to reduce the risk of TIA.

If her symptoms all subsided by the next day, it is probably nothing to worry about. She should check her BP when she goes to the drug store (of buy a monitor for about $25) and have her cholesterol checked someday when they're having a health fair at the mall.

If she doesn't want to go to a doctor, that's her business and she will resent being badgered. But it won't hurt to make common sense suggestions about monitoring her health indicators, at her age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness