Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2013, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,116 times

Advertisements

My fiance has PVD in his left leg and needed a bypass due to severe blockage. He had this surgery the middle of September with an artificial graft. He now has extreme pain in his calf, thigh and sometimes groin. This happens periodically 24/7. Sometimes it's one or the other, other times it's all of them at once. He isn't getting good sleep, not wanting to eat and does not want to walk much. The walking makes the pain worse. We have seen his vascular surgeon and all tests say it was a success, but the doctor doesn't understand why he is having pain and can offer nothing for it. We have tried anti-inflammatory drugs but at the level he needs to just lower the pain causes severe stomach upset. He is already on meds for that. Any one else with vascular surgery with continuing pain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 758 times
I posted a lengthier response on another thread and it has become obvious now that vein removal for the bypass is causing leg pain after effects in a lot of people if that is what you are referring to.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:32 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Any kind of surgery can cause nerve damage. If the pain is burning or stabbing and it comes and goes and shows up in different places or feels like bugs crawling on the leg, that could be neuropathy. I had surgery on my leg 6 years ago and had pain like that, but they could never figure out anything for it other than taking 800mg of advil, which I can't do all the time, and sometimes they acted like I was making it up to try to get pain pills, which I didn't even want. When I was diagnosed with diabetes (which is a common cause of neuropathy), I told my doctor about the pain in my leg and she prescribed gabapentin, which has worked really well for me. I was sleepy the first week that I took it, but able to function well after that. I've taken it for more than a year and the initial dose I started with is still sufficient for the pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness