Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 07:28 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times

Advertisements

I'm an overall healthy female in her 30s. I know I should lose weight though. For the past maybe yr & a 1/2, I've had nasal congestion. Now I've never had sinus problems/allergies, etc. before that I know of. I won't have a cold, but when I take air into my nose, it's quite congested. This morning, something just doesn't feel right. I almost, almost have to breathe with my mouth open!

I blew my nose & will do it again, but what the heck is going on here?! I don't have health insurance these days! I HATE this congested feeling! My sinuses are pretty good at certain times though.

What can I do at home to help with this? Any other comments, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 07:38 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,738,135 times
Use saline spray or a netti pot to clear out your congestion, also steamy showers or put a towel over a pot of water on the stove creating a steam tent to loosen up the congestion. You can also use Sudafed the real stuff behind the counter at the pharmacy it may make you feel a little spacey so just be careful. If you can afford a Dr. visit prescription Nasonex will help with the swollen nasal passages that are making it difficult to breathe through your nose. I suffer regularly so I feel your pain good luck!

Old 11-07-2013, 08:09 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
A simple drug store brand saline nasal spray should help.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-07-2013, 08:51 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Use the saline spray/neti pot daily! Works like a charm. BTW you can develop allergies at any point in your life.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:56 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
Where does one get a neti pot? At the regular store, like Target or Walmart OR online?

Old 11-07-2013, 01:23 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
Any one of those stores will have neti pots! I am suffering now with heavy congestion. I'm using Mucinex D and Claritin and a saline spray. If you are congested and nothing is coming out you may need to go to the doctor. If you are low income and uninsured, you might find a low cost clinic in your area. I am all of the above!

Old 11-07-2013, 06:12 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Yes allergies can come at any time. Might be a glutton allergy starting. Have an allerist check you out
My doc told me to use the Neti-Rinse bottle, that it was more effective than the netti-pot, and not as messy. He added that if I add a few drops (6) of baby shampoo into the bottle and using warm water it would work best. I did exactly what he said found that to be true, no mess and with the plastic bottle you can squeeze as much pressure as you want to clean out those sinuses. I was surprised how well that works.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,433 times
I usually don't add to these forums, just read them, because I didn't have any great advice to offer myself. I have suffered for a long time with chronic allergies and congestion. A few months ago I found my miracle drug, Capsaicin. It's a cream for arthritis but it comes from a chili pepper.

I didn't really know how great it was until I applied it to the right area. When I put it right under my nose, it really cleaned up my passageways, almost immediately. Further, the increased oxygen flow has helped relieve many areas on the right side of my body - it was the right nostril that was always clogged up.

You can get Capsaicin at your local CVS and it's not that expensive. I've tried using it all different places, but be careful about getting too close to the eye and mucus membranes, it is a chili pepper after all! I hope this helps you or anyone reading this.

Jason

Old 11-18-2014, 11:14 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalas2162 View Post
I usually don't add to these forums, just read them, because I didn't have any great advice to offer myself. I have suffered for a long time with chronic allergies and congestion. A few months ago I found my miracle drug, Capsaicin. It's a cream for arthritis but it comes from a chili pepper.

I didn't really know how great it was until I applied it to the right area. When I put it right under my nose, it really cleaned up my passageways, almost immediately. Further, the increased oxygen flow has helped relieve many areas on the right side of my body - it was the right nostril that was always clogged up.

You can get Capsaicin at your local CVS and it's not that expensive. I've tried using it all different places, but be careful about getting too close to the eye and mucus membranes, it is a chili pepper after all! I hope this helps you or anyone reading this.

Jason
I use a nasal spray called Sinus Plumber...it has cayenne pepper and horseradish in there..I was desperate so I tried it..At the beginning it will knock your socks off but really clears up the sinuses and makes me feel much better... It is pretty strong though!!!

Old 11-18-2014, 10:43 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
I use a nasal spray called Sinus Plumber...it has cayenne pepper and horseradish in there..I was desperate so I tried it..At the beginning it will knock your socks off but really clears up the sinuses and makes me feel much better... It is pretty strong though!!!

ha ha, my late Dad used to say that horseradish is great for clearing the sinus. I guess he was right !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness