U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 09:11 AM

624 posts, read 1,581,192 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard of or has success with treating macular degeneration with aloe vera. Specifically drinking aloe juice or gel?
Thank you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 05:20 AM

13,263 posts, read 31,610,086 times
I've only heard of it from companies that sell aloe vera or that advertise for manufacturers of aloe vera. I haven't heard of, or read, any actual medical source (a peer journal, science magazine, doctor, nurse practitioner, article, FDA news, editorial by a physician, etc) suggesting that drinking aloe had any use whatsoever on macular degeneration. I've also never heard of anyone that I know of personally, who has ever recommended it, or used it themselves, for anything other than soothing sunburns by applying it directly to the affected skin.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:13 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,127,003 times
PM Jasper she knows her stuff & is usually helpful

Old 11-24-2013, 09:26 PM

18,856 posts, read 27,827,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
PM Jasper she knows her stuff & is usually helpful
Thank you for the kudo! No, there is no cure for ARMD. There have been studies that AREDs can make a slight difference, and definitely shots for wet ARMD, but no cure for dry ARMD. And stay away from putting any non sterile things in your eyes! The last thing you need is an infection!

See an optometrist or ophthalmologist, and do seek low vision therapists or blind rehabilitation for assistance. Start with local agency for blind. Good luck!

Old Today, 10:28 AM

7,100 posts, read 2,216,016 times
I know this is an old post, BUT I was about to post on macular degeneration and the gallbladder. This link I'm posting is informative and good to know...no wants macular degeneration.

Best Kept Secrets to Prevent, Halt, or Even Reverse Macular

There is a major connection with gallbladder and macular. I know many do get GB removed which finds one needing more help. Supports like bile acids are discussed and I'm glad to be in my 2nd month of taking bile acids and enjoying quality BM's...and trust grape seed ex is supporting all eye health.

Last edited by jaminhealth; Today at 11:00 AM..

Old Today, 12:35 PM

30,391 posts, read 34,184,517 times
Modern scientific methods can hold macular degeneration off but cannot reverse it once it starts.
I get monthly shots of a drug called Avastin and it works very well at holding back macular degeneration
Getting the shots isnt something i look forward to but its painless and the alternative is not appealing..
As for drinking Aloe Vera? the problem is if it does nothing and your condition continues to deteriorate modern medicine can only halt the degeneration at the point you start the treatment..

Some reading on the issue =Three New Techniques for Treating Age-Related Macular Degeneration - AccessWorld® - January 2014

Fortunately i have one of Canadas premier eye centers close by =
https://muhc.ca/glen/page/mcgill-academic-eye-centre

Old Today, 08:42 PM

4,235 posts, read 6,023,924 times
I gave a friend who has MD and swears by those eye vitamins, she's 88 and her MD has progressed very slowly (still dry) and she attributes it to the vitamins. Don't know if they help or not but she thinks so.

Old Today, 08:45 PM

2,095 posts, read 707,510 times
Ive had dry macD since I was 32. 30 years. The drusen on my macula have not accelerated, so I can still see. My central vision does have lots of big black blotches.

I can live with this - wet MacD is what I dread. Praying this does not happen to me.

There really isn't any treatment for dry MacD. I think you can have laser treatments for wet MacD, dunno.

Old Today, 09:30 PM

3,963 posts, read 6,007,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I gave a friend who has MD and swears by those eye vitamins, she's 88 and her MD has progressed very slowly (still dry) and she attributes it to the vitamins. Don't know if they help or not but she thinks so.

First diagnosed with dry MD at age 63, 10 or 12 small fuzzy spots. Ophthalmologist said to start OTC eye vitamin. Taking them 10 years now at age 73, with annual exams, no new spots. Check them occasionally with Amsler grid. Cheap enough, and if they don't help, they don't hurt either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness