Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 10:04 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

Around 8 every night i start nodding. I can barely make it through a TV show or reading. If I indulge myself and "go take a nap" I am ruined for the rest of the night- usually getting up around 11, poking around on the computer and getting back in bed around 1 or 2. I used to feel so guilty about this. I have to get up at 6 which gives me 3-4 hours the second sleep. Now I see why I'm like this. I'm not gonna fight it anymore.
The 8-Hour Sleep Myth: How I Learned That Everything I Knew About Sleep Was Wrong | Alternet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 11:54 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Fascinating article. Explains a lot of mid-night awakening. Thanks for posting.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:32 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Around 8 every night i start nodding. I can barely make it through a TV show or reading. If I indulge myself and "go take a nap" I am ruined for the rest of the night- usually getting up around 11, poking around on the computer and getting back in bed around 1 or 2. I used to feel so guilty about this. I have to get up at 6 which gives me 3-4 hours the second sleep. Now I see why I'm like this. I'm not gonna fight it anymore.
The 8-Hour Sleep Myth: How I Learned That Everything I Knew About Sleep Was Wrong | Alternet

Are you getting a "sleeping pill" from your lovey poo?

Old 11-21-2013, 10:32 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
no --"lovie poo" is sound asleep. After 37 years of marriage we decided to have separate bedrooms. I snore, snot and cough and flip all around and wake up to use the bathroom, get water, piddle on the computer and he snores and coughs and farts early in the morning just when I'm getting back to sleep. Since we took separate rooms it has been much better for both of us. there is nothing quite as bad and laying still in the bed and not being able to sleep but not wanting to disturb your bed partner.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:32 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Heh when my hubby starts snoring loudly enough to wake me in the morning, I just kick his calf. It makes him turn on his side, and the snoring is gone. He only snores when he's laying on his back.

He used to keep me awake at night at bedtime, because he falls asleep in moments and I lay awake kicking him for hours until he finally settles onto his side long enough for me to fall asleep. But since I started taking Ambien, I'm out before he is, and am oblivious to the noise til morning.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:08 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
After 37 years of marriage we decided to have separate bedrooms.Since we took separate rooms it has been much better for both of us..
You're not alone:

Sleep Study Reveals That 30-40 Percent Of Couples Sleep Apart

Old 11-21-2013, 12:16 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,903 times
Snoring can be serious though. Sleep apnea. Sleep studies can confirm this. The solution isn't much better though in many cases, the CPAP is no fun.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:18 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
. But since I started taking Ambien, I'm out before he is, and am oblivious to the noise til morning.
Ambien can be very dangerous. You can sleep walk or even worse sleep drive. If you wake up or appear to be awake you may sound/act drunk. I would advise you to talk to your MD and get off Ambien. Trust me I have been there.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:35 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Ambien can be very dangerous. You can sleep walk or even worse sleep drive. If you wake up or appear to be awake you may sound/act drunk. I would advise you to talk to your MD and get off Ambien. Trust me I have been there.
I've been taking it nightly for over six years. It -can- be dangerous for some people - there are serious, but UNcommon side effects including sleepwalking/eating/driving/sex. I've never had any adverse reactions or side effects with it, and I haven't grown any more tolerance to it than I had when I first upped the dose to a full 10mg every night, four years ago.

Just because you had a bad experience with something, doesn't mean that something is bad. It's proven to be helpful for some people. And it's proven to not be helpful for others. I am one of the former, you are one of the latter. Nothing you can't discover in the patient information package or from your local pharmacist.

As for the actual topic - I need a minimum of 6 hours of sleep to function, and I am not capable of napping. If I fall asleep, I'm out for a minimum of 6 hours, because the medication makes me be out for a minimum of 6 hours. I -rarely- oversleep; I'm generally up around 7 hours after my head hits the pillow at night. I wake up feeling like I've actually slept, not totally refreshed, but refreshed enough to get up and out of bed and pet the cat and pour myself a cup of coffee

Old 11-22-2013, 07:37 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I've been taking it nightly for over six years. It -can- be dangerous for some people - there are serious, but UNcommon side effects including sleepwalking/eating/driving/sex. I've never had any adverse reactions or side effects with it, and I haven't grown any more tolerance to it than I had when I first upped the dose to a full 10mg every night, four years ago.

Just because you had a bad experience with something, doesn't mean that something is bad. It's proven to be helpful for some people. And it's proven to not be helpful for others. I am one of the former, you are one of the latter. Nothing you can't discover in the patient information package or from your local pharmacist.
You are right about the published info on this med. Everyone should read it and consider it seriously. The only side effect I have missed was the sex. That may be due to my age. Aside from myself I know of others who have had very scary side effects. I wish you the best with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness