Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 06:54 PM

187 posts, read 611,721 times

Advertisements

thank you everyone! its nice to hear people are praying for your family when you need it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 09:26 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,258,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurbell View Post
My Dad was recently put on a ventilator because he could not release enough CO2. How hard is it to come off. they had to sedate him cuz he is not in his right mind and combative due to the CO2 levels. SO its a catch 22 If they stop sedating him he will pull it out.
There's not enough information to guess anything; What is his diagnosis; All these things you need to discuss with the physicians in charge; the nurses won't in most cases go to deep with explanations; they'll just refer you back to the doctor. Another good person to catch is his respiratory therapist; they'll usually give you an idea how he's doing on the ventilator and explain about the Co2; they are the ones responsible for ventilator management and are the ones to wean him off when it's time. I'm concur with the person who questioned whether he was a COPD, there are many variables, but ask them to speak to the respiratory therapist that's assigned to him; they are usually more willing to take the time and talk to you. they get the orders from the docs, ask the nurse to page resp therapist for you, or catch them on the next time they make rounds that should be every 2-4-hrs in your dad's case.
May God Heal Him Speedily

Old 11-13-2011, 12:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,183 times
My mother has been in the hospital 1 week today. She was admitted last saturday when she came in the but a respirator in. on the third day they tired to remove it and she could'nt breathe on her own so they put it back in. Today on the seventh day they took it out and she was breathing well but her airway was swollen and closed so they put it in again. They had her on proponol (the same thing michael jackson died from) now, they put her on it again. she's so drugged up it's a wonder she can breathe. I wish I could take her home... She's 76

Old 11-13-2011, 10:49 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,295,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss gigi 2328 View Post
My mother has been in the hospital 1 week today. She was admitted last saturday when she came in the but a respirator in. on the third day they tired to remove it and she could'nt breathe on her own so they put it back in. Today on the seventh day they took it out and she was breathing well but her airway was swollen and closed so they put it in again. They had her on proponol (the same thing michael jackson died from) now, they put her on it again. she's so drugged up it's a wonder she can breathe. I wish I could take her home... She's 76
I'm very sorry your mom is so sick

I'm sending positive thoughts and a prayer your way.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:09 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,574,293 times
Propofol is a perfectly safe drug when used properly: in a hospital with medical help. I've had it several times for various procedures (colonoscopy for one) and it is a miracle; I woke up without that typical anesthesia fogginess.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,473 times
My sister has been on a vent for 5 days they have weaned her off and are removing it today. Is there a risk that she will choke while there doing it or is it painful? How long does it take to remove it?

Old 04-12-2014, 08:34 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,622,995 times
Having the tube taken out is not fun at all. Been there, done that. If you're awake when it happens, it feels like they're scraping your esophagus with large-grit sandpaper. Yes you feel a little "choking" sensation but they guide you through it and the whole process only takes a minute or so. After that, you feel like you have a ticklish sore throat DEEEP down starting at the very back of your throat and down to your lungs. That feeling fades within a couple of days.

It isn't "painful" in the way a broken leg or a 3rd degree burn or menstrual cramps or the soreness from a surgical wound is painful. It's more of an irritating kind of soreness. And like I said, the process only takes a couple of minutes and leaves you with a catch in your throat - the same feeling you get the day after you've been at a rock concert and screaming out the songs with the band for two hours.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:34 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,718,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Loveland View Post
My sister has been on a vent for 5 days they have weaned her off and are removing it today. Is there a risk that she will choke while there doing it or is it painful? How long does it take to remove it?
I was on a ventilator after surgery (I had pneumonia with no symptoms, and the chest x-ray and bloodwork before surgery didn't catch it). They kept me sedated until the tube was removed. When I first woke up, I just felt like I had been sleeping deeply and was a little cold. My throat was extremely sore but I was on pain meds because of the surgery so it only really hurt when it wore off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness