U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 04:51 AM

5,289 posts, read 4,347,451 times
Quote:
If I could find those fake plastic cigarettes you used to be able to "fake smoke" because it looked like one but it was just air, I think I'd totally be alright. But I can't find them anywhere so I hold pens and end up biting on the ends of them...doesn't work. I need help too!!!!!!
I remember those,my mom had one,unfortunately didn't work for her she died in 1993 of lung cancer at the age of 50. Hopefully I can quit some day myself I am 40 and the genetics thing scares me...you would think that would be enough motivation to quit but NOOO...as I type this and finish off another smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2006, 08:26 AM

3,022 posts, read 7,913,778 times
Bad accident. In hosptal for 40 days. Not allowed to smoke in hospital. Instant cure. Never craved a cigarette another day in my life. I had other worries at the time. As a matter of fact the smell of cigarette smoke really turns me off now. I know some X smokers say they still love the smell but it's not for me. I don't want to start any crap here but since they banned smoking in restaurants in New Jersey I find myself enjoying my meals much more when dinning out.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:34 AM

3,022 posts, read 7,913,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree66 View Post
I remember those,my mom had one,unfortunately didn't work for her she died in 1993 of lung cancer at the age of 50. Hopefully I can quit some day myself I am 40 and the genetics thing scares me...you would think that would be enough motivation to quit but NOOO...as I type this and finish off another smoke.
Lost 3 very close relatives (including my mother) to lung cancer. They all smoked since they were in their early teens. All dead in their early 60s'. I don't know about the genetic issue since my grandfather (mothers side) smoked till he was 85. Smoked non filtered Pall Malls as far back as I could remember and also drank a 4 ounce glass of Johnny Walker with a splash of water every evening. For your sake (and your families) please try to quit. As you know it's a horrible disease to deal with not to mention the cost. I generally don't believe in Voo-Doo medicine but I do have a couple of friends that quit through hypnotism, and one I believe through accupuncture. Maybe you should give it a try. Can't hurt! Good luck.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:54 AM

893 posts, read 1,664,139 times
I was also a weird smoker. I would hold the cigarette at arm's length because I couldn't stand the smoke or smell. I always drove with my windows down in the car/truck when I smoked. I did smoke in the house and didn't smell it though. Now if I go in a house with a smoker I always think wow did my house smell this bad too. I don't miss and even if I did I would never smoke because I have a child. I do crave a clove cigarette alot though. or those strawberry ?beadies? wrapped in leaves. do they still make those?

Old 10-31-2006, 01:46 AM

693 posts, read 2,143,426 times
I smoked two packs a day for 25 years. I tied to quit so many times! Then I was admitted to the hospital for a back surgery and decided that my wife would take my cigarettes away during surgery. I never went back to smoking...

Old 10-31-2006, 08:46 AM

207 posts, read 475,849 times
I can't tell you how HARD it is for me to quit smoking!
Maybe the problem is that I really enjoy a cigarette. That
being said, I KNOW how unhealthy it is and REALLY want ot stop. I've smoked for 30 years and have quit 4 times.
I'm beginning to feel like Mark Twain who said," Stopping
smoking is easy....I know...I've done it a THOUSAND times".

I've tried the gum, the patch, and Commit. I'd make it about 4 months, but that was about as long as I could take
the withdrawal symptoms. This weekend, I tried, Lazer Concept....it's helping, but I'm still fighting the urge!

The lazer really has helped lots of other people so I'm hoping I will soon be a non smoker! If you're interested in learning about it here's the url (http://www.laserconcept.com/)

Hope it goes thru......anyway. good luck to all the people trying to stop smoking......it is hard!

Old 10-31-2006, 09:09 AM

2,813 posts, read 9,275,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMuir View Post
I can't tell you how HARD it is for me to quit smoking!
Maybe the problem is that I really enjoy a cigarette. That
being said, I KNOW how unhealthy it is and REALLY want ot stop. I've smoked for 30 years and have quit 4 times.
I'm beginning to feel like Mark Twain who said," Stopping
smoking is easy....I know...I've done it a THOUSAND times".

I've tried the gum, the patch, and Commit. I'd make it about 4 months, but that was about as long as I could take
the withdrawal symptoms. This weekend, I tried, Lazer Concept....it's helping, but I'm still fighting the urge!

The lazer really has helped lots of other people so I'm hoping I will soon be a non smoker! If you're interested in learning about it here's the url (http://www.laserconcept.com/)

Hope it goes thru......anyway. good luck to all the people trying to stop smoking......it is hard!
It really is hard to quit. I had, like I said earlier, quit by taking advantage of illness when it struck which made smoking unpleasant, but then I'd always start up again after allowing myself "just one..." But I found another reason to never smoke again. I got pneumonia in May and my right lung filled completely up. I couldn't literally breathe and my left lung was filling up as well. I went to emergency and was immediately admitted. The next day I had a procedure where a tube is inserted through your back into your lung and it has a spigot on it, just like a wine keg or garden hose coming out of an outdoor house faucet. They drained almost a Boss of liquid out of my lung, that's one of those big party size coke plastic containers. I actually could feel the draining. It has taken MONTHS to get my breathing back to normal. After I got home, I was still coughing lung lining up. It looks like a bloody No-Pest Strip. It was the worst experience I've ever gone through and it made me realize that without being able to breathe correctly, nothing else can be done. It's really among the worst of things that can happen and I'm lucky to be alive. I have slowly regained my lung capacity, but even the thought of introducing any smoke into my lungs scares me to death.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:17 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 3,637,295 times
It appears that the most sucessful "quitters" have quit due to a situation. Alot of people who have quit, have found themselves back to smoking. I hope I can conquere this before I have a situation that is out of my control.
IT IS HARD !
I really appreciate everyone sharing thier stories !
Please keep them coming.
When we are ready (smokers), maybe we should all quit together ! Kinda be like a support group.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:26 AM

1,405 posts, read 3,259,827 times
Call your local hospital. Ask for a referral to somebody who can give you the written multiple choice test which helps you understand what kind of a smoker you are. The test will help you decide between the various methods and combinations. They'll also refer you to other people who can help once you quit. Clinical hypnosis can be extremely effective for quitting smoking. These days people often use a combination of a Group of quitters meeting regularly, some pharmaceutical and other stuff.

Nicotine is as addictive for many people as any other drug you can name, so expect withdrawal symptoms and choose appropriate tools to fight. Many people who have had multiple addictions will tell you smoking was the hardest to get through. John Coltrane went cold turkey from Heroin and never did manage to quite smoking.

You can do it. Really.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:59 PM

1,198 posts, read 359,179 times
I have never been a smoker, but I used to smoke 1 or 2 cigarettes when I used to go to the clubs. But I quit that about 2 years ago. When I go for a run/jog the next day I felt awful (just by 1-2 cigarettes the night before!!!). So I decided to not do that again when I go out on the weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness