U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-18-2006, 07:18 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 3,426,635 times
Default How did you stop smoking ?

I have been pondering asking this question all weekend, in fear of what may come.
I have smoked for a long time. I have quit 5 times, but always have something pull me back.
Please, no horror stories, as I hear them all the time.
I am not looking for lectures, or stories of horrific content.
I am curious on different methods people used to stop smoking.
I have used the patch and had an allergic reaction to it. Actually was carried out of work on a stretcher.
Did you give up smoking and pick up another habit? Like chewing gum, lifesavers ect.?
I do not smoke around non smokers. I smoke outside the house, and I won't smoke at someones house that does not smoke, unless they don't mind if I step outside.
I know it stinks. I realized that more recently when we moved and our packed clothes smelled like smoke. That is why I have become an outside smoker. And have done every bit of laundry we brought with us.

Again, please no horror stories.....just methods you used to quit. I WANT to quit, and I believe I am just about at the point of being ready. And I know that "I have to be ready" or it will be a miserable battle that wil affect everyone, and be useless.

Thanks in advanced for your helpful ideas !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-18-2006, 07:20 AM

2,314 posts
I used the gum. I found it helpful as when I felt the need to light one up I could just pop the gum in my mouth. I found it hard to concentrate for about 2 weeks.

i hope you can kick the habit. Good Luck to you!

Unread 10-18-2006, 07:29 AM

I have quit cold turkey on several occassions. Once when I was pregnant. No problem then. But the others were usually pressured upon me. Worked for a while, and then I would find myself sneaking them. Mostly what has drawn me back to cigs, has been stress.
The most recent time I quit. I was really proud of myself. I gave up everything. Went off anti-depressants (still off), gave up liquor completely, cigs and sugar. But with the stress of lawsuit over father estate, leaving my attorneys office, I had a strong urge for a drink. I figured a pack of cigs. would be better, because at that point, just one drink would of turned into many.

Unread 10-18-2006, 07:40 AM

10,010 posts, read 10,992,227 times
I used the patch, I smoked for ten years, my husband and I quit at the same time, the patch was the easiest and we didnt need it after 2 weeks, we have been smoke free for 11 years now!

Unread 10-18-2006, 08:01 AM

2,813 posts, read 8,706,663 times
I smoked all through the Navy and I remember once when I was in Europe years ago with a German buddy, we were partiers then in our early twenties and we were in northern Germany where we'd sleep all day and party and hit the discos all night meeting new girls and having a lot of fun. This one night we'd been to a party at a castle in Nordkirchen, drank a LOT of beer, got a wild hair, and made an abrupt decision around midnight that night to drive to Spain and go disco hopping (great dance music then with Thriller, Indeep's "Last Night a DJ Saved My Life", etc.!)! So...we did! We took turns driving and we smoked, smoked, smoked...I went through two full packs of regular Marlboros and was hoarse when I got to Benidorm about 20 hours later as we'd only stopped to get gas in France. I continued to smoke while on watch on my ship in the Navy. I was an electrician, so down in the engine rooms where it's hot you wile away the hours by standing under a ventilation blower and smoke while taking hourly readings. I kept smoking and then in 1993 I got mononucleosis and my throat closed up. I stopped smoking obviously with no problem and kept from smoking for years, then I purposely thought...let me just do one..big mistake. I started all over again. I finally stopped again cold turkey about 98, then started again in 2000, and then finally stopped last year by just stopping. I haven't smoked since November of last year, so it's nearly a year now. And, I haven't had any urges. For me the only thing that worked was cold turkey and determination. I actually am someone who LIKES to smoke. I enjoy the whole process, so I cannot allow myself even one if I'm going to stay smoke free. I've read that after two years being smoke free, one's lungs do a pretty good job of clearing themselves out. But I don't even think about smoking now for the most part and my house is nice and fresh

Last edited by MoMark; 10-18-2006 at 08:19 AM..

Unread 10-18-2006, 08:17 AM

5,287 posts, read 4,084,496 times
I've quit several times myself and started up again.I will try again,hopefully soon,I think when I try again I'm going to try the commit lozenger.
Tried the patch I liked it except at night I had horrible nighmares.

But you are right all it takes is 1 to restart.

Unread 10-18-2006, 08:19 AM

Congrats to all that were sucessful !!
The patch actually worked for me as well, until that episode.
My husband does not smoke and detests it.
I am also guilty of enjoying it.
Cold turkey has worked best for me in the past, but I know "I" have to be ready. And I agree, I'll just have one, is usually how it all starts again.
MoMark
"I got mononucleosis " wouldn't be from kissing all those girls in the discos, would it ?

Unread 10-18-2006, 08:21 AM

2,813 posts, read 8,706,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
Congrats to all that were sucessful !!
The patch actually worked for me as well, until that episode.
My husband does not smoke and detests it.
I am also guilty of enjoying it.
Cold turkey has worked best for me in the past, but I know "I" have to be ready. And I agree, I'll just have one, is usually how it all starts again.
MoMark
"I got mononucleosis " wouldn't be from kissing all those girls in the discos, would it ?
I don't know theqbaby... I was a pretty..."tactile" fellow back then

Unread 10-18-2006, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree66 View Post
I've quit several times myself and started up again.I will try again,hopefully soon,I think when I try again I'm going to try the commit lozenger.
Tried the patch I liked it except at night I had horrible nighmares.

But you are right all it takes is 1 to restart.
I forgot about the nightmares ! What a horrible experience. My Dr. prescribed me Wellbutrin to help quit. It made me so depressed, I never cried so much in my life. I was miserable and in turn made my family miserable.
It is nice to hear that I am not the last smoker left fighting this battle.

Unread 10-18-2006, 08:24 AM

10,010 posts, read 10,992,227 times
Hey I got mono when I was is high school and at that time I wasnt kissing anyone, I was out for a month, lost 30 pounds, great diet if it wasnt for the horrible headaches and the need to sleep all the time!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness