U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 12:43 AM

1,602 posts, read 648,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belovenow View Post
Second-hand smoke causes an immune reaction in all people. If your immune system is weakened by it, then you will be more suseptible to a sinus infection you otherwise might have fought off. It's not that it is giving you a sinus infection as much as it is making you succumb to a virus or bacteria you've already or simultaneously been exposed to.
Second hand smoke can give you cancer. Christopher Reeve's wife Dana died to lung cancer and never smoked. Second hand smoke can be just as bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 08:17 AM

17,628 posts, read 16,824,863 times
Smoke gives me a bad headache and I get a stuffy, blocked up nose. The ongoing congestion can lead to a sinus infection. I used to be a smoker but had to give it up due to the headaches and congestion.

Thank goodness there aren't that many people who still smoke but when I do encounter one, I walk fast to get past them and cover my nose with my hand until I am out of range. I hold my breath too. I never used to be this sensitive to smoke. It's not that I mind the smell of it, it just makes me very unwell.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:26 AM

9,045 posts, read 6,209,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
Yes. Over the years I've sort of figured it out. I was raised in a home where my dad smoked inside. Two packs a day. I was also raised in LA. Think smog.

Any type of smoke. .. Fireworks. Barbecue. Fireplace. Outdoor fires. Cigarettes. Even walking the dogs and someone burning wood in their fireplace and the smell is drifting on the wind. Hotel rooms where they say it's a non-smoker and it isn't.

My eyes itch, get red, my sinuses run, and my chest gets tight. I've learned to stand upwind or leave. I've crossed the street and sometimes have to use my long sleeve to pull over my hand and cover my nose and mouth, breathing through the fabric. I just can't be around it, I get nauseated.

For those confronted with it - Just cover your nose and mouth with your hand and hold your breath for a bit. They'll get it.
Or they will ignore it. That's been my experience, with cigarette smokers anyway.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:53 AM

14,819 posts, read 14,947,583 times
I don't get any infections......but my sinuses, nasal passage and throat get sore and irritated. Also, yuck, my stomach gets this tight and queasy feeling.

If I stay in a, LOL, "non-smoking room" in a hotel or motel, and someone is smoking in one of the rooms next to me, I start getting sick after a couple of hours. I can tell when some is smoking next door, the
the smell and my nauseated stomach are dead-giveaways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness