Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 08:11 AM

268 posts, read 1,108,366 times

Advertisements

Trigger a sinus infection for anyone?

I was around it for few days and now I feel horrible.

It always occurs when I'm around smoke (and I couldn't stay away from it.. I was with family who smoke..we were at a funeral.. I couldn't just ask them to not smoke).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 08:30 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autimom4ever View Post

It always occurs when I'm around smoke (and I couldn't stay away from it.. I was with family who smoke..we were at a funeral.. I couldn't just ask them to not smoke).
No, can cause an irritation in the nasal passages giving rise to increased swelling/drainage. Try a saline nasal rinse, warm moist compresses, fluids.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:01 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
I'm not around smoke. I can't stand it when people smoke. I get up and leave. You might be very sensitive to it.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:02 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,086 times
I doubt it's an infection, more likely irritation or inflammation. I get it around smokers, too, in addition to a hacking cough.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:41 AM

942 posts, read 1,391,408 times
I can't be around people that smoke at all. WIth me it is a trigger for a asthma attack, and it immediately makes me wheeze to be around them. I have gotten too the point, I politely tell them to not smoke near me. I have had some especially since moving to Oregon that could care less, and I have let them know I could care less about their rudeness and walk away from them. If something bothers your health by all means speak up, hopefully they will be polite to you. Most likely you have sinus problems to begin with, and the smoke is a trigger for inflammation. Either way it is a discomfort for you being around smoke and you need a limit on your time around it.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:18 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Quote:

I was also at a funeral this last weekend, with smokers. I kept taking a step back, they followed, kept doing it, finally i took off. lol
What's worse, one of the heavy smokers had to hug everyone, getting the smell all over us, and of course, making me nauseous in the process.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:44 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
Quote:

Second-hand smoke causes an immune reaction in all people. If your immune system is weakened by it, then you will be more suseptible to a sinus infection you otherwise might have fought off. It's not that it is giving you a sinus infection as much as it is making you succumb to a virus or bacteria you've already or simultaneously been exposed to.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:28 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
If I am around smoke, I get cold-like symptoms. Stuffy nose, sneezing, watery eyes. Fortunately nobody in my family smokes, nor in my workplace, and my friends don't smoke.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,142 times
Extremely doubtful. Unless you are in a small in closed area where there is no ventilation from (the smoke). 9 times of of 10, it's usually in the person's head. It's often a "condition" the non-smoker comes up with, in order not to be around it, mostly due to the fact they do not care for the smell.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:38 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,690,565 times
Yes. Over the years I've sort of figured it out. I was raised in a home where my dad smoked inside. Two packs a day. I was also raised in LA. Think smog.

Any type of smoke. .. Fireworks. Barbecue. Fireplace. Outdoor fires. Cigarettes. Even walking the dogs and someone burning wood in their fireplace and the smell is drifting on the wind. Hotel rooms where they say it's a non-smoker and it isn't.

My eyes itch, get red, my sinuses run, and my chest gets tight. I've learned to stand upwind or leave. I've crossed the street and sometimes have to use my long sleeve to pull over my hand and cover my nose and mouth, breathing through the fabric. I just can't be around it, I get nauseated.

For those confronted with it - Just cover your nose and mouth with your hand and hold your breath for a bit. They'll get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness