Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 09:42 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times

Advertisements

i ve heard its called a "flow experience"--where you don't have to out any effort into what you are feeling, its something that comes on naturally with the event. this could be why some people excel at what they do because much of it is like a flow experience to them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 05:49 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,182,338 times
You might want to look up "Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response." Although you haven't described your sensation as including tingles, which is the hallmark of ASMR, you might want to read about it anyway- a lot of your situations are what I would call ASMR triggers. You can read my posts and others in a thread here on CD - here is my post: http://www.city-data.com/forum/28080417-post6.html

Wikipedia article: Autonomous sensory meridian response - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As I said, if you don't get the tingles, then it isn't ASMR, but as people have different ways of describing things, I thought I should at least pass this info on to you.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:03 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post
OK, there's this feeling that I get every once in a while in certain situations, and I feel *certain* that other people must get it too in similar situations. But I've never been able to describe it well or research it well enough to successfully talk about it or find a name or description of it or anything like that.

There are some smart people on these boards, so I'm hoping you could help me figure out more about it, or else there might at least be others out there who get the same feeling sometimes and will know exactly what I am talking about.

OK, so here goes. This feeling is a wonderful, warm, blissful, uplifting feeling. It's like there's a pocket of warm, soothing helium in my stomach and it's lifting me up out of my chair when I feel it.

Now here's the funny part. Here are some examples of the situations I have felt this feeling in:

1.) When someone is showing me a card trick or magic trick, especially a younger kid. I get this feeling when I realize I just have to sit back, relax and play along.

2.) When someone (especially a kid) shows you some sort of fun little game where you don't really have to put forth any effort, just sit there and play along. Examples:

-This game where one person sings a little rhyme and does the accompanying hand motions and things to go along with it:

Childhood rhyme? goes like "x marks the spot"? - Yahoo7 Answers

-Another little game where one person slaps both of the other person's hands, then asks, "which one hurt the most?" then you pick a hand. They take that hand and run their finger along all five of your fingers and ask, "which one tickled the most?" and you select one. Then they pinch each of the three parts of that finger and ask, "Which one hurt the most?" And you select one. Then they tell you to pick a number between one and five, and once you have it, they look at the part of your finger they pinched and are supposedly able to see a number in the pigment of your skin or something like that. Obviously it's BS but I get that blissful feeling playing along in things like that.

2a.) Also watching any sort of little play, performance, talent show, skit or anything else like that that kids put together and want you to watch. It's a good feeling knowing that they worked really hard to put this together and if you sit there and watch and are into it and tell them good job, they will feel really proud and accomplished.

3.) Doing any sort of fun, interesting personality test where you just sort of go by instinct and see what it says about your personality. Such as this:

ColorQuiz.com - The free five minute personality test!

4.) Any time you are helping someone out with a class project where they have to survey a lot of people or get answers from people to gather data. Not like a class project where you have to sit there and work your butt off to help someone finish. Just something simple. For example one time a friend of mine for a biology class had to go around and take survey's of people's physical traits en masse. She looked at my hair color, eye color, freckles, dimples, pulse rate, blood pressure, shoe size and all sorts of other things. Something about it was incredibly relaxing.

5.) Any time someone is taking professional photos for a website, newspaper, yearbook, newscast, or anything like that. Not cheesy photos, but when they say "Keep doing what you are doing," or "Just act natural" and then proceed to take photos as you do your thing.

6.) Whenever someone at a retail store or restaurant is new or doesn't know what they are doing, but they are trying incredibly hard and are being very friendly about it and you don't mind at all. When they say things like, "Sorry it's my first day," or something like that, but are giving the effort and being extra friendly. Being patient with them and knowing that if I am friendly and understanding about it, it will make their life better.

Those are just a couple of examples of the strangest, seemingly commonplace situations that I get this feeling in. That's why it's so hard to describe and figure out. It has nothing to do with love, lust, infatuation or anything like that. It's just this relaxing, soothing, innocent, blissful feeling. It's one of the best feelings in the world.

OK, I've said enough. I feel like people that don't get this feeling will read this list and be like, Dude, what the hell? But people who *DO* get this feeling, if there are any out there, might read this and be like, "OH MY GOD! I know exactly what you mean!"
Yeah, sorry but I'm not getting it. None of those things you listed would make me feel blissful and certainly not the best feeling in the world. Whatever makes you happy though!

Old 11-05-2015, 03:59 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
It's called Joy, thorough enjoyment.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:35 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,867 times
I get a similar feeling briefly when listening to beautiful music. I used to get that when I lived where we had 4 seasons and after a winter, when we finally had our first beautiful spring day I'd feel that way. None of the things you mentioned would trigger those feelings.

On a negative note, there are types of seizures called temporal lobe seizures that cause similar feelings and other weird types of sensations. I sincerely hope it isn't that.

Old 11-10-2021, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 208 times
ik exactly what u mean and i fully with 1 2 and 4 especially that blissful feeling yes idk what its called either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness