U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 01:26 PM

2,386 posts, read 5,276,582 times

Advertisements

So a friend of mine is in the hospital as we speak. I spoke to him and he is dying to leave but believes he can't since it'll be against doctors orders. From what he told me he went to the emergency room for a slight injury in his legs from working out. Basically, he worked out so much that his urine turned brown every time he went to relieve himself and that he can barely walk (from squatting a ridiculous amount). They ran some test on him and said his CK levels were through the roof and his liver enzymes were quite high. So they drew some test on him and his CK levels went higher despite resting. They put in an IV to get his CK levels down and they have gone down. Now his legs are not as sore and he feels normal, he can walk around, his urine looks normal etc.

He's been there 2 extra days then he has been wanting to be and the hospital says they want to keep him 2-4 more days just to make sure he is okay then release him. He feels completely okay and just wants to get out the hospital. He gets up, walks normally and doesn't feel much soreness anymore and feels 100% to go. I'm taking it upon myself to research this for him, since he doesn't have access to the internet at the moment and he doesn't get good reception for his phone.

From my knowledge, you are able to go but the hospital makes you sign an AMA (I believe?) waiver so they have no liability to what happens to you when you leave. As long as you're not a danger to yourself or anyone else, you're a competent adult and not in any serious health risk, then you can dismiss yourself. Correct me if I am mistaken, however.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 01:36 PM

50 posts, read 113,352 times
He can do whatever he wishes. Doctors don't give orders, just advice. If he is an adult, he can do what he wants, when he wants it.

Yes, he does have to sign the papers though.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:38 PM

2,667 posts, read 2,735,910 times
Just tell the hospital that he doesn't have any insurance or money and they'll help him to his car !

Old 12-04-2013, 01:38 PM

7,778 posts, read 9,608,567 times
His insurance may not pay unless he follows regular channels to leave.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:57 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
I believe that some insurance won't pay if he leaves AMA but he needs to call them.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:24 PM

2,386 posts, read 5,276,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I believe that some insurance won't pay if he leaves AMA but he needs to call them.

I see. But he can still leave but it'll be out of pocket, correct?

Old 12-04-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I see. But he can still leave but it'll be out of pocket, correct?
He can leave no matter what. What's in question is if insurance will pay. He has to check on that unless he doesn't mind paying out of pocket.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:47 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,286,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
That might be true or not depending on the hospital, doctor or insurance company, but a nurse laid that one on me the last time I went in to the emergency room and they wanted to admit me over night.

Later another nurse told me it wasn't true!!

I suppose calling his insurance company would settle the question.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
I suppose calling his insurance company would settle the question.
This is very important. He can't trust what doctors say on this because they will always say insurance won't pay. And they are surely not having the patience's interest in mind when they say it.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:30 PM

150 posts, read 264,173 times
I left the emergency room a month ago. They wanted to keep me overnight for observation. I knew what had happened and so did they, but they have to err on the side of caution. I checked myself out, doctor came in and said you know what can happen if you leave, right? I said yes, I could die and he agreed with me. The nurse made me repeat the consequences of leaving.

I promised to call my physician the next day, and did follow through. He knows his own body.

By the way, insurance paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness