Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 11:14 AM

1,789 posts, read 2,130,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Dec. 14, 2013 — Coffee and cigarette smoking may protect against the rare liver disease Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis (PSC), study shows.
Wow! I quit smoking 15 or so years ago but continue to consume eight or more cups of hi=tech coffee every day. So far, the article's right as I have absolutely no kidney problems. Read the article @ Coffee and cigarettes may protect against liver disease
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 11:55 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,577,260 times
Well, I just proved you wrong. I never smoked and rarely drink a cup of coffee, and I have never had any liver problems.

The article is about a single RARE liver disease, and tobacco/coffee have absolutely no positive effect on any other liver conditions. PSC affects only about one person in 100,000, so it is really not very sensible to take up smoking to protect yourself from it.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Well, I just proved you wrong. I never smoked and rarely drink a cup of coffee, and I have never had any liver problems.

The article is about a single RARE liver disease, and tobacco/coffee have absolutely no positive effect on any other liver conditions.
What a Scrooge you are. I just got my hopes up.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:08 PM

15,104 posts, read 27,550,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
Wow! I quit smoking 15 or so years ago but continue to consume eight or more cups of hi=tech coffee every day. So far, the article's right as I have absolutely no kidney problems. Read the article @ Coffee and cigarettes may protect against liver disease
What does the fact that you have no kidney problems have to do w/an article you post about liver disease?

Old 12-15-2013, 01:29 PM

26,635 posts, read 28,427,436 times
Sounds like the coffee and cigarette industries are looking for customers.

I've only known one person who had kidney stones: my Ex. He was a coffee drinker.

Anyone who can get through a long life as a smoker and not have any cigarette related illness like emphesyma or lung cancer just had amazing genes to being with. It's not worth it to risk serious health problems just to avoid some extremely rare liver disease.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:10 PM

4,246 posts, read 11,977,445 times
I think most illnesses and cancers are gene related. It's JMHO though so take it with a grain of salt.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:50 AM

23,065 posts, read 28,778,528 times
I wouldn't trust any research that comes out of the caffeine industry, because they're too powerful and organized.

The caffeine industry is so lucrative they can hire armies of scientists to do research to shed an eternal light on their products, whether it be soft drinks, tea or coffee. And what research organizations have the funding to refute their findings!!!

As for the tobacco industry, it's well known that pipe smokers have the lowest incidents of lung cancer, followed by cigar smokers, and those that smoke the average cancer sticks/cigarettes. If it's nicotine you're after, there's safer/safest alternatives available via chewing/spitting, inhaling it like cocaine, Nicorette gum, and drinking it, like the South American Indians used to do.

We forget, the tobacco plant is an herb! We forgot about that, for years, with cannabis, and are now seeing it in a different light. Same thing will happen some day with tobacco! Medical tobacco dispensaries!

Old 12-18-2013, 09:28 AM

503 posts, read 1,197,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
Wow! I quit smoking 15 or so years ago but continue to consume eight or more cups of hi=tech coffee every day.
Any chance you could shed some light on exactly what "hi=tech" coffee is?

Old 12-18-2013, 06:51 PM

It would be nice is someone - anyone - on this forum would realize that I post most of the threads I do simply to stir things up.

A true story. I grew up next door to an old guy we kids knew as Mister Fox. He was really old - in his late 80s or early 90s [not so old to me anymore] and smoked at least a half pack of non-filter cigarettes each day, along with a huge, stinky cigar on his porch as the sun went down. He always had a glass of whiskey at his side. And, we watched him on his porch every morning drinking cup after cup of coffee.

And then, he died. Never had a sick day in his life. Never used a cane and worked in his yard every day and walked about a mile each Sunday to church.

I heard the adults talk about him later. They supposedly conducted an autopsy and discovered all sorts of stuff inside of him that shoulda killed him decades before.

Since then, I've always felt a lot of our health depends upon our outlook on life and how we chose to live in spite of all sorts of dire warnings.

[I plan to be around another 15 to 20 years in spite of all my ailments]

Old 12-18-2013, 06:53 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,961,628 times
I smoke and drink coffee and have for years and I still got an Auto Immune Liver Disease so that theory just went down the toity for liver disease in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness