U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2018, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
15,348 posts, read 4,823,600 times
Reputation: 10591

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Are you saying taking levothyroxine causes you fatigue? My DH is on Levothyroxine 125 Mcg. 2 tabs daily
Levo did not help me as it's T4 only...I do best with T4andT3 in form of desiccated thryoid support. I was falling over with fatigue when an endo pushed it on me for a trial. Some don't convert the only T4 to the Ts we need. I'm just sayin how it did NOT work in my body. I've been on several thyroid support groups over many years and have heard this same story from many. People finally felt better once they found an MD to work with them with desiccated thyroid support.

Right now my good friend who has been on desiccated support for years and since she had to change doctors, the new doctor got her off desiccated and on Levo only and my gut tells me that is why she is feeling so badly and on the verge of tears a lot. The change in meds.

It's too too bad the MD's don't work with all forms of thyroid meds..the integrative MD's work mostly with desiccated and conventional work with T4 meds mostly. WHY, I have my theories. And so do many others in the thyroid world. So many work against each other and the patient suffers.

I certainly don't have all the answers, who does. I know my friend with a full blown CFS/ME dx is on 2 grans (130mg) desiccated thyroid in the form of NT, same as what I take. But she also feels there is a virus involved somewhere somehow...doctors just don't know and research is not done for the many suffering with the major fatigue issue.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-30-2018 at 04:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2018, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Islip,NY
16,584 posts, read 18,957,566 times
Reputation: 16472
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Levo did not help me as it's T4 only...I do best with T4andT3 in form of desiccated thryoid support. I was falling over with fatigue when an endo pushed it on me for a trial. Some don't convert the only T4 to the Ts we need. I'm just sayin how it did NOT work in my body. I've been on several thyroid support groups over many years and have heard this same story from many. People finally felt better once they found an MD to work with them with desiccated thyroid support.

Right now my good friend who has been on desiccated support for years and since she had to change doctors, the new doctor got her off desiccated and on Levo only and my gut tells me that is why she is feeling so badly and on the verge of tears a lot. The change in meds.

It's too too bad the MD's don't work with all forms of thyroid meds..the integrative MD's work mostly with desiccated and conventional work with T4 meds mostly. WHY, I have my theories. And so do many others in the thyroid world. So many work against each other and the patient suffers.

I certainly don't have all the answers, who does. I know my friend with a full blown CFS/ME dx is on 2 grans (130mg) desiccated thyroid in the form of NT, same as what I take. But she also feels there is a virus involved somewhere somehow...doctors just don't know and research is not done for the many suffering with the major fatigue issue.
What do you mean my T4 and T3's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2018, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
15,348 posts, read 4,823,600 times
Reputation: 10591
Levo T contains T4 only.

https://www.rxlist.com/levo-t-drug.htm

NT contains T3 and T4 and more.

Nature-Throid | FULL Prescribing Information | PDR.net


This is just a thought you will have to do further research and/or ask your doctor. It could be your husband is not getting adequate thyroid support. I'm guessing from all the years I've worked with the thyroid.

OR he may need to get your doctor to think about adding T3 in the form of Cytomel with some who take Levo also take Cytomel to get the T3 they MAY need.

Fatigue is one major factor of HypoT. There are 66 some symptoms of HypoT.


Example: There are many blood pressure meds the MD's can work with BUT why do MOST only work with one thyroid med. There are more to work with but are ignored.
One med does not necessarily fit all.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-30-2018 at 08:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2018, 06:08 AM
 
Location: Islip,NY
16,584 posts, read 18,957,566 times
Reputation: 16472
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Levo T contains T4 only.

https://www.rxlist.com/levo-t-drug.htm

NT contains T3 and T4 and more.

Nature-Throid | FULL Prescribing Information | PDR.net


This is just a thought you will have to do further research and/or ask your doctor. It could be your husband is not getting adequate thyroid support. I'm guessing from all the years I've worked with the thyroid.

OR he may need to get your doctor to think about adding T3 in the form of Cytomel with some who take Levo also take Cytomel to get the T3 they MAY need.

Fatigue is one major factor of HypoT. There are 66 some symptoms of HypoT.


Example: There are many blood pressure meds the MD's can work with BUT why do MOST only work with one thyroid med. There are more to work with but are ignored.
One med does not necessarily fit all.
Thanks, he's been on Thyroid meds for about 11 years, and he's also on Linsopril (HBP) his BP isn't extremely high though. We get the blood results Monday. Thanks for the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2018, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
15,348 posts, read 4,823,600 times
Reputation: 10591
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Thanks, he's been on Thyroid meds for about 11 years, and he's also on Linsopril (HBP) his BP isn't extremely high though. We get the blood results Monday. Thanks for the information.
I'm of the mindset that so many NEVER get their thyroid meds changed to get to an optimal place for them...I started with a relatively low dose in 2002 and over the years got to where I am today which is double from where I started.

BP meds do cause fatigue for many and then they do adjust to the meds.

Has your husband discussed his fatigue issues with the MD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2018, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Islip,NY
16,584 posts, read 18,957,566 times
Reputation: 16472
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm of the mindset that so many NEVER get their thyroid meds changed to get to an optimal place for them...I started with a relatively low dose in 2002 and over the years got to where I am today which is double from where I started.

BP meds do cause fatigue for many and then they do adjust to the meds.

Has your husband discussed his fatigue issues with the MD.
No but he will this Monday when we go to see him. I think he has CFS. He went to work today and I just spoke to him and he feels exhausted, he felt nauseous earlier and very sweaty. He had the AC on in the car on the way to work meanwhile it's 30 degrees out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2018, 12:23 PM
 
Location: USA, love-it or leave-it Baby!!!!
14,260 posts, read 14,400,529 times
Reputation: 9765
How is your diet, post an example of everything you eat in a day!?!?!?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2018, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
15,348 posts, read 4,823,600 times
Reputation: 10591
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
No but he will this Monday when we go to see him. I think he has CFS. He went to work today and I just spoke to him and he feels exhausted, he felt nauseous earlier and very sweaty. He had the AC on in the car on the way to work meanwhile it's 30 degrees out.
CFS is a mystery and I've been on forums for FM/CFS and so many with CFS really struggle. No drugs necessarily but many many use a lot of supplements.. And the thyroid could need adjustment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2018, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Islip,NY
16,584 posts, read 18,957,566 times
Reputation: 16472
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
How is your diet, post an example of everything you eat in a day!?!?!?!?
eggs, fruit, Greek yogurt, for breakfast but not all together or some times just 2 pieces of fruit and a coffee.


for lunch I usually give him Boars head ham, Turkey or oven gold chicken breast with a few cheese slices no bread and a piece of fruit.


Dinner: chicken, fish or beef always a vegetable and either rice, potato or pasta or instead a salad.


Snacks: Sometimes nothing but on occasion he'll have a few potato chips or pita chips with Hummus or we will have ice cream but we haven't had that in a while. Ice cream is more of a summer time treat.


His biggest meal is dinner and sometimes he has a second helping of what ever I make. He only drinks water or seltzer, has 2 cups of coffee a day.


On occasion he likes to eat breakfast from McDonalds or the diner on the weekends but that's maybe once every couple of months. I cook pretty healthy because I am on weight watchers so he eats what I cook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2018, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica, CA
15,348 posts, read 4,823,600 times
Reputation: 10591
lubby: Has your husband ever had Mono? Some with CFS report they have had mono.

https://monotreatment.com/chronic_fatigue_syndrome.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top