Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 12:35 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times

Advertisements

I went to the derm doc and he recommended a generic form of Retinol-A for my rosacea. But I have read so many negative user reviews for the stuff, I am scared to start the regime.

Anyone use this for rosacea, and what did YOU think about it? Worth it, or no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 02:57 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
My derm never recommended anything but a life-long course of a low-dose antibiotic to keep erruptions down. How old are you? Retinol has caused some problems for some people.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:08 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
S&S, I remember years ago Retinol A was a big thing. I remember going to T.J. to buy it in a pharmacy across the boarder...I don't think I used it much, can't remember why maybe irritated my skin. We were talking about rosacea recently and maybe there is a thread in Alt Med.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 02-09-2018 at 05:35 PM..

Old 02-09-2018, 05:04 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
I am sorry, but I believe retinol can make rosacea worse. I would not want to use it. It makes your skin photosensitive as well.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:17 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I went to the derm doc and he recommended a generic form of Retinol-A for my rosacea. But I have read so many negative user reviews for the stuff, I am scared to start the regime.

Anyone use this for rosacea, and what did YOU think about it? Worth it, or no?
I would still try it and see if it works. Everyone is different and if your dermatologist wants you to try it then you probably should. I dont think your doctor would have given you something that is going to make it worse. People can have opinions about all kinds of stuff and there are always different sets of circumstances. Follow the person that has the MD after their name. I am sure if you have a problem with it they can suggest a different way to go.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:15 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I have used retin-A since I was 30 (not retinol, that is like the OTC stuff).

Not for rosacea though.

RetinA can be strong so a lot of people stop, instead of continuing and then your skin gets used to it. Try it every few days, wait 15 minutes and put moisturizer over it to minimizes irritation.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-10-2018, 10:07 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I have used retin-A since I was 30 (not retinol, that is like the OTC stuff).

Not for rosacea though.

RetinA can be strong so a lot of people stop, instead of continuing and then your skin gets used to it. Try it every few days, wait 15 minutes and put moisturizer over it to minimizes irritation.

Oh yeah, that's what I meant. Retin-A. People had experiences all over the place with it, hence my apprehension. Are you using it for wrinkle prevention, and how's that going for you?

IDK, I have a family reunion next month and a Europe trip after that. Maybe I should wait until after all that....the rosacea is fairly mild so don't worry too much about it at this age --62. Vanity departed a few years ago, LOL. I was only at the derm for my regular liquid nitrogen treatment of sun-spots. So fun having crusty pink-spotted arms, but I guess it's better than skin cancer. Dang Swedish heritage!

Old 02-10-2018, 10:22 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Oh yeah, that's what I meant. Retin-A. People had experiences all over the place with it, hence my apprehension. Are you using it for wrinkle prevention, and how's that going for you?

IDK, I have a family reunion next month and a Europe trip after that. Maybe I should wait until after all that....the rosacea is fairly mild so don't worry too much about it at this age --62. Vanity departed a few years ago, LOL. I was only at the derm for my regular liquid nitrogen treatment of sun-spots. So fun having crusty pink-spotted arms, but I guess it's better than skin cancer. Dang Swedish heritage!

Yes, I use it for wrinkle prevention mainly. Honestly, it works great for that, though I would have to give you a pic to judge and won't do that. I can share that my doc had a new nurse and she said she had to reconfirm my age because she thought it was an error. But I think people in general look younger than the previous generations.

I would wait until after the reunion. It can make your face dry, red and flaky at first.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-10-2018, 03:44 PM

689 posts, read 972,800 times
I've been using Retin-A on and off for about 15 years - my mother used it before me and now my oldest daughter (35) uses it as well. We tend to have adult acne break-outs in our family so when my mother - who used it for wrinkles - raved about, it we decided to try it.

We've all seen great results but it does take some getting used to and, like Mikala suggests, it's best to go slow and give your skin a chance to adjust. You can expect some redness and peeling in the beginning, especially if you have more sensitive skin. This is normal, but if it gets too severe, you'll need to back it way down. Also, if you live in a climate that gets very cold during the winter months, you'll notice your skin may be more sensitive during that time, due to the drying effect of indoor heating, wind, etc.

If you decide to give it a try, you'll also want to consider changing what product you use to cleanse your face if you're using a traditional soap of any kind. I switched along time ago to natural fruit oil soap and I never have dry skin at all. Added moisture is a must.

In our experience, the generic products (which we use now due to $) are not as strong but work fine. Years ago the original brand name was intense but very fast acting.

If you can adjust to it, you'll find some very pleasant results, including reduction in the appearance of your pores, significant cell turn over giving you smoother, less blotchy skin, wrinkle prevention, diminished break-outs and more. If your doctor recommends it for your skin condition, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try. Hands down - it's 10 times more effective than any over-the-counter creams.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:22 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,989,910 times
Yes....it may make your skin red and sore at first...but once the 1st layer of skin sloths off, it can improve your skin. You have to be VERY careful of sun exposure....lots of sunscreen while you're using it!

Don't be afraid of it! It's helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness