Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,892 times

Advertisements

I am nearsighted. My prescription is -4.0. I can read fine without glasses; I don't need any correction for reading.

My doctor gave me a pair of contact lenses -4.0 / +2.0. She explained that the +2.0 is added to the -4.0 for a correction of -2.0 for reading, and the -4.0 corrects my distance vision. I can see fine at a distance with these lenses but I can't read or see close with the contact lenses in.

I need contact lenses that completely 'zero out' the -4.0 for distance vision, the prescription would be
-4.0/+4.0. The vision store my doctor is associated with does not sell a brand that gives the correction I need. Does anybody sell these? Does anyone else have a similar problem, and what did you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 05:07 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I too am near-sighted and used to be able to wear my contacts (although I don't need anything to read) - as I got older - I couldn't read w/them anymore, Dr. said as you age your eyes don't adjust to that anymore. They tried giving me two different contact prescriptions (to see if I could get used to reading from one eye) but that didn't work either. I had to give up contacts and go w/glasses (which I take off to read) - I tried bi-focal w/no prescription on the lower portion but they made me crazy so I just have regular glasses for distance and don't wear anything when reading.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:36 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Grave digging this thread because the technology has changed and others may find the topic of-interest. Multifocal daily wear disposable now exist, and they work...for me at least, t-plus one month.

I am a lifelong myope since adolescence, low negative power prescription w/mild astigmatism. I tried monthly and weekly wear contacts in the past, 13 and 25 years ago, but suspect I have somewhat dry eyes naturally. That plus mild allergies always made contacts a non-starter over the long haul.

With glasses, I am corrected 20/17 or better, with stable prescription. Glasses are what they are, from a fashion and convenience standpoint.

In my 40s, like most I have developed gradual presbyopia. As a myope, no big deal: tip the glasses down, read the fine print. One upside to myopes, we seem to get a pass on needing true bifocals for at least a few extra years. To current, my optometrist calls my presbyopia (need for near-magnification) as "Low", or ADD 1.25.

Low and behold, there now exist soft, daily wear multifocal contacts! Through what magic they do this, I know not, but gave them a shot only a month ago. I find them comfortable and will not go into detailed brand specifics since I shill for no one; suffice to say I would let the doctor determine what is best for you.

My vision will never be quite as sharp with contacts as glasses, though close (or not, glasses are not going anywhere for times when more convenient). But my near vision is "restored" (OK, magnified) plus my distance is almost solid as ever, I'm back to 20/20 or 20/25 with contacts, seems-like. My OD prescription may be slightly off, I am going to explore that this week with my doctor.

Downside is they are expensive, I suppose, at a couple bucks per day for both eyes. Insurance covers some of that, YMMV, and the brand I was prescribed had a sizable rebate for new patients which is probably temporary.

Upside also is they are actually quite comfortable for me. Oh, I know they are there, but a few blinks and all is well. No rewetting drops needed so far, which is surprising.

I am impressed. My purposes were mostly cosmetic, but it could be practical as-well if I "never" need to either re-fit my glasses for bi-focal and/or carry around several pair and/or never deal with that glasses hassle much in the future. If that sounds interesting for others in the over-40, non-LASIK, daily disposable crowd, look into it further: you will see some interesting developments since c. 2016.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:05 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
I'm somewhat nearsighted with astigmatism and have been wearing multifocals for about 6 months. Every year my doctor would say I'd eventually need bifocals starting from when I was 40 - I held out until 52 though. I love not having to put readers on, since that's why I'm wearing contacts - so I don't need to wear glasses! Plus, readers make me feel really old and I'm not ready for that! I don't think my far vision is as good as it could be - before getting the multifocals they were playing around a bit with that to help the presbyopia side of thing so they may need to revisit that to get it sharper.

The downside is the expense - I don't think it's too bad until you add in the astigmatism correction and it does become pretty expensive - but worth it to me, at the moment anyway.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:13 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
I am extremely nearsighted--more than a -8 diopter correction. Without my glasses, I can't even see that there are any letters on the chart. My eyes naturally focus from about 7 inches all the way out to eight inches from my face.

I have been wearing contacts, though, since the early 70s (back when they were made of hard plastic, couldn't be worn more than eight hours, and suddenly popped out of your eye onto the floor of your car if your eye got a little dry).

I was not able to find a usable design of multi-focal contact lenses. The difference between my near and far vision is too great to encompass successfully in a contact lens. One optometrist suggested putting one correction in one eye and the other correction in the other eye, but that effectively eliminates stereo vision.

So It's spectacles for me.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I am extremely nearsighted--more than a -8 diopter correction. Without my glasses, I can't even see that there are any letters on the chart. My eyes naturally focus from about 7 inches all the way out to eight inches from my face.

I have been wearing contacts, though, since the early 70s (back when they were made of hard plastic, couldn't be worn more than eight hours, and suddenly popped out of your eye onto the floor of your car if your eye got a little dry).

I was not able to find a usable design of multi-focal contact lenses. The difference between my near and far vision is too great to encompass successfully in a contact lens. One optometrist suggested putting one correction in one eye and the other correction in the other eye, but that effectively eliminates stereo vision.

So It's spectacles for me.
Yes - my eye doctor was skeptical about the multifocals working and really wanted me to do the monovision thing but for driving I didn't think it would be good. I also tend to favor one eye and thought it would be a very conscious thing to have to "switch" depending on what I was doing.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:50 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
I am nearsighted with a -2.50 and for many years my eye doctor would prescribe me contacts that were the best possible for distance. I finally had enough of that. I could see a mile away bit was blind as a bat close up. I could not stand it anymore and last prescription I had him bring it back to a -2.00. I can still see reasonably well at a distance, good enough to drive and watch TV AND I don't need reading glasses for anything except the smallest print or for anything that is very close up. It is a compromise of sorts which is EXACTLY what multifocal contact lenses are. I save money and achieve the same results.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I am nearsighted with a -2.50 and for many years my eye doctor would prescribe me contacts that were the best possible for distance. I finally had enough of that. I could see a mile away bit was blind as a bat close up. I could not stand it anymore and last prescription I had him bring it back to a -2.00. I can still see reasonably well at a distance, good enough to drive and watch TV AND I don't need reading glasses for anything except the smallest print or for anything that is very close up. It is a compromise of sorts which is EXACTLY what multifocal contact lenses are. I save money and achieve the same results.
I'm not clear (bad pun) what the mojo is in multifocals, how one can see up close (due to age-related presbyopia) AND correct for distance, latter problem I've had since teen years.

They seem to be doing that, however.

My near vision is great, if not "perfect" per se. As for distance, they adjusted my OD from -1.75 to -2.00 after retest, I think my Dr. was in error prescribing the lower power initially. I have mild astigmatism in both, so I'm losing a touch of clarity there. I'm tested just a hair under 20/20 in both eyes now, as of yesterday, which is fine with me.

Monovision was an option. Sounded like a bad one for me.

Why would one go from -2.50 to -2.00 as a compromise to read up-close, thereby losing distance crispness, if multifocals could potentially solve it? Go with -2.50, and ADD: Low or Med? Restore near and far?

(Merely curious: I'm trying to learn something new about all this.)

Old 06-28-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I'm not clear (bad pun) what the mojo is in multifocals, how one can see up close (due to age-related presbyopia) AND correct for distance, latter problem I've had since teen years.

They seem to be doing that, however.

My near vision is great, if not "perfect" per se. As for distance, they adjusted my OD from -1.75 to -2.00 after retest, I think my Dr. was in error prescribing the lower power initially. I have mild astigmatism in both, so I'm losing a touch of clarity there. I'm tested just a hair under 20/20 in both eyes now, as of yesterday, which is fine with me.

Monovision was an option. Sounded like a bad one for me.

Why would one go from -2.50 to -2.00 as a compromise to read up-close, thereby losing distance crispness, if multifocals could potentially solve it? Go with -2.50, and ADD: Low or Med? Restore near and far?

(Merely curious: I'm trying to learn something new about all this.)
Here's how they work - there are several different possible designs, depending on the brand I suppose:
Bifocal Contact Lenses - A Consumer Guide

Old 06-28-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Here's how they work - there are several different possible designs, depending on the brand I suppose:
Bifocal Contact Lenses - A Consumer Guide
Excellent, thank you. I cannot quite determine which type I'm wearing, the mind seems to adjust rather seamlessly for near and far. Perhaps I'm lucky that system (multifocal), whatever it may be, appears to be working well. Guessing my low power needs are working to my advantage as-well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness