Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 12:25 PM

933 posts, read 1,477,917 times

Advertisements

Hello all! Something happened this morning that, quite frankly, has me pretty concerned. Apparently, this morning my brother, a friend, and I were having a conversation about our New Year's Eve plans. My brother an hour or two later started talking about our previous conversation, but I honestly have no recollection of the conversation whatsoever. Like I don't even have the faintest memory of ever having a conversation about New Year's Eve, but apparently we had this conversation. It was only an or two prior, and it has me concerned. I mean, I'm young and have never had ANY issues with memory before, so why is it that I don't recall anything in this conversation AT ALL. I remember saying something about New Year's Eve, but it never spurred a conversation, so I don't think that was it.

It's just a little disturbing that this could happen, and my brother is super mad at me because he thinks I'm just a pathological liar. Why do you all think this happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 08:13 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
Either your brother is just playing you (and there was no such conversation) or you were distracted at the time and went "somewhere else" mentally while he was talking. I do that at times when someone is droning on and on and I cant leave the room for some reason.

I wouldnt worry unless you start losing time more often. Then you might want to see a doctor -- perhaps a psychiatrist or a neurologist. People with multiple personalities lose time when one of their other personalities comes out, but that's so rare that I feel silly even mentioning it. And people who suffer from PTSD can also lose time. But, again, if it's happened only this one time, I wouldnt worry.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:45 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
I didnt read what was obviously another thread but I do know that pain meds and muscle relaxers can affect your memory -- usually short-term unless you take a lot of hard drugs.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:57 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Memory lapses are not uncommon, ask any older folks, me included.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:53 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
Does your brother think you are a pathological liar just because of this ONE incident? That would be kind of weird.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:25 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,957,395 times
I've under 30 and I'm guilty of forgetting conversations. I think my problem comes when I'm concentrating on something else while having the conversation. If I'm watching something interesting on TV or looking at a car driving by and someone is talking to me, I'm only going to get about half of what they said. I actually made it one of my New Year's resolutions to stop what I'm doing and look at people while they're talking to me. I don't spend a lot of time staring at my phone, but I want to start listening to people more closely while they are taking the time to talk to me. No one has complained, but I feel like I haven't been a good listener.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:59 AM

467 posts, read 1,890,846 times
Memory lapses can be the result of stress. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it becomes a regular issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness