Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 04:44 PM

48,462 posts, read 34,696,675 times

Advertisements

Gastro problems are such a hard thing to diagnose. I've had/have: gall bladder removed, pancreantitis, gastrparesis, blocked bile duct, IBS.... I'm probably forgetting a few things.

It can be VERY frustrating going through all the tests until they find out whats wrong.

I would demand pain killers for your daughter, in this day and age there is no reason to be in pain.

Have you tried a liquid diet for her? Ensure, broth, etc?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 06:23 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,438,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I can imagine, she's likely at the age where she knows everything, and believes that parents know nothing, understand nothing and are put on this earth only to be annoyances and endless sources of embarrassment to her and her peers; sometimes to provide money and transportation when she wants those, but they must stay out of sight and keep their mouths shut while providing those things. She'll grow up, and will be amazed at how smart you have become in only two years or so. I remember those days all too well!

Tongue in cheek of course, but it is a challenge to get teenagers to do anything that doesn't come from their peers, so I feel for you! And drinking about 1.5 or more liters of that atrocious tasting bitter liquid ( they say you can add lemon or lime Koolaid or some other flavoring to it, but IMO that makes it worse) is no one's idea of fun.

I remember when my daughter was about seven years old, she developed symptoms that were similar to those you describe in your daughter and they thought she might have some sort of inflammatory bowel disease after they ran all the usual tests. She was scheduled for an EGD and colonoscopy, and the GI doc suggested that since kids that age don't usually do well at drinking the prep liquid, he admit her to the hospital the night before the procedure and have a nasogastric tube put in so they could give her the prep that way. That's what we did, and that was an ordeal as well, but my daughter was a trooper and a good sport throughout, but she'd never want to do that again.

There was a 4 year old boy in the bed next to hers during her prep that was also scheduled for a colonoscopy the next day, and they attempted to give him his prep fluid via ng tube too, but the poor little thing couldn't keep the fluid down. They ended up prepping this kid for his colonoscopy with enemas till clear. He was another brave little soul, and we felt so sorry for him too!

So I guess there are other ways to be prepped for a colonoscopy, but I think I'd opt for drinking the stuff!

IN any case, best wishes and I hope that you get good news from your daughter's procedures, that they can fix whatever her problems are and she'll be feeling well soon!
The funny thing is she didn't give her the stuff to drink only the dulcolax,5 tabs yesterday,5 tabs today procedure tomorrow.
2 days of a liquid diet. Seems like its been pretty easy on her,she's was in the bathroom a few times and says its clear out like and coming out like pee.guess since she doesn't really have much in her.I'm hoping she's clean enough since she ally hasn't done her part and drink a lot of water. Will give an update tomorrow.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:57 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,102,870 times
Wishing her all the best...

Old 01-09-2014, 06:59 PM

6,895 posts, read 22,490,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
The funny thing is she didn't give her the stuff to drink only the dulcolax,5 tabs yesterday,5 tabs today procedure tomorrow.
2 days of a liquid diet. Seems like its been pretty easy on her,she's was in the bathroom a few times and says its clear out like and coming out like pee.guess since she doesn't really have much in her.I'm hoping she's clean enough since she ally hasn't done her part and drink a lot of water. Will give an update tomorrow.
Different doctors handle the prep a different way. Sounds like she got the least yucky one. Sounds like she is good to go.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:51 PM

14,904 posts, read 12,077,848 times
Quote:
Well, that sounds about right. Hope everything goes well tomorrow!

Old 01-10-2014, 06:04 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,456,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Note you can call an emergency room and ask them if they think you should come in.
ER staff are not likely to say much about this kind of question, for liability reasons. When I worked in the ER, we were required to tell callers that we could not give medical advice over the phone, and that should be seen, in person, by a physician if they felt that their medical necessitated immediate care.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:04 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,737,906 times
Poor child. I hope you get some answers today.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:29 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,438,203 times
well the procedure is done,turns out she has Crohns. so have all the info,Dr will go over with her more on follow up. she was put sleep and i think it may be affecting her stomach she tried eating but threw up.so now we have answers and a plan.. thank you all.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:02 PM

48,462 posts, read 34,696,675 times
I'm glad you got a diagnosis, and she can start feeling better.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-10-2014, 03:46 PM

6,895 posts, read 22,490,002 times
Quote:
well the procedure is done,turns out she has Crohns. so have all the info,Dr will go over with her more on follow up. she was put sleep and i think it may be affecting her stomach she tried eating but threw up.so now we have answers and a plan.. thank you all.
Damn! I am so sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness