U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 06:34 PM

13,544 posts, read 16,560,875 times

Advertisements

I posted about my experience with the flu on this thread. It was a big deal. You may choose to trivialize it, but the parents of the young formerly-healthy teenagers here in Houston who've died from the flu in the past 2 months would beg to differ.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:06 AM

18 posts, read 18,549 times
This years flu felt so different than any flu I've ever had.
It started last Monday with fever, cough, nausea, vomiting (the norm) but it was the flippin head, neck and body aches that were so intense! The second day I just cried, crawled back and fourth to bathroom, and swigged Nyquil every 4 hrs or so just to fall back to sleep.
The third and fourth day filled with feeling a little better and trying to eat something. But every time you eat the fever, chills and intense brain and neck pain/pressure come back with a vengeance! Today is day 7 and I'm just starting to feel "ok"…I'm just used to the flu lasting 2-3 days for me, not this long and intense. I will not miss my flu shot next year.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:05 PM

6,086 posts, read 1,775,008 times
Default flu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I haven't gotten the flu this year, but why do people do people make such a big deal about it? You just just have a little fever and achy muscles for a day or two. Just let it runs it course. People are such babies.
The flu affects everyone differently; for some it can just mean a couple of days sick in bed, while for others it is more serious and can even mean hospitalization. Especially for younger people with immune systems never/or rarely exposed to flu bugs, it can be deadly. If you look at the news, younger people are dying from the flu and they suffer more intense symptoms, which last a lot longer. A 23 year old man named Matthew Walker (?) recently passed away from the H1N1 flu in Santa Rosa. It hit him hard and quickly - they thought it was pneumonia at first, and not until he was in an induced coma did they find out it was actually the flu. He had no underlying health conditions, except the bad luck to contract the flu.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:12 PM

1,694 posts, read 1,880,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Glad you're on the mend!

I had the flu for the first time in my life at 53, two years ago. I was out of it for days, high temp, hurt all over, weak, lost my voice, congested, didn't eat, etc. Came on really fast, too. I woke up and went to work feeling fine, by mid-afternoon I was sweating and chills and kept thinking I was going to faint. No fun at all.
Same exact thing happened to me in October-came to work feeling tired but ok, by 11:30 I had to go home. I couldn't get out of bed for almost 2 weeks. My husband had it this week, and was only bed-stricken for like a day.

Some people are posting on facebook that their kids' schools are closing because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I haven't gotten the flu this year, but why do people do people make such a big deal about it? You just just have a little fever and achy muscles for a day or two. Just let it runs it course. People are such babies.
Soooo not true. I couldn't get out of bed for almost 2 weeks. I wanted to die. I couldn't lift my head, couldn't eat...I don't think you've had it.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:19 PM

1,871 posts, read 1,385,555 times
While I'm not sure what I have I just got over a bad cold that I had for about a week before xmas and then was sick through xmas and new years finally felt better this week. Woke up this morning with a dry throat and mouth and just felt like I was getting sick again. Yuck. I am so tired of people who can not cover their god damn mouths when they are sick. I am stressed from my job and just have gotten lazy. I was fine until now but I am working around sick individuals. So tired of being sick. **** my life.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:42 AM

11,354 posts, read 12,796,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
There is a strain circulating that is not covered by this year's vaccine. I have had several friends who got their flu shots and still got very ill.
That's cause there's near a hundred strains...makes you wonder how the cdc knows which one to vaccinate for.
If you get the flu shot, you'll lower your immunities cause they're busy fighting all the toxins in the shot...and then along comes another strain, and you've got the flu anyways...happens a lot.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I posted about my experience with the flu on this thread. It was a big deal. You may choose to trivialize it, but the parents of the young formerly-healthy teenagers here in Houston who've died from the flu in the past 2 months would beg to differ.
Yes, for you it was, and for the parents whose children died from the vaccine, it IS a big deal, and always will be......Mother claims healthy son, 19, was killed by flu-shot after he fell into a coma just 24-hours after having vaccine | Mail Online

Healthy 7 Year Old Girl Dies in Mother’s Arms After Flu Shot

Was an Eight Year Olds Death Caused by His Flu Shot

Old 01-18-2014, 08:10 AM

13,544 posts, read 16,560,875 times
There is no proof that any of those deaths were caused by the flu vaccine -- or that those kids were truly healthy before they received the shot. But there will always be people who want to find conspiracy in everything -- just like the number of people who are trying to claim that Jahi McMath was healthy before her complicated surgery.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
That was thanks to hysteria fed by Oprah and Jenny McCarthy. It seems people would rather believe Oprah than scientists who know what they are talking about. Their crackpot theory was that a mercury compound used as a preservative caused autism. That wasn't true, but the manufacturers removed mercury from the DPT vaccine in 1997. No, there was no reduction in autism cases.
The only people who continually and faithfully keep bringing Jenny McCarthys name into vaccine discussions are those who believe in vaccines...why is that?..You have no idea about why other people feel the way they do...obvious from your post. Most people who refuse vaccines are more learned than those who don't...because they've either researched in depth, or they've experienced first hand the damage vaccines can and do cause.
Only vaccine proponents refuse to believe that for people who refuse them, it's not JUST the mercury that's concerning (there's still mercury in flu shots by the way, and traces im most other vaccines)...it's the compounding of an incredible amount of vaccines..with more and more being added each year...Autism will continue to climb in accordance with the number of vaccines your child is medically assaulted with...it's a perfect parallel, sadly............POSTER: COMPARING 1940, 1980 and 2012 children’s vaccine schedule | Vaccine Liberation Army

When I show this poster to the older generation they are shocked.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:25 AM

20,793 posts, read 48,921,318 times
I know of 3 people, friends of friends, all healthy before they got influenza, and are now dead. Two of them were single mothers leaving behind teenagers and one was a healthy 3 year old....all within the past month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness