U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 06:11 PM

6,205 posts, read 8,352,813 times

Advertisements

So whenever I see or hear someone swallow it almost immediately triggers the response in me, I have to swallow. Swallowing is especially annoying and creates anxiety when you're in a quiet room or close with someone and you KNOW they can hear it, and once you do it once and realize it, you become self concious and can't stop because it's on your mind. The last 2 days I have been swallowing almost constantly!

I find that even when I don't think about it I can feel the excess buildup of saliva in my mouth and I can't just FORCE myself to not swallow. I feel like I'm going to drown if I don't swallow it, so I keep swallowing and I think it is getting worse.

I did a quick search online for answers, I didn't find much, but I did find some people have far more severe conditions of this. The only thing I found and have been trying to far is to spit out the excess saliva, so I have a bottle, (I know, it's gross) that I spit into.

If anyone knows a cure or a way to cope with and forget about this it would be much appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 06:27 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
Do you have a cold with some post nasal drip, that's suddenly making you feel like you have more saliva? Otherwise, this sounds like a stress or anxiety issue.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Do you have a cold with some post nasal drip, that's suddenly making you feel like you have more saliva? Otherwise, this sounds like a stress or anxiety issue.
I thought I was on the cusp of getting sick a few days ago, my throat became dry a few times, but I've never actually gotten the cold as of late, just stuck with this annoying habit. I'm not stressed or nervous about anything. I just swallow when I see or hear someone else do it, because it makes me think of it and I can't help myself but to swallow, it then turns into a cycle where I can't take my mind off of it. Eventually I will stop thinking about it and it goes away, but this time it has lasted MUCH longer. Two days now and not really letting up. I'm hoping in the morning it will be gone and I just won't have those thoughts pop up anymore, but getting to sleep tonight may be difficult due to this.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:38 PM

3,065 posts, read 5,276,562 times
I have this annoying habit of swallowing all the time. I know that it bothers others, but I'm not sure what to do to stop it.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:39 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
That's why it sounds more like anxiety than like an actual issue of having too much saliva. I don't think most people usually hear other people swallowing, or pay too much attention to it. I never hear people swallowing, unless they're chugging a drink really fast. I even asked my husband just now and he said he never hears anyone swallow, he said he might notice someone's adam's apple moving but only if he was really paying attention.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
That's why it sounds more like anxiety than like an actual issue of having too much saliva. I don't think most people usually hear other people swallowing, or pay too much attention to it. I never hear people swallowing, unless they're chugging a drink really fast. I even asked my husband just now and he said he never hears anyone swallow, he said he might notice someone's adam's apple moving but only if he was really paying attention.
Well I can clarify how I think it all began.

My new girlfriend and I have recently started sleeping in the same bed. When laying that close to someone else and trying to go to sleep you can hear every move they make and everything they do, so when she swallows...I hear it, and it causes me to swallow. Now that I'm conscious of it and I know she can hear me it's stuck on my mind and I can't stop swallowing. Somehow that carried over to the next day and it grew worse and even when I was by myself I couldn't help but swallow or feel my mouth begin to fill up with saliva.

Whether it's an infection in my mouth, some problem with the gland that regulates saliva, or an anxiety issue, I'm not sure what to do.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:59 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,364,337 times
eft.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:41 PM

15,140 posts, read 15,198,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post

My new girlfriend and I have recently started sleeping in the same bed. When laying that close to someone else and trying to go to sleep you can hear every move they make and everything they do, so when she swallows...I hear it, and it causes me to swallow. Now that I'm conscious of it and I know she can hear me it's stuck on my mind and I can't stop swallowing. Somehow that carried over to the next day and it grew worse and even when I was by myself I couldn't help but swallow or feel my mouth begin to fill up with saliva.

Whether it's an infection in my mouth, some problem with the gland that regulates saliva, or an anxiety issue, I'm not sure what to do.

I think the source of your problem is spelled out in this post. Your sleeping arrangement is effecting you in a negative way.....you need to fix this problem to fix the swallowing problem.

I advise separate bedrooms. If this is not possible, separate sleeping areas.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 112,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post

yes i have the same problem constant swallowing , feel like i have to much saliva , started spitting alot . i try to stop swallowing but now i have pain in my jaw i think its because im tensing my jaw muscle, its even worse when im around people cant stop thinking about it , it drives me nuts!! maybe it is an anxiety thing but ive never had anxiety problems in the past or maybe it is stress i have been feeling a little stressed recently due to family problems, the symptons are reduced if i drink water or chew gum, i had this problem before lasted bout 7 months then i got ear problem which made me forget about swallowing problem and it just went away but now my ear problem is better and so the swallowing excess saliva seems to have returned i just dont want it to to bother me as long as it did before

Old 02-17-2014, 05:17 PM

40,861 posts, read 32,642,286 times
OP you say you're not under any stress, but even positive changes can be stressful. You and your girlfriend just moved in together - if that's not a big life change I don't know what is.

I think your new habit is anxiety driven. It's a symptom, not a cause. You have to treat the cause to fix the symptom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness