U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 11:57 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,577,105 times

Advertisements

My husband has had gout for years. He isn't that old, only 44. He has been on Allopurinol & Celebrex for a few years and it has kept the gout in check until recently. Over the past month he has had 4 flareups. Does anyone out there have any stories to share regarding things they've done to help gout? My husband works on his feet all day so it's really painful for him when things are flaring up. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 12:52 AM

9,957 posts, read 22,180,346 times
What is your husbands typical diet? Does he drink alot of soft drinks?

Old 11-28-2007, 03:42 AM

51 posts, read 202,869 times
DRINK a LOT of water, stay away from RED MEAT and get on some steriods like prednisone when he has a flare up! My husband has a gout and has had it for years off and on. And those things help!
Good luck!

Old 11-28-2007, 05:47 AM

5,006 posts, read 13,857,104 times
My friend's husband had gout for years. Then he heard about cherry juice and began drinking it. His gout went away. I have heard about cherry juice for that purpose before.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:32 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,395,381 times
My great-grandma used to get Bing cherries and eat them when she had a gout attack

This is the best source I could find in a quick search, it has a huge list of natural remedies/vitamins you could have him try. I hope his gout stops flaring up and you find the cause of it!

Old 11-28-2007, 08:52 AM

5,128 posts, read 10,259,903 times
Staying away from beer and alcohol, seafood and red meat should help. Drink lots of water, or non alcoholic beverages. He should avoid foods rich in protein and purines, which are a suspected cause of gout. 44 is very young to have gout!

Old 11-28-2007, 08:56 AM

690 posts, read 2,401,850 times
Cherry juice/extract/pills definitely work. My husband had an episode with gout about four years ago, and a friend of ours recommended the cherry juice. We went and got some him cherry extract pills, and between that and his avoiding red meat and alcohol, the gout went away pretty quickly.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:20 AM

2,800 posts, read 9,280,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
My friend's husband had gout for years. Then he heard about cherry juice and began drinking it. His gout went away. I have heard about cherry juice for that purpose before.
My dad has gout. We learned about cherry juice AND 100% RED grape juice. Sometimes these are hard to find in your regular grocery store, but you can get them online if nothing else.
Also, the doctor told my dad to limit his intake on red meat, shell fish and especially tomatoes. Not much really seems to help when it flares up, so he tries hard to prevent it.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:00 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,395,381 times
Yikes! I forgot the link in my post above, so sorry. Here it is: Gout Remedies - Health 911

Old 11-28-2007, 01:28 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,505,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
My husband has had gout for years. He isn't that old, only 44. He has been on Allopurinol & Celebrex for a few years and it has kept the gout in check until recently. Over the past month he has had 4 flareups. Does anyone out there have any stories to share regarding things they've done to help gout? My husband works on his feet all day so it's really painful for him when things are flaring up. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Gout!! Things that make you go Owwwwwwwwwwwww!!!
I did a thread a month or so ago on Rheumatoid Arthritis and I have found out and a few people that have tried it testified the fact that taking fresh lemon juice in water the first thing in the morning will, reduce flare up ups, i imagine it acts as an ant-inflammatory; i haven't done any research to attest to this fact.
Just personal experience, it's worked for me and just wanted to share if I can help anyone else; Disclaimer: i'm not implying that one not take their medication;
but the lemon and water(room temp; not cold) worked for several people who tried it.
Hope he feels better
God bless you both
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness