Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 09:46 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,756,465 times

Advertisements

I am wondering about this. Oxygen is oxygen right? And all oxygen tanks that one buys have compressed oxygen that shoots out when you turn the tank on. So if I have an oxygen tank that I use for jewelry making it would be the same if I breathe it in as a tank from a medical supply company. Right? Or am I missing something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 03:29 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,044,216 times
The oxygen is the same initially. The tanks used may not be the exactly the same...the welding tanks may not be fitted out to hold the regulators used for a cannula/mask.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:44 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,592,325 times
I don't know about your jewelry making tank, but O2 comes in different forms of purity. Aviators breathing oxygen is more pure than medical oxygen you would receive in a hospital or medical supply company. If I had to guess I'd say your jewelry O2 would be a lot less pure than your medical O2.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:18 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,044,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I don't know about your jewelry making tank, but O2 comes in different forms of purity. Aviators breathing oxygen is more pure than medical oxygen you would receive in a hospital or medical supply company. If I had to guess I'd say your jewelry O2 would be a lot less pure than your medical O2.
Every link I could pull up says that all tanks are filled from the same base supply.
Impurity possibly could come from the handling and care of the tanks used
Why would you think that pilots deserved or required purer oxygen than people who depend on it for survival ?

"All oxygen supplies come from a very small number of vendors and is normally delivered in 25,000 gallon refrigerated tanks. The manufacturing process is so thorough and clean that the finished product meets all usage specifications right from the tank. However, just to be sure, any lot of oxygen destined to be medical oxygen is batch tested for aromatics (oils, Benzene, and other impurities that appear in the manufacturing equipment). ABO (aviation breathing oxygen) is also tested for moisture content, while welding oxygen comes straight from the vendor with no additional additives or testing.(snip)..........
Although hundreds of FBOs around the country have aviation oxygen available, industrial oxygen (remember, it’s all the same) can also be used for Part 91 operations.
Oxygen Use in Aviation - AOPA

Old 01-17-2014, 04:04 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,592,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Every link I could pull up says that all tanks are filled from the same base supply.
Impurity possibly could come from the handling and care of the tanks used
Why would you think that pilots deserved or required purer oxygen than people who depend on it for survival ?

"All oxygen supplies come from a very small number of vendors and is normally delivered in 25,000 gallon refrigerated tanks. The manufacturing process is so thorough and clean that the finished product meets all usage specifications right from the tank. However, just to be sure, any lot of oxygen destined to be medical oxygen is batch tested for aromatics (oils, Benzene, and other impurities that appear in the manufacturing equipment). ABO (aviation breathing oxygen) is also tested for moisture content, while welding oxygen comes straight from the vendor with no additional additives or testing.(snip)..........
Although hundreds of FBOs around the country have aviation oxygen available, industrial oxygen (remember, it’s all the same) can also be used for Part 91 operations.
Oxygen Use in Aviation - AOPA
You are correct. I wasn't aware that moisture was added to medical oxygen bedside or that it all came from the same source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness