Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 08:01 PM

275 posts, read 1,280,917 times

Advertisements

How late is it too late to make eyeglasses after doctor's optical prescription?

If I have optical prescriptions from different times, will I be able to use any of them to make eyeglasses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 08:09 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,333,992 times
The perscription is good for one year from date of issue.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:15 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,665,464 times
You should use the newest one as being most accurate, if it's still valid.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:47 PM

1,949 posts, read 6,444,400 times
Ive ordered them by mail using an old prescription and they dont bother checking with the doctor to see if it's valid

if your eyes havent changed, it's a waste of money to get a new prescription

to order glasses

Old 02-05-2014, 07:31 PM

344 posts, read 991,695 times
States vary in how long an eyeglass or contact lens prescription is good for. Some are good for one year, some are good for two. I don't know about longer. Can only go on my experience.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:21 PM

44,569 posts, read 61,347,806 times
OP, normally it's good for 1 year. You should always use the latest RX if there has been a change from the previous visit. Checking with your eye doctor would be the wisest. If there has been a minimal change he may suggest you decide if you want to get new glasses and or wait until your next checkup.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:24 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,047,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlee View Post
How late is it too late to make eyeglasses after doctor's optical prescription?

If I have optical prescriptions from different times, will I be able to use any of them to make eyeglasses?
As the others here have astutely mentioned, the convention is 1 year. Of course, your eyes may not have changed during that time and an old prescriptions will do fine, but opticians and optometrists have bills to pay too.

20yrsinBRanson

Old 02-06-2014, 01:07 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,702,293 times
Most opticians refuse to make lenses from a Rx that is more than one year old, but that has absolutely nothing to do with reality. For example, if you have had cataract surgery, every eye professional knows that it is medically impossible for your Rx to change, but they will still refuse to fill it, until you hand over another wad of bills to their friend and neighbor, the optometrist.

As far as I know, there is no state that has actually enacted a law that an optician may not legally use an old Rx to make glasses (my state certainly has not). But the opticians will lie to you and imply, if not state, that it is the law.

Meanwhile, go ahead and order all the glasses you want online for ten bucks a pair. If your optician refuses to honor your Rx and you take your business elsewhere, it's their loss.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,665,464 times
My prescription most certainly DID change about 3 yrs after cataract surgery. I noticed a blurring before I saw my ophthalmologist.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:51 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,047,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Most opticians refuse to make lenses from a Rx that is more than one year old, but that has absolutely nothing to do with reality. For example, if you have had cataract surgery, every eye professional knows that it is medically impossible for your Rx to change, but they will still refuse to fill it, until you hand over another wad of bills to their friend and neighbor, the optometrist.

As far as I know, there is no state that has actually enacted a law that an optician may not legally use an old Rx to make glasses (my state certainly has not). But the opticians will lie to you and imply, if not state, that it is the law.

Meanwhile, go ahead and order all the glasses you want online for ten bucks a pair. If your optician refuses to honor your Rx and you take your business elsewhere, it's their loss.
My husband damaged his frames and wanted to get new glasses so he took his old prescription (2 yrs old) to one of the chain optic centers and they refused to fill the prescription because it was older than one year. But the guy at the counter told us that if he had just brought in his glasses they could have taken the prescription off of them for the replacement glasses. So we went to a different chain optic center and handed over the glasses and they made new glasses based upon those glasses' prescription. So if you don't want to get a new prescription, just have them make lenses off of your old glasses.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness