Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2015, 06:12 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,711,309 times

Advertisements

EB, I hate to say it, but your surgeon sounds like an azz. Might want to change docs. JMHO, have a safe trip and let the healing begin. Please keep posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 07:51 AM

50,082 posts, read 63,445,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Barb........It was posterior. I was under the impression before the surgery that it was to be anterior, but not sure where I got that impression.

I am going back to the docs today. My exercises were coming along decently over the weekend and then on Monday and Tuesday morning. But when I went to do them Tuesday evening I had such stabbing pain in my quad muscle that I couldn't even get through 2 stretches without yelling in pain. I feel as though we are back to square one, as does the therapist. Unfortunately I still couldn't get an appt. directly with the surgeon, but he will be at the office today and will consult with the PA after he takes a look at things. May have to end up doing a MRI or CAT scan to see if there is something weird going on with the muscle.

At this point in time I wish I had never had it done. At least I could walk unassisted before, although in pain. Now I can't even lift my leg out of and then back into bed without help. And of course I can't reach too far because of the "hip cautions". All I can do is lie in bed or sit in my recliner.....and cry several times a day out of frustration. I think of all the people who had it done successfully and can't help but wonder "why me?". We had all these plans for things we would do once it was fixed and now all I can see is darkness in my future.
I am so sorry you are going through this. My husband had his hip replacement in September, and he is also unconvinced he did the right thing. He was doing well immediately after the operation, but then got an infection and had to go back into the hospital to have the incision cleaned out. This caused a set back, and now, after 3 months, he still has some discomfort and a limp. If he knew this was normal, he would just tough it out until the pain goes away, but he is worried that this is a good as it is going to get.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:41 AM

2,361 posts, read 4,851,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am so sorry you are going through this. My husband had his hip replacement in September, and he is also unconvinced he did the right thing. He was doing well immediately after the operation, but then got an infection and had to go back into the hospital to have the incision cleaned out. This caused a set back, and now, after 3 months, he still has some discomfort and a limp. If he knew this was normal, he would just tough it out until the pain goes away, but he is worried that this is a good as it is going to get.
gentlearts.....I'm sorry that your DH is also having problems. I just get so frustrated that the docs seem to take it all so lightly. As I said before, they just move on and we are left with all consequences. I am actually on antibiotics right now because my drain scar has some redness around it and is still sore. I'm thinking that maybe they should send you home with antibiotics.

Like someone else told me, which I finally did, is to really push the doc into doing some testing. My PT also told me that it is a patient's right to see the doc and insist on getting some tests. Luckily I had the appt. with the back doc and he was concerned enough to help or I'm not sure how long it would have taken us to get the tests. I actually have a medical background but still hate to question doctors. They seem to be a lot more arrogant than when I worked in a hospital. Is your DH still doing PT? Maybe he needs a bit more of that? I was also lucky to get a therapist who was a great advocate. Plus, although we are weaning me off the Percoset, I am still taking Tramadol with an extra strength Tylenol booster. Back doc suggested that. I have a friend who had the hip done almost 2 years ago and she still takes the Tramadol each day.

I really hope that both your DH and I are successful in overcoming this. Good luck to him and you.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:07 PM

Yikes, gentlearts, another one gone badly? Do tell. Sorry to hear this.

Is there something we need to do before choosing a surgeon? After hearing this I am going to vet them like they are a candidate for the Pope.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:15 PM

253 posts, read 468,845 times
For both my hip and knee replacements, I decided to find someone who only did hips and knees. In Texas, I went to a Ft. Worth center where the surgeon who did mine founded the practice. He is well known in orthopedic circles and lectures around the country as well as publishes.

It took asking friends, looking up on google search and asking my nurse practitioner for names before I settled on him. I had nothing but success. I have a history of blood clots and a pulmonary embolism, so I was terrified when, at 58 years young, I had to have my hip replaced. He was super cautious and things went so well. Five years later the knee finally got to the replacement point and again, I went to him. Once again, no problems.

I'm not saying he hasn't had patients who did not do as well as I. However, I think if all docs do all day is hip and knee replacements, then they have so much more experience than those who might just do a few per month.

Just my opinion, of course.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:26 AM

Thank you, Shabby, the 'founded the practice' really made me take note.

One orthopedist up here that is really well known and respected moved from the practice that he started and joined a bigger one. One of his patients remarked to me that she thought he moved because then he didn't have to worry about profit and the business side of it and just help people. I dunno what to make of that.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:23 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,536,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Thank you, Shabby, the 'founded the practice' really made me take note.

One orthopedist up here that is really well known and respected moved from the practice that he started and joined a bigger one. One of his patients remarked to me that she thought he moved because then he didn't have to worry about profit and the business side of it and just help people. I dunno what to make of that.
They get paid by the hip. Mine does four per day. Other people get them ready; then he goes in with his hammer and chisel. He probably has a better deal at the new place.

Don't get me wrong. I want the surgeon who makes the most because he's the best, but this is about money.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:39 PM

Yeah, I realize that, HiW. And with the insurance game what it is, they're not millionaires by any means.

I hope you are joking with the hammer and chisel remark.......

Old 01-05-2015, 08:16 PM

2,361 posts, read 4,851,035 times
Unfortunately my surgeon came very highly recommended by people and in the area. He does 20-30 patient surgeries per week for knee & hip. The practice that he works at is very highly regarded. Every time I talked to someone who had it done they gave high praise and went on and on how great he was. It just seems that they are OK with you if things go well, but don't want to be bothered if they don't. I had a feeling that he maybe knew something was off since I had complained about numbness from my groin to my toes from the time I woke up. But they kept brushing it off to other reasons and to just wait. They even had to use the bedpan with me for 2 days because I couldn't stand on that leg and almost fell one day. I complained about my knee feeling like jelly and felt like it was going to buckle out from under me (and I did fall 3 times).......and now I find out that is one of the classic signs of femoral nerve damage. Well I knew something was wrong and my therapist knew something was wrong but no one would listen except for finally my back doctor.

All I know is that I better not have to have anything else replaced as I will be very reluctant if not right down refuse. I know people that have had both hips and knees done by him and were ecstatic. It's just so difficult to find a doctor that will really listen to you because no one knows your body and how it feels more that you!

Oh well, I guess what's done is done and I have to live with it for awhile. If nothing else, this whole thing has caused me to finally understand the phrase "don't sweat the small stuff". I have bigger things to be concerned about other than spilling something in the kitchen, etc. DH had been trying to tell me that for years as I have a short fuse when it comes to myself and getting annoyed with myself, now I understand.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:04 PM

253 posts, read 468,845 times
rothbear...I truly am sorry you have had so much difficulty. Sadly, not all surgeries are 100% but I do agree with you that doctors today do not seem to want to take much time with their patients.

I'm not excusing them by any means, but the way they are paid by insurance companies, they allot only so much time per patient and if they deviate from that short time slot, then they lose money. As someone said earlier, it is about the money it seems.

Hope you improve and again, so sorry you're having these difficulties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness