Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 06:14 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times

Advertisements

I just recovered from a flu, it took me about 2 days and 3 nights to get over it. I haven't had my flu shot in over 2 years. Last year I didn't catch anything at all. But the year before I've had a flu shot but still got the flu and I was out for a whole week. Even the year before that when I caught a bad cold it took me longer to heal even when I had a flu shot already.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:58 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,827 times
Ya know, of all the statistics out there, I wish some on flu shot vs no flu shot were out there (though I'm sure they are).

I work at a university, school of medicine, so of course, they pass out flu shots like candy at Halloween - and many have them. But then, many seem to get the flu - but I'm not sure who is who exactly.

I 'never' get a flu shot (don't recall - I may have had one years ago) -- and I rarely get the flu. In recent years I keep Zicam handy and start taking it at any hint of a bug. This year, when it did seem more were out even more than before, I did seem to be getting a 'bug' and immediately started the Zicam - and it just never developed. Though I felt kind of like I was coming down with something, each morning I didn't have any feeling I "couldn't get out of bed" - and I had little hoarseness and little intermittent cough, it just never got beyond that. And it passed by....

I think flu shots do 'work' -- but I gather (believe I heard) it has to be the same strain as the bug going around. But, I rather invest in my own immune system, if I can. And when I do get a bug, I know I need to work on it. Though I'm getting up there in years at 58 now - and constantly reminded that I'm no spring chicken anymore. Same time, I feel healthy enough otherwise, generally, that I don't yet feel in a 'high risk' group, etc. So at this time I'm staying with the 'no thanks' group.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:14 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,250,908 times
The effectiveness of the vaccine varies. It will be less effective in years when the flu strains that are most common are not covered by the vaccine. This year the most common strains are covered by the vaccine, so it should be more effective. People who get sick despite having the vaccine usually were either already exposed before they took it or were exposed soon after. It takes about two weeks to work. If someone who is vaccinated still gets the flu, it tends to be milder.

If you watch the news reports about people who are being hospitalized, in intensive care, and dying, they are almost always folks who have not been vaccinated.

The flu vaccine is not 100% effective, but the risks of the vaccine are small. The risks of the disease are significant.

CDC - Key Facts About Seasonal Flu Vaccine | Seasonal Influenza (Flu)

Old 01-26-2014, 05:04 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
As Suzy said, it takes about 2 weeks to kick in, so many folks think it didn't work or it "made" them sick if they get the flu in that time period. It works. I am going on 72 and I have been getting theshot since it was first available. Only once did I get sick when it ddidn't match the strain.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:30 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I just recovered from a flu, it took me about 2 days and 3 nights to get over it. I haven't had my flu shot in over 2 years. Last year I didn't catch anything at all. But the year before I've had a flu shot but still got the flu and I was out for a whole week. Even the year before that when I caught a bad cold it took me longer to heal even when I had a flu shot already.
I'm guessing you didn't have influenza. Influenza is a respiratory illness with associated high fever, body aches, cough, etc. It doesn't run it's course in 2 days. If you had influenza you would know and you wouldn't be quite so caviler about the shot. Yes, the shot works for those that get it in time and if they have the right strains in the vaccine. They can't put every strain in the vaccine and the flu virus mutates rather quickly so that changes the effective rate. No, it's not 100% but most years they do pretty well, but it's still not a perfect science. This year's common flu seems to be hitting younger, healthy people very hard and I've known 3 friends of friends that have died from the flu this season, all young, one toddler and 2 40 something adults, none with any history of medical problems.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:34 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
For years we never bothered. But would still get sick. Last year we started getting them and so far it's been worth it.

Given that's they are easy to get (we got our's at the Target Pharmacy) and don't cost a dime with insurance, I kind of feel, why not?

Old 01-26-2014, 08:45 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Every year I am one of the few people at work who doesn't bother with a flu shot, I'm also one of the few people who rarely ever gets a cold, flu, etc. Don't know if that means anything, other than I am lucky enough to have a pretty good immune system going for me. But I see no need to try to fix what ain't broke, so no flu shots for me unless something drastically changes.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:54 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Every year I am one of the few people at work who doesn't bother with a flu shot, I'm also one of the few people who rarely ever gets a cold, flu, etc. Don't know if that means anything, other than I am lucky enough to have a pretty good immune system going for me. But I see no need to try to fix what ain't broke, so no flu shots for me unless something drastically changes.
Probably thank your co-workers for that--since they are getting immunized and not bringing the flu germs into work where you could catch it...

Old 01-26-2014, 09:07 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
He doesn't live at work does he?
His immune system is strong, why should he thank others because they feel theirs isn't?

Old 01-26-2014, 09:22 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
But the year before I've had a flu shot but still got the flu and I was out for a whole week. Even the year before that when I caught a bad cold it took me longer to heal even when I had a flu shot already.
That's because your immune system was already fighting all the toxins in the shot.
Do flu shots really work?
That depends on who you ask. If you ask the great CDC, or some one who works for a pharmaceutical company, of course they'll say yes. Here's the side effects of both the shot and the flu...you choose
According to the CDC side effects of flu shot are:
(mild effects first) fever
runny nose cough and or sore throat
headache runny or stuffy nose
sore throat headache
wheezing body aches
cough chills and fatigue
vomiting nausea and vomiting
fever
muscle aches
(more serious side effects are)
difficulty breathing
swelling around eyes or lips
hives
racing heart
dizziness and high fever

Here are the flu symptoms
fever
cough and or sore throat
runny or stuffy nose
headache and bodyache
chills and fatigue
nausea and vomiting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness